Battery and Brake Indicator are both on when I drive ?!?!

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Merocks

Battery and Brake Indicator are both on when I drive ?!?!

Post by Merocks »

Hello everyone..Well my Leggy is acting up..I finally got my alternator running...bought a new one installed it..car is great..however about two days ago both my brake and battery indicator are on, they are not lit that well, however if I step on brake, then they become more well-lit. Is this a sensor in my car? or could it really be my brakes and battery? My brakes give me no indication of a prob when I am driving, I am leaning toward a sensor problem. I have a 2001 Leganza CDX with 41, 000 miles on it..Anyone have this problem? Thanks for your help and effort
Mer
AcingTeam
Expert

Re: Battery and Brake Indicator are both on when I drive ?!?

Post by AcingTeam »

Merocks wrote:Hello everyone..Well my Leggy is acting up..I finally got my alternator running...bought a new one installed it..car is great..however about two days ago both my brake and battery indicator are on, they are not lit that well, however if I step on brake, then they become more well-lit. Is this a sensor in my car? or could it really be my brakes and battery? My brakes give me no indication of a prob when I am driving, I am leaning toward a sensor problem. I have a 2001 Leganza CDX with 41, 000 miles on it..Anyone have this problem? Thanks for your help and effort
Mer
Have you checked your brake fluid level??? Check it, and if it's too low, add more and the sensor will clear the light.
daewooluvr
Expert

Re: Battery and Brake Indicator are both on when I drive ?!?

Post by daewooluvr »

AcingTeam wrote: Have you checked your brake fluid level??? Check it, and if it's too low, add more and the sensor will clear the light.
If your brake fluid is low and you don't have a leak, that means you need brake pads.

As for the battery, it may need to be replaced if you ran with a bad alternator for too long. Constantly draining on the battery due to poor charging system will greatly shorten the life of a battery.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Well that happened to me when my alternator belt broke once... :roll:

Also check the tension of the alternator belt, and also the conector plug on the alternator.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
Merocks

Belts?

Post by Merocks »

How many belts does the car have?
I changed one already..which is the serpentine belt.
I was reading in the manual that it may be my actual timing belt...any thoughts?
richardmatalon
Junior

Post by richardmatalon »

if the car is driving, it aint the timing belt, if the timing belt broke, ur car would stop running and then wouldn't start, which I wouldn't recomend you try start it as you would destroy some valves and maybe some pistons too.
2.0 dohc turbo
Garret T3 turbo
Custom Intercooler
Custom Everything
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

guys i have other idea here... Merocks said the indicators are not lit that well so it migt be some screwup in the wiring or so rather than a real brakes\battery problem.

anyways it is east to make sure of that:

Battery check: turn on you high beams and start the engine... a healthy battery can do the job easly.

or press the horn and start the engine... if the horn tone changes dramatically then the battery is weak.

Brakes check: take off your front wheels and inspect your pads... see if any esbestos left on them.

if both are OK then it is an electrical screw up... look for messed up wires and sockets and stuff like that... especially around where the people that installed your alternator used to work.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I'd suggest taking to a local parts store that does free battery testing.

Also a loose connection for the gauges could be culprit.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
bsharon

Post by bsharon »

I just got something in the mail yesterday with that same problem . The brakelights problem. it is a recal. Suzuki sent me the paperwork, take it back to the daeler.

Later
B
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

bsharon wrote:I just got something in the mail yesterday with that same problem . The brakelights problem. it is a recal. Suzuki sent me the paperwork, take it back to the daeler.

Later
B
Isnt that just for the forenza though?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

The old MK2 supras has that problem when upgrading a 82-83 model with a newer alt. Check your wiring. Something is not connected right.
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!
Merocks

Electronical Updatw

Post by Merocks »

Hey guys..
Thanks for all the replies...Just took the battery in, I thought it may have to be that I needed to get a new battery, but nope the indicators are still coming on..will have to take it in for closer inspection.
Merone
Nurse Wratchet

Post by Nurse Wratchet »

I looked into that break recall and it's trigger by pulling up on your brake instead of pushing it down. When you pull the brake up with your foot, which could be done unconsciously, it disengages the wutchamacalit and to make a long story short, you have big problems. I know it's a problem with Forenzas, maybe it's not for yours? But either way....I'm screwed :D haha
Size DOES Matter In my Engine that is ;)
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

Ok wierd thing but I had the brake (ABS) light coming on. I was pissed because I had just checked my brakes and everything.....and saw no problems. So I thought it might be a fuse problem. I went into the fuse box and found the problem. For some reason the fuse had some kind of white paint on it. I sanded it off and have no seen the light since and its been over a year. And just so you know the abs works fine....had it kick in a few times when i was driving in the snow.
Stay in control with Hankook's weather...or not technology.
CustomVW

I have same problem

Post by CustomVW »

battery is new and voltage is 14+ when i rev it up, but drops under load....