Astra 120Amp alternator ((Swap done))

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mohmedhat
Junior

Astra 120Amp alternator ((Swap done))

Post by mohmedhat »

i installed the electro-hydrolic power steering pump in my lanos and as you know it sucks a lot of Amp. do i need to change the week lanos alternator (80 ~ 90 Amp) by a bigger one?

do the astra one (120Amp) fit directly? do you have any suggestions??
Last edited by mohmedhat on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mohmedhat
Junior

Re: Astra 120Amp alternator

Post by mohmedhat »

what if i some how changed the alternator polly with bigger diameter one? will it drive the alternator faster and let it feed more Amp?
mohmedhat
Junior

Re: Astra 120Amp alternator ((Swap done))

Post by mohmedhat »

I upgraded my alternator yesterday, it make a touchable HID brightness and all other electrical functions are working better. now the swap required a slight workshop modification as if you looked at both alternators in below photo:
you will see in right is the lanos alternator and left is the opel 120A alternator, i modified the base so it can fit opel alternator as in in below simple drawing:
and it worked perfectly
Last edited by mohmedhat on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Nice! Are the pulleys well aligned?
mohmedhat
Junior

Post by mohmedhat »

Yes, pullies are very well aligned as all mesurement did in workshop was taken related to the pulley (somehow like what alternators photo shows) so that the modification done to the base kept the pulley position in the same place, and it's not that hard to do.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

was the lanos one not working well with the P/S pump or did you do it just to make sure?

I'm hoping my 2.0L alternator has enough amps.

From my research, both the leganza alt and the 120amp astra alt produce 64amps @ idle (850rpm?) the difference is in the max. amp output

I'm not sure about what the lanos 1.6l one is though...

congrats on the swap

you should take pictures of the power steering pump mounted up.
I'm just having a bracket made up to go where you put yours, it sure is a tight fit between the battery and coolant reservoir. What high pressure hose did you use? or did you get one made up?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
mohmedhat
Junior

Post by mohmedhat »

As far as i know opel is well known by its high output alternators as the electro-hydrolic steering pump is used in most of it's cars and it sucks a lot of amperage more over other car accessories.

As per Daewoo User Manual their is only 2 models of altenators one for hot area 95A and one for cold area 85A and that is not depending on the engine size.

I did the alternator swap just to be sure it's not the problem in my steering noise and vibration, but it make a difference as I described above in other functions and accessories.

For the steering pump i was going to make a topic for all the swap but as i'm still not feeling happy with the sound and vibration i get from it randomly while turning, i had no motivation to do it, but asper your request here is the photos:

Hoses:
Electrical connections:
I still didn't remove old mechanic pump hoses

For the pressure and return lines, yes i special made it in a hydrolic hoses work shop. wheni found out what is the cause of that random noise and vibration as per my distress http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=14256 i promise i will remove the batter ans the coolant tank and take clear photos for all the swap from the 1st step, but god help me to find out the reason!!
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

ah, because my lanos is RHD the brake booster and master cylinder on the other side of the engine bay, so there's a lot more room

my guess the noise is the pump hitting something like the strut tower. when you turn right, the g force pushes the pump towards the left
it could also be fouling on the battery, one of the rubber mounts (with the nut and bolt) for the pump rubbed on my battery when i was test fitting it
mohmedhat
Junior

Post by mohmedhat »

But I see & feel vibration in the rack and steering wheel during the noise!
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

If you can get it to do it when the car is stationary, maybe get someone to look in the engine bay to see whats making then noise.

Is the hose from the pump to the rack solid or does it have 'soft' hose as well?
mohmedhat
Junior

Post by mohmedhat »

not a direct solid tube it has a pressure hose between two solid tubes!

something like this one but mine is about 35cm

is it wrong to use rubber hoses in the pressure line? i take a look on the original steering pump connections and it was a complete solid tube for pressure line and tube+hose for return line!
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

no,
rubber hose is good to have, it soaks up some of the vibrations

as i said, if it can do it when stationary, get someone to check it while you're turning the wheel
2woo4you0

Post by 2woo4you0 »

benzino wrote:was the lanos one not working well with the P/S pump or did you do it just to make sure?

I'm hoping my 2.0L alternator has enough amps.

From my research, both the leganza alt and the 120amp astra alt produce 64amps @ idle (850rpm?) the difference is in the max. amp output

I'm not sure about what the lanos 1.6l one is though...

congrats on the swap

you should take pictures of the power steering pump mounted up.
I'm just having a bracket made up to go where you put yours, it sure is a tight fit between the battery and coolant reservoir. What high pressure hose did you use? or did you get one made up?
Lanos 1.6l in USA is 85amp... and Forenza/Reno is 120amp which is the same as the Legg if I remember correctly.