In-dash computer + touch screen

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

FAC

In-dash computer + touch screen

Post by FAC »

I am thinking about fitting my Lanos with a pc computer and a touchscreen. I want to use it as an mp3 player, video player, and for navigation with gps. I want to mount the computer in the dashboard where the radio is, and put the screen over it. Has anyone here done anything similar?

Since I know absolutely nothing about cars (yet) I have no idea how this will affect the electrical system in the car, would I perhaps be putting to much load on it? I already have a power amp in the trunk hooked up to the battery. Are there any considerations to be made you guys can think of. Any advice is appreciated.
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

I saw in a mag that someone Retrofitted a mini-pc (those 2-3 inch cubes),
into a lexus GS300.

You'll probably want grounding wires. possibly a better battery and alternator.

But thats just my guess i'm not a man of car and electronics.. but i sure know me some computers.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

see how much a "drivesoft" is. those usually have things like gps, computer functions, phone functions, radar detector functions, and everything else you can imagine on board.

the mini pc would be an ok idea except that the programming would suck a big one. making a touch screen as a custom application is a pain.

there are several after-market pc systems for your car, the limiting factor is money :roll:

my two cents

that's a drivesoft
http://www.drivesoft.net
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

drivesoft is alot of moeny.. i looked into it.. its way cheaper to find your self a really reallly small board and a screen and pop it in..

one problem is going ot be power.. you are going to need to find a 12 computer power supply
jorge
Expert

Post by jorge »

Using a power inverter :idea:
Con mas mec.s que un taller jajajajaja Mec. Diaz, Mec. Cheo Racing, Mec. eljunito, y ed flash tunning simplemente los mejores!
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

yes power inverter.. already thought about it.. you would have to make sure it is SST and another problem.. how you going to get the computer to start up with your car?? and shut down with the car.. you can always power it up manualy when you start your car then power it down manually but in my opinion that would suck.. im sure you will find something on the market that will do all this for you automaticly.. i remember seeing it somewhere but didnt have a price on it
KnightWalace
Expert

Post by KnightWalace »

You'll probably have to hard kill it. (just killing the power.)

have it set in the bios to automatically restart after power failure.
2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Stock.. Till summer (good job coming)

RRM Turbo Kit
VRS 3" Exhaust with a MeganRacing Carbon Fiber muffler.
Some other goodies.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

you can only do that so many times before it kills the computer
FAC

Post by FAC »

There are power supplies available that startup and shutdown the computer with the car, so that isn't a problem. Giving it power won't be a problem. Mounting it might be a bit of a hazzle, but what I'm most worried about is putting to much load on the electrical system.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i dont think a computer will put to much of a load on the system.. try getting a optima yellow top.. that would fix any problem if there was one
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Who said the pc had to turn off and on with the car?

Got dual batteries :-D
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
orangelmo

Post by orangelmo »

if you're really interested in putting a carpc in your woo you should read up in the mp3car.com. that should answer a lot of your questions like feeding power, hooking it up to your electrical system etc.

its really not that hard at all. it all depends on how clean you want the fab work to be.
Tickle me?! Dont even try it...
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

My best friend Jeremy recently built a PC into his car.
WiFi connection, 7" LCD touch screen, GPS with full navigation, FM stereo, hard drive for MP3s loaded over the wireless network, and touch screen control for his Sirius and XM satellite radios.

His car is the only one in the world with computer controlled touch screen satellite radio as he reverse engineered the satellite radios and wrote the software for it himself.

He as a 12V ATX regulated power supply and a 2nd battery, which he chose an Optima Yellowtop that is in his trunk.
The PC is a mini PC located in a custom metal case mounted under the passanger seat.

If you want more information from him, go to his web site: http://www.ItsOnSirius.com and contact with his email address at the bottom.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

i remember like a year ago i was at a car show and this guy with a big boat hoopty called me over and was like "you wanna see my computer?" i'm sitting there thinking maybe he's working his car inside out then i see an old ass macintosh in a wood frame and a huge tower that had a 9 inch floppy drive and a mouse that he had to use on the palm of his hand. :shock: he really thought he was the shit too and i just laughed and walked away. :lol:

oh and he didn't do a damn thing to the interior either. :lol:

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
Brian5475E
Expert

Post by Brian5475E »

you better vent for that computer. remember computers put off alot of heat. could melt plastic
Aveo that moves! Now I need those cams!