Replacing the front shocks!

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

frplymstr

Replacing the front shocks!

Post by frplymstr »

Hi All, I am just wanting to confirm whether or not I can replace the front shocks without having to take the whole front suspension off my car!
I have a 97 Cielo, 5 speed SOHC.
Cheers!
gse_turbo
DTM Daewoo Mod

Post by gse_turbo »

sorry mate the complete assembly, steering nickel and all has to come out.
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

The hardest part about this is breaking the Strut away from the Wishbone.

Other than that, it's pretty straight forward.

Wheel off, take off hub nut. Hit shaft with some form of hammer to loosen it, sometimes best to do with the hubnut still on incase you flatten a thread or 2. Take off the caliper and tie it up out of the road. Take off the bolt where the track rod arm connects to the strut. Take off the bolt from the balljoint where the strut connects to the wish bone, and take the strut away from the wish bone. If you hit the bottom of the wishbone a few thumps with a lump hammer it should shake most of it loose, then you just pull the wish bone down and take the ball joint out of the socket in the strut. Once you've this done you can take the Shaft out of the strut, and go on to loosening the 2 top bolts at the strut-top that hold it in place, the whole strut should fall down at this point.

Don't think i've missed anything there..

Once you've done that its straight forward enough getting the spring off etc. Make sure you use spring clamps :D

Oh, one other thing, the bolt that holds the shock in, at the top of the strut, might be worth breaking loose before you take the strut out, cause it can be a bit awkward when the struts on the floor.
SAZ
---------------------
frplymstr

Post by frplymstr »

Thanks for the info guys! I will have to wait till after Chrissy before I get a chance to do it now!