help! painting dash!

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

elhamy201

Post by elhamy201 »

mmamdouh wrote:i don't know about you guys but i already did that on my Lanos.

you know the Lanos II (AKA Lanos sport) came with silver dash and i was going crazy that i don't have it.

one day i decided to give it a go and spray paint the damn dash and it ended up very nice.

i got into a Lanos II (sport) and saw which parts are in silver and which is blac then i got myself some soft sand paper, silver spray and duct tape and took off the whole dash and started working.

i took off all the A/C control knobs, A/C vents, clock,A/C and hazard switches to make it clear for the paint job... the A/C control cluster was the hardest and most tricky.

first i sand papered the surfaces that are going to be sprayed, the black dash i have got this sort of rough finish that would look bad if painted as it is so i did a lot of sanding till my hands were killing me.

then i masked every space that was not going to be painted as i hate the looks of spray stains on parts that are not supposed to be painted.

i then sprayed every thing like 2 coats or so and left it to dry then the masking tape was taken off... it was really nice.

reinstallation of all that was a bitch :evil: it took me so long to put every thing back on and i broke 2 A/C control clips in the process and i had to take the A/C panel twice after reinstallation... one for a light bulb that was not working and the second for a problem with the blower knob.

anyways after the installation was over and done with it looked very cool and tidy... some of my friends didn't notice that i sprayed the dash, they thought it is the OEM silver dash :twisted:

i also sprayed the oval trim arround the door handles to match the dash and it is quite nice too... i am really happy with the job i did 8)

if you are intrested i can take pics of my dash after the work to see how it ended up.

MMamdouh

yes pic plz :P
orangelmo

Post by orangelmo »

would be easier to just use vinyl dye instead of just spray paint?
Tickle me?! Dont even try it...
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

orangelmo wrote:would be easier to just use vinyl dye instead of just spray paint?
The spray paint is simple though
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Here are pics of my painted dash and door handle trim:

Mid A\C vents and A\C controls

Lower dash part with head unit and equalizer

Left side at power mirror control

Front door handle trim

Gauge cluster

Rear door handle trim

My Pioneer head unit and equalizer

Lower dash

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

That looks really good! :) I've thought about doing that to my car, too.

I noticed several things on your dash are different from mine, probably because yours is a little older model and possibly because you are in a different country.

1) The fan speed control knob between the temperature control and the air vent directiojn control knobs are different.

2) The dash trim around the guage cluster looks like it has wider sides and is a little differently shaped ... but that may because it is silver and I am used to seeing it black.

3) You have a change holder below the left side air vent. That is where my light dimmer control is. The power passanger mirror control is there on some cars, too, like on the Sport model.

4) Your car has no driver side air bag in the steering wheel.

5) There is no rear window defroster / defogger button to the right above the radio that is the black thing across from the A/C button.

Cliff
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you really know how to look at pics man... i like that :wink:

1) yes indeed the controller on my dash is different... actually it looks ugly and i would like to replace it with the one you have, i know what yours looks like 'cause it is on the lanos hatch and Lanos II (AKA sport) we got here.

2) nah... it could be the different color thing... the dashes we got are the same size.

3) yep... i have no power window nor a dimmer so daewoo just made use of the space and made the brilliant change holde... it is usless really because when i put any change in it it falls off (too much acceleration and road bumps). also this is why no body puts anything on the dash while i am driving 'cause it will end up anywhere other than the dash.

4) yes daewoos in Egypt got no driver or passengers airbags... it helps reducing costs knowing that the fastest speed you can legally do in the country is 120 Kmk on one particular highway, other highways are limited to 100 Kms so we don't really drive that fast arround here to have airbags.

same goes for ABS knowing that it never snows and it rairly rains here.

5) we have relativley hot weather in Egypt so frost is never a problem in Egypt, again keeping costs down made the defroster not available.

we use the defroster switch to control the aftermarket fog lights though... getiing an OEM foglight controller is too expensive and this defroster switch is neat and blends well with the surroundings.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BlackleR
Junior

Post by BlackleR »

very nice!
scarr
Junior

Post by scarr »

I also painted my dash and door handles, however, I used white. BUT, I painted the cluster housing white as well, gives it a real neat effect. At night when my lights I get this nifty pin-dot at the end of my speedo needle on the cluster housing. (Makes for a cool non-intended mod) My dash pics are in my members car post. I love my white dash, but I think silver would look really good there as well.