Horn Not working after steering wheel change?

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gavinlanos

Horn Not working after steering wheel change?

Post by gavinlanos »

please if anyone could give me any ideas i have been rebuilding my lanos for the past year and changed the steering wheel the other day, however when i went to rewire the horn to a push button in the dash the horn only seems to work when the cars ignition is totally of, when the cars igniton is on the horn does not work. theere was three wires that came from the original wheel and and im wonderin have i wired them up wrong as im sure one of them was for the airbag, any help would be greatly appriciatted. :(
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Horn as far as I know only uses 2 wires on most cars. Usually one to an outer bit and one directly to the centre of the wheel if it's a push-in-the-middle-for-beep wheel :b Think it's a switch live.

All you need is a push to make switch. And bring the two wires from your horn @ the steering wheel to the dash. If there's 3 connections on your switch for wires I'm guessing it'd be something like common negative in the centre, and 2 positives either side, and one of those postives would be for an illumination.
Although this is unlikely as not bery many push to make switches have illumination, unless it's a locking push to make switch [As in you push it in and it stays in rather than springs back out, then push it in a second time to make it come back out].
SAZ
---------------------
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

Isn't the Lanos driver airbag located in the original steering wheel ?
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

Spider wrote:Isn't the Lanos driver airbag located in the original steering wheel ?
yep

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

daewoomofo wrote:
Spider wrote:Isn't the Lanos driver airbag located in the original steering wheel ?
yep
Do after market steering wheels come equipped with airbags ?

Check out this horn
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... light=horn:
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
gavinlanos

Post by gavinlanos »

there are three wires a green a black and a yellow which i should have mentioned if your saying that two of them are postive which two would you say are?
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

gavinlanos wrote:there are three wires a green a black and a yellow which i should have mentioned if your saying that two of them are postive which two would you say are?
You may first want to research "basic direct current" electricity and how it works,

Than....

All you need is a cheap little test light, the test light bulb will have a red wire and a black wire that are attached to it.
Just touch the red end of the test wire to one end of the unknown wires, than touch the black end to any solid piece of bare metal that is up under the dash (scrape off the surface rust first) If the bulb lights ? You have a positive or "hot" wire.
If it doesn't light? You have a negative or "ground" wire.
You need to have your key in the "on" position for this test.

BTW ? Wondering what you doing about the steering wheel "airbag" factor ?
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

Spider wrote:
daewoomofo wrote:
yep
Do after market steering wheels come equipped with airbags ?

Check out this horn
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... light=horn:
for many people the reason they get aftermarket steering wheels is to get rid of the airbag when it comes to saving weight. but i'd highly recommend getting harnesses if you're not using an airbag.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

I've heard some pretty horrific stories concering seatbelts that go across your chest diagonally.
One was from what a paramedic said to a friend of mines family. My friend's uncle was in an accident and it truely wasnt that bad, but h died at the scene, and the paramedic said it was actually the seatbelt that killed him believe it or not. He said if he wasnt wearing one he probably would have sruvived. The seatbelt was kinda across his neck a bit or something and that was the cause of death.

Dunno if it's true or not but don't see why anyone would make up a story about something like that. And his uncle is dead like.

So, in other words. Harnesses are the shiznit
SAZ
---------------------
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Yeah I've heard about seatbelts causing injuries but usually they help more than hurt. In older cars the seatbelts couldn't be positioned properly and could run too close to your neck and cause enough stress on your neck to choke/break your neck. I've also heard of a decapitation but I'm not sure if that one is true.

Jimmy
Spider
Expert

No one wants to get in a crash...

Post by Spider »

But....
It's a statistically proven fact that cars equipped with airbags that are involved in crashes do save more lives than cars that only have seat belt's
And cars with side airbags offer even more protection than ones with just front bags. Being "T-Boned" (hit from the side) is often more deadly than from the front. Of course there are always rare tragic instances where without the seatbelt (or airbag) the crash victim/s may have lived instead of died.
In a rare instance, I could win a five-million dollar lottery.

I grew up in the pre-seatbelt, pre-airbag days. Back than almost all car crashes, especially the high-speed ones, caused people to either be ejected or crushed with horrible consequences.

Most all insurance company's nowdays will give better rates if you have side and front airbags.
Also ABS brakes.
They should know what safety stuff is best for us. They pay the claims.

:)

P.S.
Most of us have been to auto recycle / salvage yards looking for used parts.
Ever notice the cars with the deployed airbags?
Compare the seats on those cars to the ones that were crashed and didn't have a airbag.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

- -- Thomas Edison