sizes....

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

woo
Expert

sizes....

Post by woo »

I want to know how big the speakers are in my 98 leganza. I searched the forum so i know the fronts are 4.25's, but are the backs 4 by 10's or 6 by 9's?? and also what is the maxumum watt speakers i can run with the stock cd player before i need to get an amp???

edit- can you get the same shaped tweaters as are in the front anywhere or do you have to modify the new ones?
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

The Leganza's front speakers are 6 1/2", not 4 1/4". The rears are 6x9s.

The stock head unit only produces somewhere around 20 watts RMS per channel, which really isn't all that much.

If you want to use an amp with the stock head unit, you are going to need a line output converter. This is to change the speaker level output of the radio to line level output that the amp uses.

Something like this:

http://www.vss-electronics.com/lc300cl.html

If you have any more questions, we're happy to help.

Cliff
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

6.5's and 6x9's....thats much better than i thaught and makes buying speakers much easier because they are pretty standard sizes and i wont need to cut any holes or anything, unluke all my friends cars....finally my woo is better in atleast 1 aspect.
330w carbon kevlar

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Changing the back speakers may be a little tricky.

The speakers do not mount from the bottom of the rear shelf inside the trunk like most cars. They mount from the top and drop down through the cut out holes.

To get them out, you have to remove the back of the back seat, the 3rd brake light, the speaker grilles and the carpeted board thing that is over the rear shelf under the back window.

If you take all that stuff out, it would be a really good idea to install a layer of sound deadening material on top of the metal of the rear shelf before you put the carpeted board shelf cover thing back in.
That will help reduce road noise and also help increase the bass and midbass response.

When you have the front door panels off, it would also be a really good idea to install a layer (or two) of sound deadening on the door metal before putting the panels back on.

Cliff
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

i've taken the backs out before and already put some sound stuff under the speakers to stop viration, which worked. I also took out the screws that hold the grills on so they just sit in, which will make changing speakers a much quicker job.
330w carbon kevlar

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

If you don't have the dash mounted tweeters in your Leganza, I would like to suggest these for your front speakers.

CDT CL6
http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1087

Their off axis staging is great for low mounted door speakers.

Plus, at 80 watts RMS per speaker, they can be powered by an amp, but they are sensitive enough to sound great powered by the stock radio.

They are a good price and have wonderful sound quality.

I only recomend what I have used and know sounds good. :)

Cliff
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

I have these in my Lanos and will most likely put them in my Leganza, too.

http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1083

My only problem is I haven't figured out how to take the dash apart to replace the dash mounted tweeters! LOL

Cliff
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

don't take your dash appart. I havent touched the dash in my car but my brother had to in one of his cars and it was a nightmare, because things were glues and all sorts of things went wrong. Let the pro's do it
330w carbon kevlar

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

These are great for 6x9s: Infinity Reference 9602i

http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1339

Quite often, it's sad to say, but I have found the "pros" know substantially less than I do about installations.
I will work on the dash when I get a service diagram. Until then, the dash is staying in tact.

Some professionals are friggin idiots.
Some, actually have a clue. When you find those, they are good to have around.
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

a service diagram is a good idea
330w carbon kevlar

AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

woo wrote:don't take your dash appart. I havent touched the dash in my car but my brother had to in one of his cars and it was a nightmare, because things were glues and all sorts of things went wrong. Let the pro's do it
Yea, I was going to say that Cliff is a pro.
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

just so you know before you buy one, high-low converters sound like crap with a Leganza Deck. I used one before I bought an after market deck. They provide the RCA out needed for amps but even the best ones don't stand close to a $100 deck.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

asam wrote:just so you know before you buy one, high-low converters sound like crap with a Leganza Deck. I used one before I bought an after market deck. They provide the RCA out needed for amps but even the best ones don't stand close to a $100 deck.
I agree 100% (and then some)! LOL

I just didn't suggest an after market deck in case he wanted to keep his car looking factory to help deter thieves.

One of the reasons the Daewoo factory deck will not sound as good as an after market one when using after market speakers is the output from the Daewoo deck is not 4 ohms per channel as the after market speakers are.

Matching impedence really helps with sound quality. When the impedence of the speakers does not match that of the radio's amplifier, there can be an unblalnced load which can cause the amp to be working too hard. This can cause distortion, overheating or even clipping if the volume is turned up high.

If I remember correctly, the Daewoo stock front speakers are matched at something like 3.2 ohms and the rears at 6.4 ohms ... though I would have to look at them again because I am not sure if that is right; I just remember seeing they were some strange impedence.
After market car speakers are almost always 4 ohms.
So in theory, the radio's internal amplifier's front channel outputs will be producing slightly more wattage to the speakers and less wattage output to the rear speakers.
The front speakers would get louder, but distort sooner, and the back speakers would not get as loud. The sound from the front & rear would not sound balanced.
Good thing you have a fader on the radio! LOL

So ... it is usually a good idea to change the radio if you are going to upgrade the speakers.

Cliff
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

AcingTeam wrote:Yea, I was going to say that Cliff is a pro.
LOL ... Thanks, but I have a LOT to learn.
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

i do plan on getting a new deck in time, but its all a money thing as im only 17. I'm just researching a bit before i go ahead with anything so i know what i want. At the moment Pioneer 300 watt 5 way 6x9s are on special, but it will have to wait.....
330w carbon kevlar