Newbie with questions

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

tlcmbc

Newbie with questions

Post by tlcmbc »

Just bought a 2000 Lanos and have some questions. No matter where I set the control, I can't get the air to the dash vents for defrost. It only blows from the dash. Is there a way to fix this? Even if I can only get it to come out of the defrosters, I can live with that. Next, it looks like from some paperwork I found that the timing belt was replaced around 45000 miles. The car has 78000 on it now. I understand the belt has been a problem on these cars, so am I going to have a problem anytime soon? I drive 400 mi a week. Lastly, on the shifter there is a button that says power. What is it for as it does not seem to do anything. Thanks, Tim
buddha102
Expert

Re: Newbie with questions

Post by buddha102 »

tlcmbc wrote:Just bought a 2000 Lanos and have some questions. No matter where I set the control, I can't get the air to the dash vents for defrost. It only blows from the dash. Is there a way to fix this? Even if I can only get it to come out of the defrosters, I can live with that. Next, it looks like from some paperwork I found that the timing belt was replaced around 45000 miles. The car has 78000 on it now. I understand the belt has been a problem on these cars, so am I going to have a problem anytime soon? I drive 400 mi a week. Lastly, on the shifter there is a button that says power. What is it for as it does not seem to do anything. Thanks, Tim
i think the link might be broken or something... you have to fallow it and see if it came off or something. I say change it at 80-85K (my opinion), better safe then sorry.

Power button is for "racing". It actually changes gears at higher rpm. like instead of shifting at 6200 RPM, it will shift 6700 RPM (that is if u got the car pedal to the metal) ;)

what kind of lanos is it? Hatchback? 4dr?

btw, WELCOME TIM :D
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the reason your air can only blow from the vents is that the sleve for the cables that link the knob to the actual thing that changes the air direction have broken. for a temporary fix what you can do (and ive done on my car at times) is, look under the dash on the drivers side foot well (asumeing you have a left had drive car), yuo will see what looks like a cable like you would use for hand brakes on a bicycle. its attached to a white thing, you should be able to slike the little tab on the white thing around. i cant remember if its all the way up or all the way down but one way will give you defrost. this pic of my car with the dash removed is the best i can do to explain where it is, the little red arrow is pointing to it
HPIM16952.jpg
(220.14 KiB) Downloaded 360 times

to perminatly fix the problem you will have to find out which end of the cable sleve is broken and fix it with super glue and a bit of electrical tape. its a common problem with the lanos

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

like mofo said, common problem. ive had 2 of the 3 cables snap already. gorilla glued it, almost works like a charm.. just make sure you have the fittings to almost perfect tightness, or you'll be off a spot on the selector.

the timing belt, Daewoo says replace ever 60k but people on the forums say 40-50k, so i would go with 85k ish, or even 80k.
(its a pain to fix it if youre by yourself if its a DIY project. @.@ )

the "power" button, like buddha said, changes the shifting spots, meaning running non-pwr mode or "economic mode" usually it will shift at the soonest point to keep the engine rpm down. (requires less fuel)
when you press the power button, you go into the (i think) "Power mode" (forgot what the manual calls it) and then this shifts at higher rpms so then you can go "faster".
ie normal mode 1st to 2nd is 4k rpm, pwr mode 1st to 2nd is 6k rpm.

my story, mine wasnt working either so i did some digging around on the gear selector, and found the 2 small little wires were sheared in half. literally.
when you put the ignition to "on" ur pwr light should come on. (that lets you know the light works)
next when you push the power button, the pwr light should come on within a second, and youre in "power mode"
if this doesnt happen, take a screw driver and un screw one or two little screws on the gear selector, and the thing should come right off. (pull up)

look at the little wires, (should be white and blue) if the hand knob comes right off, the wires are cut, if it keeps from coming off and you cant pull the wires out, the wires are intact.
to fix the cut wires, take out the middle console thing, by unscrewing it, and man handling it alittle to pull it out.
(1 screw front driver, 1 screw front passenger, 1 screw behind drivers seat, 1 screw behind passenger seat. pull the back part out a bit, 1 screw in the middle (those are all the screws))
the white connector is for the power wires.
just make sure everything's intact, and not loose.

anyother question, feel free.
(putting it back is just putting the screws back in. reverse order)
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
tlcmbc

Post by tlcmbc »

Thanks for all the help. Mine is the 4 door. I will take your advise on having the belt changed pretty soon. Do I need to go to a GM dealer to have it done and how much does it cost?
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

um.. you can use the daewoo dealer locator: http://www.daewoous.com/Locator.aspx
enter ur info and itll find a close daeler for you. (if you want a dealer)
or find a close autoparts store and DIY.

cost wise, all depends m8. labor+part cost.
idk where you live either. also have to find/know a trust worthy mechanic.
best of luck.
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
tlcmbc

Post by tlcmbc »

daewoomofo, I followed your instructions and now have defrosters. Very easy so if I want to change positions for airflow I now can. Thanks Again,Tim
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

hey no problem, glad i could help

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!