Blinkers not working

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

frplymstr

Blinkers not working

Post by frplymstr »

Hi Guys, I have a bit of a wierd one for you all.
I have recently pulled out the instrument panel of a 1997 Cielo & when I was replacing it, one of the connections on the back touched the frame a sparked. This blew one of the fuses which also took out the interior light & hazard lights.
I replaced the fuse & the light & hazards work fine, but the blinkers a now not working. I have replaced all the fuses & relays but to no avail.
If any one has any ideas I would be greatly appreciative.
Cheers in advance!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Is your indicator stalk in place correctly? AKa, is it connected? How much of the instrument panel did you take out, did you take the stalks off? It could be broken
SAZ
---------------------
frplymstr

Post by frplymstr »

I have 2 Cielo's & I have swapped everthing from Fuses to relays to the stalk itself & nothing has fixed the problem. All the parts from the car that does not work, works fine in the other car!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Only thing i can advise you to do is trace the wires from the indicator stalk and check. I've honestly no idea besides this, as i donnt know if they run off some sort of management system. I thought it was just the relay that controlled them, but if you've changed the relay and the stalks, and the hazzard lights are working, only thing i can think off is the wires broke betweent he stalk and the indicator.

If your hazzards work, this tells me the wires are fine from the relay to the actual indicator lights, and if your indicators don't work, this tells me there's a fault between the stalk and the indicator relay, which, funnily enough, is the hazzard light relay too, which also says to me that the relays working ok.

Letez know how you get on anyway m8
SAZ
---------------------
frplymstr

Post by frplymstr »

I bypassed the wire from the stalk to the hazards, and then from the stalk to the relay, all to no avail.
It looks like I will have to take her in to the nearest Auto Electrician.
Bugger!!
Cheers for the help Pir0!
gb2615

Post by gb2615 »

Hi frplymstr

I have just read down through this thread. Have you tried shorting out the indicator relay to see if the lights indicators come on but not blink?
I know you said the hazards work for you.
If you short the indicator relay and lights work and if you have replaced the indicator relay and proved that works OK, then the problem must be that supply is not getting to the relay or supply is not getting to the indicator switch on the steering column.
You can probably work out which wire carries the power from the indicator stalk to the relay. If so, test to see if you are getting any power on this wire when the indicator swich is on.
If no power here, then see if you can work out if power is getting to the indicator switch.

I hope this helps.

gb2615
Lanos - Lots of engineering packed into one little space

Lanos SX 1.6lt DOHC 5spd 09/1997 220kms - No Mods
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Perhaps you need to change the blinker fluid.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_pa ... ducts_id=6
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
frplymstr

Post by frplymstr »

Thats the funniest thing I have ever seen! Have you read the reviews by people....Priceless!
I am going to see if any of my mates fall for it!
Oh, and by the way, thanks for the valuable imput!
I found this online & thought it would help people find headlight fluid for there cars!
http://www.jokebanana.com/2006/09/car_service.php