Need Lanos Replacement Keys!

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Need Lanos Replacement Keys!

Post by BosnianLanos »

When I bought my red Lanos, it came with only 1 key. I've already locked myself out once, and while I've been really careful with the key, it's only a matter of time before I either lose my key or do it again. Then the headaches begin.

Which key blanks should I use? Home Depot says they don't have it, and when I told them to try a GM key, they said again they didn't have it. I'm looking on eBay, where the keys are a dime a dozen, but they list Nubiras and Leganzas mainly. Some even list the Aveo and Forenza/Reno as being compatible. Who is right? Can I go down to the Chevy or Suzuki dealership and ask to buy a key blank? Is there a specific car I can ask for at Home Depot. Can I order key blanks for the Nubira and Leganza off eBay? Help! Before I need to change 4 locks!

Also, does the key have some sort of transponder in it to be able to work the immobilizer device, is there an immobilizer?

Thanks guys!
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

If you have a imobilizer you should probably have a "anti-theft" silk screen on the windows. Or look if the original key has some "dot" on the edge like

Daniel
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i got my extra key for the red sedan from the local stealership that services woos. it was like $10 cut for my car and all. from what i know there is no imoblizer device in the lanos, but i could be wrong. i say call the local stealership and ask, the worst thing they can do is say they dont have any.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

got my two spares made at Ace hardware. they just found one of similar size cut it then we tested it. the first one didn't work but the second blank did.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

do you remember what kind of car it came from?

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Spider
Expert

been there, done that.......

Post by Spider »

Forget Home Depot, Wal-mart and most small hardware places.

Clearwater, Tampa Florida?
Those are fairly large cities, right?
Get your phone book out and call around to shops that specialize in key/replacement and cutting.
I found a shop in Bakersfield California and they charged me $7.00 (usd) a key. Had three made. One of em is now hidden up under my car.
(shhhhhhhh, dont' tell anyone)

:)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison