Amps and subs

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

Amps and subs

Post by kinkyllama »

Ive heard both very bad and very good things about sony amps and subs. . . what do you guys think about them?

Also, who do you think makes the best subs and who do you think makes the best amps?

Im going to be redoing my system soon but im haivng a hard time finding the best ones. Someone tells me a bad think about a brand that the last person says is the best and so forth. . .

thanks guys
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

I'm not a big fan of sony but some of their high end stuff sounds ok.

Some good brands for amps are Pheonix Gold, Polk, Audiobahn, JL and Visonic.

Some good sub companies are Lanzar, Soundstream, Pheonix Gold, Visonk, Polk and JL.

I won't buy JL because they are way over priced and are over-rated.

In my Leganza I have 2 12" Polk GSX and Pheonix Gold 4.0.2 amp. Sounds great in a custom vented box, and since all of my suff was given to me I can't complain.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i had some polks, put them in my fiberglass kick pannel box and sounded like shit, went and bought some 20$ boss subs and they out perform polk hands down for only 20$

that was 2 years ago so now they could be better, i dont know, i just didnt like them then

i like the older and some new cerwin vegas, cant go wrong with them
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

My advice is, if they sell them in Wal-Mart, then you probably shouldn't buy them.

Also, WooHoo a Sub will only sound good if it's in the proper enclosure.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

well for me i think kicker is pretty good. they make both amps and subs. plus their amps are true wattage meaning what ever it says is what it pushes constantly. most amps like say Sony might say like 800 watts but that means it hit 800 watts maybe once out of a thousand times and they put that as the power on it. the other amps ppl posted are true wattage as well. i just like kicker personally.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

i know sony and even rockford overrate all there products and alotta people say bad things about sony because of that but thats the only thing they say about them. Im interested in sony xplod subs i like the looks. . . but i definitly prefer sound and quality and some of seam to be good subs but i dont know how truthfull they really are
UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

Post by UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM »

i am not to kean on sony either, they are ok for the money, but if you want quality, you should consider something else.

you should really get an idea of home much money you want to spend, and budget accordingly.

kicker subs are amazing, my mate has 2 x 15in kicker square L7's 1000w RMS and they are extremely loud, you cant sit in the car!

you should also consider the cost of decent power cable, power caps, bigger batterys.

sub box sizes and quality also make a big difference, if the box isnt the right size, the subs wont work as well, and thats even more so for ported / vented boxes. they require proper sized boxes.

on a low budget sony or jbl are ok,

next up are things like kenwood and alpine

then top of the range are things like kicker, JL audio but they are loads more exspensive, and require huge amounts of power, etc., anyway, thats just my input.

give a price and what you want, and im sure people will give you recommendations. rez
for uk street racing, check www.essexracers.com
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

well i got a deal with an audio installation shop and im getting all the work (im having a custom box built in my spare tired compartment in the trunk so that the subs and amp will all be shown through plexi glass) and wires for free. So i just need to buy the subs. . and amp. but for now i only wanna buy two 10s cuz i already have a 1100 watt amp for now. As for price i dont definitly dont wanna spend over $300 a sub and thats pushing it. I only want a 10 inch and nothing else
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

My advice is, if they sell them in Wal-Mart, then you probably shouldn't buy them.
walmart.... well thats a true and not true all at the same time, at walmart the car audio department is only as good as the department manager wants it to be. they have the ablilitties to order what they will think will sell. the walmart i work at (me incharge of dairy) doesnt have jack shit because the dumb old man that runs the auto department doesnt know whats what and doesnt care. i have been to a walmart in california that had mufflers, euro tails, spoils, subs and amps from lots of makes including JL and this wasnt even a supercenter like what i work at

but i agree, sony doesnt make the best but if thats all you can afford then thats all you get, just remember though you do get what you pay for
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Ya theres a walmart by my house (not a super) and they have sooo many different brands of subs, amps, full exhaust sytems (mostly for civics) and all the stuff.

A couple weeks ago i saw a guy carrying a HKS cat-back exhaust from target
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... BIN_Stores

let me know what you think about this... its half of the price that cardomain offers and like 1/4 of what audio express offers (they rip people off anyways) Too good to be true?
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

Crutchfield Price= $199.99

I all around good sub. I like the power series but those are like $400. Good deal and probably a nice sounding ten. might want to double up if you want good bass.
asam
Expert

Post by asam »

Make sure you port the box
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I'd be getting two or three... my biggest problem would be affording the amp to power them
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

If you get 3, remember to calculate the ohm load that the amp will see so that you can buy an amp that will handle the impedence.

If you make the impedence too low, you can burn out the amp or make it go into protection mode and turn off.

With the impedence too high, you won't get as much power out of the amp and the subs won't perform as well as they could.

Cliff