Remove material inlay

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

broken

Remove material inlay

Post by broken »

Does anyone know how to remove this material inlay in the back section of daewoo hatchback... Ive searched in my Daewoo manual but cant find it... thankyou.
benzino
Expert

Re: Remove material inlay

Post by benzino »

as far as i can remember, remove the b-pillar plastic over the seatbelt and you should be able to pull that rear section of plastic out and then i think the material is just held in by metal tabs.

god i hate the material they put in the lanos , do they think in australia we all like kids pyjamas or something?!?!?! :evil:
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
wolfsreign
Expert

Re: Remove material inlay

Post by wolfsreign »

sigh. i still haven't uploaded any pics of my car. re did most of the interior myself. such a pain in the ass.
i painted the plastic and reclothed the area pointed at.
how you do this is:
1. remove rear seat by pulling up on left and right side, towards the front, then 12mm bolt in the middle ish area, loosen
2. pull it out, 17mm bolt for the seat belt, loosen, pull off.
3. optional; as it makes things easier, remove the back back seat, by two 12mm bolts in the left middle, then wiggle it free as its hinged on the other side.
4. lightly pull on the rear side of the panel, there are little plastic pop rivets through out the panel, just like a door panel.
5. once all pulled apart, pull towards front, as it wraps around the edge, and inspect, you'll see/notice two hard Styrofoam pieces glued to the back, the top most one is covering half of the metal tabs needed to undo to pull out the metal piece.
6. slowly/lightly pull the styrofoam from the panel, if wanted to put back on after.
7. use a semi big flat head screwdriver to put under the metal tabs and lever system to pop them up to be perpendicular to the panel. or straight up.
8. pull armrest from panel. voila.

as for me, i used anti-pill fleece. used 3M high intensity spray glue to both sides of fabric, and pressed in from the middle out, then cleaned up the edges.
you can remove the old material, but i found it to be just a little softer with it still on, yes it's not a good mating surface, but i am not driving a show car. :)

to install, basically reverse with common sense. i tried glueing the styrofoam back on, but it just kept falling off i noticed, i think my silicon was old.
also make sure the rear up inside quarter panel overlaps the upper rear corner of the panel. just make sure to remember to slide it on towards the rear as the door part wraps around the edge, bitch to try and do after the rivets are back in.
as the rivets go, im sure one or two holders will break, i just used scotch tape to hold it in. putting it back in, your choice if you want to slide onto the rivets or pop/push them into the hole.

hope it helps, im sure you have no idea what im talking about, but if you go to the junkyard and try it out, before your's, you'll see Everything, exactly, as im sure you'll break something.
hopefully post pics of my interior tomorrow for you. pics of process, probably not going to happen. :/ sorry.
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake