MP3 -> head unit connection...

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Rodd1s
Expert

MP3 -> head unit connection...

Post by Rodd1s »

first of all... i'm getting remotely annoyed by the amount of CDs that are laying around in my car. and i've decided that the best option would be to hook an MP3 player up to the head unit.

good idea, i thought...but, big problem!

i want to know how/where (if possible) to connect the cable that goes to the MP3. at the back of my head unit, there are the usual plugs that send the sound out to the speakers... so it wont plug in there. then there is the the aerial/receiving input line thing. and finally, there is the connection for an amp (pre-amp out)

is it possible to connect an MP3 player to this sort of head unit? or will i need a different head unit?

the head unit spec:
JVC KD-G111 (with 2V line-out)
45Wx4
non-mp3 CD compatible.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

you could get a thingy that will pay it over the radio on a station of your choice, i cant remember what its called ,but they do exist, just go to a local electronics store they will know what is called

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

yeah i've got something similar to that, except it works with a microphone, i know exactly what you mean 'mofo.
thats an option, but i'd also like to try and make a cable connection. if possible.
Wooboy

Post by Wooboy »

I use my 4G Ipod in my Woo using a small transmitter that just plugs into the top of the ipod. Its called an Itrip and is made by a company called Griffin.

I've just got it playing to the standard Woo radio and it sounds Ok. (I did have a kenwood head unit but its having power issues at the moment)

Another brand is Belkin and you'll find plenty of both brands on ebay and lots of others as well that will fit most MP3 players

Cya, Wooboy.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

thanx... the other day a frend of mine recommended that i get and iTrip. or something similar..

thing is tho. when i checked my MP3 is broken now. the headphone jack/socket has a loose connection. so i'll hav to get a new MP3 first.
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

If you don't have a AUX-Input then the only thing you can really use is a FM Modulator - £29.99 in Maplin, maybe less on ebay.

It gives you 2 x Phono sockets for your AUX in, and goes in the aerial connection (like the old PS1 and PS2 cables were before SCART).
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
thecruelangel

Post by thecruelangel »

Just buy a new radio?

I picked up a Sony GT200S for 99 euro's in the netherlands.
Specs:

# With aux-input (front) for MP3 player (or other random device)
# 3 bands equalizer with 7 presets
# Drive-S system (beats me)
# Phone Mute
# Power: 4 x 50 watt, mosfet
# 1 pre-out (subwoofer ready)

Put some extra power in my 20 watts espero speakers rofl

+ It has MP3CD Support and nifty red leds :)
BOSCHMANN PR 9448ny
Max/RMS vermogen: 500W Max/ 250W RMS
Edman

Here's what I did! With my Cell phone/Mp3 player

Post by Edman »

I wanted to hook-up new Verizon phone with mp3 to my car. I realized my older Sony stereo had a aux switch, but no input jack in the front. That meant my aux hook-up was in the back of the stereo! So, I took a look and realized all I needed was a Y-style RCA cable with audio jack. I went to Frys Electronic to buy the Y-style RCA cable (3.50)and a smaller jack adapter($2.50).

If you have a AUX input jack infrot of your stereo, than you just need a double ended male cable and your done!

I hooked up the Y-cable, put the stereo back in and ran the cable under my ashtry. The RCA y-cable only came with a 3.5 male jack, so I bought a 2.5 adapter to fit my phone! Its working good so far, some tracks don't play well. I guess it's because they're recordings of recordings, it has a low sound. I can call someone and the sound comes through the speakers, but can't take back.

My next project is to modify a earphone/mic setup to work in my car. When I'm listening to music off my phone with headphones, it'll interupt/pause the music to let me know I have a call. If I chosse to answer, I press a button on the earphone mic and the call comes through. I the next week or two I should have this mod done!

Edman