Neons in Leganza SX

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Corbis

Neons in Leganza SX

Post by Corbis »

I had plans to run some laser Led's under the dash , but ran into several problems along the way:

The cigarette lighter delivers no power in my car?
(Just bought the car, never tried to use it until now)

I was going to wire them up properly eventually, and it would be nice if i could run them off my lights

I had a few idea's...

Either:
Through the fuse box in the passenger side ('Instrumentation'? as in instrumentation illumination?)

or using a wire supplying the light to the parker lights?
(or does this mean running a cable from the hood?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
1997 Daewoo Leganza SX
(Midnight Blue Paintjob, Pioneer MP3 Head deck)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/corbis
Tim04
Super

Post by Tim04 »

If it was me I would use a test light for hot(power) on the Cigarette lighters 12v it probably still works :) although it my be constant. I would also follow the ground from the head unit and self tap under it for a clean ground...less work. That ground is usually 12 gauge or better so use a size close to that. Or crimp into the 12v that leads to the glovebox light and use a stand alone fuse. You could also use the ignition remote wire from your headunit to activate the lights when you turn your stereo on.

Numerous Ways...your choice. :D
Corbis

Post by Corbis »

One of the first things I did was test the cigarette lighter with a multimeter - nothing going through there, checked the fuse running to it, hadn't blown.
1997 Daewoo Leganza SX
Corbis

Post by Corbis »

Tim04 wrote:If it was me I would use a test light for hot(power) on the Cigarette lighters 12v it probably still works :) although it my be constant. I would also follow the ground from the head unit and self tap under it for a clean ground...less work. That ground is usually 12 gauge or better so use a size close to that. Or crimp into the 12v that leads to the glovebox light and use a stand alone fuse. You could also use the ignition remote wire from your headunit to activate the lights when you turn your stereo on.

Numerous Ways...your choice. :D
Any easy way i could get to the glovebox light power leads?
1997 Daewoo Leganza SX
Corbis

Post by Corbis »

Tis all over now. After removing the panelling under the steering wheel i noticed that the blank space next to the instrumentation brightness control.

Attached to the back of it was a plug, housing a +12V wire which only supplied power when the parker lights were on - exactly what i wanted.

Just spliced that open, ran the wiring around the slits of the panelling.
1997 Daewoo Leganza SX
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I used my audio system wires for that. Spliced the ground to the stereo's ground and spliced the power to the stereo's power "at all times". Put a switch in the power wire and mounted it on the dash.
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

On My Leganza CDX I ran lights to under my dash outside (Neon light kit) tap the battery, go throught the fire wall (12ga wire) and install a switch ( $3 at pepboys) then you can run power any where. the switch I have has a inline fuse which is at the amperage that the lights require for safety. Good Luck.

Alex