Trying to use sedan power window controls for power locks...

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

2woo4you0

Trying to use sedan power window controls for power locks...

Post by 2woo4you0 »

This week I've been helping a friend do reverse glow type gauge cluster, a/c controls, as well as changing all the colors of the back lighting and to LEDs. We've changed all of the indicator light, a/c lights including the rear defogger and a/c buttons. I especially like the white a/c controls (the paper like piece) as I've never seen anyone do it before. We both have Lanos sport interiors, bodys, ect and we grabbed the driver door to change the power options back lighting to blue LEDs (not realizing they didn't have back lighting) when we realized that neither of our Lanos sport doors panels had power locks. However we took apart the power switch piece to try to add LED lighting into it anyway and found two extra switches that weren't didn't have everything to allow them to be operational. Sorry I don't have pictures but under the door panel the switches for the windows and the box that protects whatever circuitry it has. There were two extra switches that had everything except the switches themselves you see on the outside of the door panel and the holes/slots for those switches. This is because it's cheaper for manufactures to make one power switch versus two and just not connect/leave out the options that aren't needed.... which I'm sure allot of you are familiar with. At first we assumed the extra switches were for Lanos' with power locks and realized it is more likely for the sedan Lanos' rear power windows?

My friend realized if we got a sedan driver side power window switches that we could just tap into the connector that connects into the power switch box and instead of hooking them up to windows like it's made for we could hook them up to actuators and have power locks. Although power locks only need one switch since pulling up could be lock and pushed down unlock... so maybe we could use the other switch for a trunk actuator. Or the extra switch could be pushed up for trunk actuator and push down to pop the gas lid but I'm not sure how easy that'd be as I assume the gas lid uses a cable. Or you could do something like having the extra switch turn a ignition kill switch on/off. Either way I'm excited because I hate adding switches into a car even if they're really cleanly installed.

I think he has it all worked out, I've never pushed myself to learn electrical stuff other than lighting. He said he knows it well but hasn't done any real projects as it's usually better for him to just buy what's needed versus all the time it would take to build. So If we get stuck or have question I opened this topic, I also thought some of you would be interested in this fairly simple and cheap mod...maybe $50 tops if you have Sport panels already. Actuators can be found in a pair for less than $20 shipped. Fortunately he has several actuators from a used car he bought. He already thinks he found two 4 door master switches for $50 shipped but needs to make sure they're correct/good condition.

Few question and pictures I would like if anyone can help:
1) Can someone with a Lanos sedan, and power windows with the switches in the door (not the center console) please confirm these switches are for the rear windows?
2) I'd like a picture of the power switches in the drivers door with four switches? It would be nice if you had some pictures of it broken down and the connectors but I don't expect you to spend the time tearing it apart. If you really want to help test the wires at the connector going into the case to see which wires are which. If you need help on how to do that you can PM me. Though we should be able to figure it out fairly easily.
3) Can someone post pictures of the Lanos with power option in the center console? Break down pictures would be nice as well. I've never seen them and am interested. If I ever need switches for something I could add the center console and use the OEM switches. Something on the line of nitrous would be neat.
4) Do any of the Lanos come with power locks? and is the only difference whether the power switches are in the door or center console between sport and non-sport equipped with power options?

Thank you for any help you can provide. I'm sure my friend has a camera so I'll try to document this for those of you interested.