Radio Wiring

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

CaliLanos

Radio Wiring

Post by CaliLanos »

Ok. After a long weekend hell I am starting to work on the Lanos.

The weekend included the the car being towed the day picked up my Pioneer radio. Anyway.

I pulled the original radio, (which did not work even after I obtained the code on this forum :) ) but I saw that the previous owner was not that bright. The wiring harnes was cut in favor of an aftermarket radio used in the past, then when the original radio was reinstalled, the wiring harness was reinstalled. Should have just got wire harness to begin with.

So I went to a Circuit City (Going OOB!) and I picked up a wire harness. I connected the the wires from from the Pioneer to the wire harness and then I went to connect it to the original wire harness in the car and it was not right. The two harnesses connectd together. but the wires were not lined up correctly. It was totally off.

So here is what I need since I am not having much look and I already need to replace two fuses. I need an radio wiring diagram so that I can hook up my radio. I think I have speakers correct, but I need to make sure that I the others correctly.

From the Pioneer wires, i have the constant (yellow wire) and the "terminal controled by ignition switch" (red wire). connected to the yellow wire (in the car radio wires.) This is the only way that the radio will turn on.

Then there was a problem with the radio turning on, and no sound coming out even though I know that the speakers were hooked up correctly. I know this because prior to putting the radio all the way in, the music was coming out of the speakers. So can someone please help me on this?
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

ok so the origional owener cut the harnes for a new radio. they then reinstalled the plug. are all of the wires connected good? did they connect the color wires from the car to the same color wire on hte plug? (ie did they connect red to red, green to green and such)

when you connected the pioneer harness to the adapter harnes did you connect the coler wire to the same color wire ?(red to red, white to white so on and so forth)
if the answer is yes to both questions then you have a different problem.

1. bad radio (even though its new, it can still be bad)
2. all blown speakers
3. incorrectly connected speakers (maybe even cuts in speaker wires)
4. bad connections in the repar or installation

i say go through and reconnect ALL of the connections. the ones on the harnes repair and your own. dont just twist and tape them, use but end crimp connectors like these
make sure you use crimpers and not pliers or vicegrips.
thats "should" fix the problem if its just bad connections. no need for the wire schematic, each wire is its own specific color, as long as that color doesnt change (ie spliceing a different color wire in to it) it will be ok.
good luck, keep us posted

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
CaliLanos

Post by CaliLanos »

The speaker wires on the Pioneer did not match the ones from the car. The ones from the car are not even close to be identical like I have seen on other vehicles. I had to go online to try and find a wiring diagram. Then there are things like Right (-) is green....but there are two green wires that are the exact same color. There are also two wires that are Brown/White and two yellow ones.

But, I have the speakers hooked up correctly now. The only problem I am having now is that the stereo will turn on, music will be playing, and out of nowhere the music will stop. The radio is still on but there is no sound coming out of the speakers. I turn the ignition to off and pull the key out, reinsert it and turn the key on, then the music is playing again. Then it will turn off again :?:

If I mess with the power wire, all of the sudden the sound will start again. But then I secured it real well an I am left with the same problems. I thought if the power wire (yellow) is making a false contact, the radio would turn off. Not the speakers.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

do you still have the plug that they cut off?

CaliLanos

Post by CaliLanos »

Yes, the original plug I have. I was able to use that plus the original stereo had wiring direction on it. That is how I was able to hook up the Speakers. There are only three wire left unplugged, power Antenna, Dimmer, and I forget the last one. There is no dimmer cable on my new radio and I do not have a power antenna so that is not needed either.

I got a few more problems now.

One, when the interior door light is set to the on (when door is opened only), the door open light on the dash turns on when I close all the doors. The light in the dash turns off when open the door. WTF :?:

So i figured I would pull the fuse for the interior light, I pulled it and same thing happend but now the headlights wouldnt go on. I put the fuse back and the headlights when on. That is dubm. The fuse is clearly labed for the interior lights.

All in all. I had to put the light switch for the interior on "off" so that the light in the dash would go off and I do not have lights on the dash and a/c controls, the radio turns on and everything, but there is no sound.
CaliLanos

Post by CaliLanos »

Ok worked on the radio issue again today for a little while. I finally got it so that music is playing. The door light issue is over and I have replaced the necessary fuses. Now the only issue is the cluster and a/c control lights. They are still not on and the rear right speaker is not working since I have not connected it. The stock radio states that the yellow/green wire on the car is one of the wires for the rear right speaker, except that there is power to that wire. So I am guessing that that wire has something to do with the lights that are off.

Can someone please tell me what two wires were connected for the rear rigth speaker and where the yellow/green wire is connected to?
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

I'll get in my lanos tomorrow and see which wires I use...I know if you get your power from the wrong wires your parking lights come on? I had that issue...but I'll get which color wires are speakers, power, acc, and ground for you

Jimmy
CaliLanos

Post by CaliLanos »

That would be really helpful jidasas, I still have not been able to locate a wiring diagram online so I have been driving the car without the interior lights and no rear speaker noise.
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

i hope this helps

on my wiring loom

red- pos(+) ign
yelow - pos(+)
black - earth(-)
blue - power ant
orange - light feed (dims headunit when lights are on)

speakers
purple - right rear
gray - right front
white - left front
green - left rear

this is my lanos loom
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

I completely forgot about this...I'll be home in an hour and I'll write down the wire colors asap and post...I believe mine were different than Jeff's

Jimmy
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i really dont see where your having the problem.
1. install the oem wire harness plug, match the wire colors with their self (ie red to red, balck to black, green to green)
2. match the color wires on the harness plug from the radio to the adapter plug (the one that plugs into your oem harness plug)
3. plug radio harness into radio, and adaptor harness into the cars plug. you should be good to go.
4. if you have a amplifier connect its power on line (not the power cable) to the blue wire in the radio harness plug
Last edited by daewoomofo on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

heres the radio scematic from the manual

but if you have the plug thats cut off then you should be good from what was said in my previous post

Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

you can "pop" the speakers to work out which wires are which

the biggest piece of advice I can give you though is, if you have no idea what you are doing, please take it to someone that does!!

the last thing we want to hear on the forum is a story of someones car going up in flames due to an incorrectly installed electronic component.

but, if you are confident about electronics, get yourself a multimeter or at least a test light and start probing the plug.
if you pop the speakers and probe the plug... you shouldnt need a diagram at all, and in fact when i installed my radio, the diagram was pretty off as far as speaker colour-coding goes.

hope that helps a little,
-Ben
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

ok...my speakers are

brown and yellow

yellow with green stripe and green

blue and brown

and grey and green

I'll look at the location of each speaker too.

I know brown and yellow is the rear left, blue and brown is the front right, and I believe the front left is yellow with the green stripe and green and the right rear is grey and green. I'll check to be sure in the morning when it's light out.

That's the factory wires...not anywhere near what I found in the other cars I've put stereos in.

Jimmy