Cool Idea for future Gauge Cluster

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

KnightWalace
Expert

Cool Idea for future Gauge Cluster

Post by KnightWalace »

Ok so it's not really a gauge cluster. Take say. A 5-7" lcd. Have it Highlighting Speed,RPM's, Miles, Heat, A/F Ratio, Oil. Everything you buy aftermarket and use OEM Gauges.

Have it Off set in the dash. Say like right above the center instrument panel. or have one that when powered on pops out.

Have it read out digital Out puts. showing ever 1 rpm gain, every .1 mph gained all of it.

Just something i thought was cool ... no biggy

oh yea then hardwire the radar scanner in. Setting of like dvd sized 5.1 DTS Explosion, something to get your attention... about 10-30 seconds before the radar gun actually hits you.

Wow i love american "Boredism".
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

1. digital is slow....
2. go look in a kadett they once used something like that
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

i didn't say it was a must. but i thought it was a cool idea to share... ...

digital is slow... you can always fix things that are slow.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

if digital is slow, then how come S2000 feature a digital tachometer... I think that digital is always more precise and correct. I mean, why do people convert everything to digital over analog? Simply cause it's better.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

Acing, i fear you following me. LoL ... Yea, it's precise cuz analog, You usually only have . 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500.... it's a guess in between the numbers. Seeing 2545 would just be outright awesome. Knowing exactly your Hp output from you digital dash... Booyah. .. i'm drooling again.
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

digital will always be slower.... why do labo's that need to measure precise spikes and fast changing curency's use analog? cuase digital wouldnt show it proper.
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Why did we lose cassette players and went for CD players.... hmmmmm digital.
Also the watches.... digital is always more precise. Watches with hands tend to get off track with time...

But then again, I guess in some cases digital just wouldn't cut it. BUT it's pretty obvious that the whole world is changing for digital. I wouldn't be surprised if everything would be replaced with digital equipment in the nearest future. Just like in the movie "I, Robot", I don't think they had anything analog in that movie... hehe that movie was pretty good.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

I'm sure when digital is completely configured properly and future configuriations are complete... research and what not.. i'm sure it would be more accurate and faster than analog. Just give it time. ... Analog is dying.
Corbis

Post by Corbis »

Yeah, i agree
If anyone's ever seen an LCD dash off an NX 1600 / 2000 you'll agree it looks pretty sweet
1997 Daewoo Leganza SX
(Midnight Blue Paintjob, Pioneer MP3 Head deck)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/corbis
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

AcingTeam wrote:Why did we lose cassette players and went for CD players.... hmmmmm digital.
CDs replaced analog cassette because of the losses incurred due to the physical media. The tape wears out. CDs last longer before they wear out. Low quality CDs wear out withing a few years. They either just stop playing or the media itself seperates. Hrm.
AcingTeam wrote:Also the watches.... digital is always more precise. Watches with hands tend to get off track with time.
Most of the digital watches I have ever had gain or lose time due to the crystal not being calibrated accurately.
In fact, the most recent ditigal watch I got, last Christmas, gains time so fast I can not rely on it to be even NEAR the righ time. It gains about 8 mins a week!

On the other hand, my self widning Swiss made mechanical watch is so accurate, I have not had to change it's time in almost 4 years, and even then, it was only about 20 seconds slow.

Digital AND analog both depend on the quality and dedication to accuracy used in their production.

Cliff
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:
AcingTeam wrote:Also the watches.... digital is always more precise. Watches with hands tend to get off track with time.
Most of the digital watches I have ever had gain or lose time due to the crystal not being calibrated accurately.
In fact, the most recent ditigal watch I got, last Christmas, gains time so fast I can not rely on it to be even NEAR the righ time. It gains about 8 mins a week!

On the other hand, my self widning Swiss made mechanical watch is so accurate, I have not had to change it's time in almost 4 years, and even then, it was only about 20 seconds slow.

Cliff
ok you're comparing the top analog watch to what kind of digital watch?

I'm sure if you compared the best analog watch to the best digital watch, the digital watch would come out ahead.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The "ATOMIC CLOCK" that everyone sets their time to is digital... it uses the radioactive decay of some isotope (forget which one.... Cs-137??) to calculate the exact time..... when the radioactive decay happens it is read by a detector (geiger muller or scintillator ... I can't remember) which converts that into a digital pulse.... then a computer changes the time display by some very tiny factor. (forgive me if I'm not sure of the exact info.... it's been several years since I studied how the clock works )

Getting back to the display.... today's LCD's are much much much faster, sharper, and less expensive than the technology the used to be in the vehicles.

As far as exact RPM a digital system can run in increments of 10 or 100 or whatever number of RPM so as to make the display stable.

Most Digital displays have a fast reacting bar graph as well as numbers.

I personally plan on having a dedicated AMD K7 system running a 7" widescreen LCD display in the center of where the gauges now sit.

I presently have 3 screens and the other two will get integrated for playing games and watching video/DVD

The great thing about this design is that you can configure the gauges in any format.

I could certainly make a circular gauge on the LCD that would react just like an analog needle.

Unless your car is doing the 1/4 mile in about 3 seconds I don't think your needle will ever move quick enough to become blurred due to limitations of the LCD display.