Who can reset an airbag light?

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

wessock
Junior

Who can reset an airbag light?

Post by wessock »

I know you can't reset the stupid light yourself, but what places can exactly? Can any shop do it or does it have to be a dealer who still covers Daewoos? Would a Chevy dealer be able to? Also, would they charge me to do it do you think? It's annoying, but not really worth paying for or making an appointment for. Can they just walk out to my car with a scan tool or would they have to pull it in their garage and all of that stuff?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Can they just walk out to my car with a scan tool or would they have to pull it in their garage and all of that stuff?
To my knowledge that depends of fault type.

External fault code (like a bad contact at a connector) can be ereased with the dedicated Scantool (dealer :cry: ) "on the parking lot" after defect is repaired.

Internal fault (defective sensing module, deployed air-bag,...) are not "Scantool" ereasable and parts needs to be changed (dealer :cry: :cry: :cry: )

There's maybe a hope: the connector's sensing module has a shorting bar build-in that lit the air-bag bulb if incorrectly fitted. Just a hope.

Daniel
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

The light came on a year or so ago when I lost power in the car when the battery died. No code shows up on a typical Autozone scanner. As far as I know there is nothing actually wrong with anything airbag related. Just need the light cleared. So in that situation, my questions still stand.
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

I think that you have to go to the guy having the "official" Scantool since those kind of error codes were not "public".
Stealership, I'm afraid :( .

Hope it helps...a little.
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

Ok what I figured, thanks. Think they'll charge me just to clear the code? Any idea if a chevy dealer could do it?
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

wessock wrote:Ok what I figured, thanks. Think they'll charge me just to clear the code? Any idea if a chevy dealer could do it?
what about autozone? they might do it for free? ;)
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

Nah their scanners don't see the airbag code.
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

my dealer couldn't clear mine...they said the scantool they used to have when they sold daewoo's has long since been disposed of (a guy I know there said they sold it).

Jimmy
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

Well I have a dealer that isn't too far away that services Woos still. I'm trying to avoid them since they didn't bother to clear the code and another CEL when I took my lanos there for some recalls last year. Haha, they didn't even bother reconnecting my radio or putting it all the way back in the dash. I was hoping Chevy dealers could do it since they have Aveos, plus they are a lot closer.
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

Well the Dealer, Rothrock in Allentown PA, wanted $90 to clear a code! I literally laughed in their face and walked out. I'm not paying $90 to turn off a light so I'll live with it.