Adding an amp and subs

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

n8r

Adding an amp and subs

Post by n8r »

I am probably going to be getting a Reno pretty soon, and since I am not going to be overly concerned with power (which will be hard for me, I am a big american v8 kinda person) since the performance aftermarket isn't too large yet, I am going to begin with audio. Since the stock system is decent, and I don't have the money to drop on a new cd player (at least the one I want) anyway, I was going to start with an amp and subs. My question is this: How hard will it be to add an amp and subs to the stock system? Is it even possible? I am no noob when it comes to audio and electronics, so I am not afriad of slicing, dicing and splicing, but I was just wondering what all would go into it. Thanks folks.
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

you would only need an RCA adapter type thingy. i don't know the actual name if its not called that. :roll: just go to any sound place and ask for the adapters for a stock unit. shouldn't cost too much. then hook it all up yourself.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
n8r

Post by n8r »

Alright, yeah, I think I know what you are talking about. I appreciate the quick reply!
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

no problem man. make sure to take pics of what you do if you do get the car and the system.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

good luck with the reno! I have a forenza
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
green30

Post by green30 »

yeah, it's possible. I got my stock deck in my reno, and took it to my local radio shack and they hooked it all up for me. Don't know the exact parts though (sorry). Let me tell ya though, ya don't need much to get the ol' reno bumpin off the ground. i got 2 MTX 4000's 10in and i'm satisfied.
free7megs

Post by free7megs »

the part you are referring to is a line output convertor, i have an optra5 with an oem deck and i do not have one of these as they are not required.

my amp (audiobahn a8000t) has speaker level inputs as well as rca inputs, the amp is just spliced into one of my rear speaker wires. check it out in my sig, bottom pic, you can't really see much of it but the speaker level inputs are at the top right of the amp.