My horn is tempermental it works when it wants to. WHY???

Car Audio, Controllers, Wiring, Seats, Carpet, Interior painting, and more...

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

mattman702
Junior

My horn is tempermental it works when it wants to. WHY???

Post by mattman702 »

My horn is tempermental and dosent work sometimes I will have to press the buttons like 20 times befor the horn will finally go off? i figured it has to be loose wiring. But im not sure . Someone please help me!!! tell me what to do! this lady almost hit me the other day and i couldnt even honk!
its true you dont know how much you need something untill its gone lol!! lol
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Horns are one of the things I hate to repair.... they can be a huge pain.

I'm assuming you have two horn buttons on your wheel so if neither works it must be the wiring or the horns themselves (I think my Lanos has two)

You could test your horn(s) by removing the connector and very carefully running 12V to one terminal on horn and ground to the other.

If your not familiar with wiring you should find someone to help you.... even an electrician will have a general knowledge of how to trace wiring.

If the horn(s) are nice and loud then it's your wiring which can be a real nightmare sometimes due to the way the wiring is setup inside the steering column.

If all else fails you could allways do what I did on my 1967 Volks Beetle and add a button on the dash with wiring directly to the horn

Good luck....may the wiring gods smile upon you and guide you to a simple solution. :wink:
mattman702
Junior

Post by mattman702 »

lol thaks alot!!!!! i have my mechanic comin over hopefully today!! becaue i dont want to flub anything up but yes i do have to buttons! and the horn is loud when it works! thank you!
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

LOL sounds like my car
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

is it a lanos??

their is this issue with lanos horn circuit were the connection between the steering wheel and the rest of the circuit is based on a copper rod on a spring that is contactiong a copper ring on the steering wheel thus allowing the commection to be establesed when you turn the wheel

some times the connection gets dirty and you won't be able to operate the horn unless you turn the wheel a little bit left or right... if this is the case then you need to clean this connector... it is accessable by removing the upper plastic cover that is right behind the wheel.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
whitetiger2nv
Junior

Post by whitetiger2nv »

yeh my horn is a shit too....it works when i dont need it...then when somebody cuts me off or does something stupid on the road n i go to press the horn it doesnt work, so i hafta rely on the middle finger...
Daewoo Lanos 2000 HB
17" Gestalt Virouge Rims
205/40/R17 Tyres
4.5" Canon Exhaust
broken

Post by broken »

MMamdouh wrote:is it a lanos??

their is this issue with lanos horn circuit were the connection between the steering wheel and the rest of the circuit is based on a copper rod on a spring that is contactiong a copper ring on the steering wheel thus allowing the commection to be establesed when you turn the wheel

some times the connection gets dirty and you won't be able to operate the horn unless you turn the wheel a little bit left or right... if this is the case then you need to clean this connector... it is accessable by removing the upper plastic cover that is right behind the wheel.

MMamdouh
Thats exactly whats happened to mine , btw when removing the upper plastic cover.. is it a case of just prying it off with a scewdriver? thankyou. :)
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the right and you will find a small cross headed screw... undo that then turn the wheel 180 degrees to the left to undo the other screw and after that you can pull the upper cover up to clear the spring loaded copper rod that is causing the problem

my electrician added a bit of soldering material on the tip of the rod just to make it longer as it got corroded by usage and it was too short to function

(that will sound horrible if we were discussing another kind of "rod") :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267