Power windows going mad!

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

dleganza333

Power windows going mad!

Post by dleganza333 »

I am new to this forum, but it seems great!
I have a 2001 Leganza

And this has been happening for a month now.

The windows wont go up or down, when you try them you will hear a clicking like sound.
and sometimes the power window buttons will lock or unlock the doors (and no the windows still wont work.
Also I noticed when this is happening
and you use the rear defrost, that will lock or unlock the doors as well.
And whats weird is sometimes, just for a little bit of time, every thing will be working again
but once I shut the car off it will be back to the electrical system being whacked out again.

I checked the relay and all the fuses seem good.

Has anyone had an issue like this before?

Any info would be helpful. I have been seaching around and have found nothing.

However I did see where someone had my same issue (on a diffrent page)

and had no response.

Thanks,
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

maybe that "snail" kind of shape on the window motor cracked, pull it out and look for damage
placilla

Re: Power windows going mad!

Post by placilla »

have you had any luck with your windows? I was that other post and had no luck. I have not messed with it, but I am starting to look into it now. I'll let you know if I find anything out
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

all i can say is that its either a wiring problem, like some wires melted and crossed... lol.
or it would be relays.. might have some how polarized backwards.
ive never heard of anything like this, but my 2cents...
along with that, buddha, great idea, any clicking... go to the source and check for something out of the ordinary.. how do you know, ebay the item and look at the pictures, or google pictures.

usually if it clicks, means gears or the motor attachments are slipping... which is not cool at all.
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
vul750

Post by vul750 »

I had the same problem and fixed it running a ground wire from the black wire on the drivers door power window switches to a ground screw under the dash. There is a ground connection missing from that switch and I couldn't find it so I just put a new wire.
Good Luck.
placilla

Post by placilla »

Thanks vul750, that fix my problem. After a year I now have windows again, I would have never figure that out. I am glad I didnt purchase another set of switches.
chiefmbull

Post by chiefmbull »

I'm having this same problem and I've tried running a ground wire to no avail. The clicking sound is coming from the window switch assembly. I can also hear a grinding sound coming from the central door lock mounted behind the driver side kick panel. I've had this problem for over a year now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

chiefmbull wrote:I'm having this same problem and I've tried running a ground wire to no avail. The clicking sound is coming from the window switch assembly. I can also hear a grinding sound coming from the central door lock mounted behind the driver side kick panel. I've had this problem for over a year now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
do you have any of the other symptoms?

if yes, it's a wiring problem
if no, it's a window motor problem or an isolated wiring problem
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
chiefmbull

Post by chiefmbull »

I do have other problems. The dome light will not come on when I open the drivers door but it will come on when any other door is opened. I'm sure that it's a wiring problem, I've just not been able to find a way to fix it. I'm about to give up on it and just junk it.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

oh come on that's no fun
be a detective and follow the clues... at least try and then if you can't, junk it
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~