bent a buncha stuff

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

bent a buncha stuff

Post by kinkyllama »

Well I was screwing around as always in an empty parking lot getting the back end out with the E-brake then keeping it out by tapping the brakes. I've done this before and had a pretty good hand at it. I tried shifting into third at 55mph when the back end went all the way out making me run into a curb.

Anyways just got back from the shop, RF strut, lower control arm (again), and subframe on right side are all bent. Oh and the axle boots ripped. I'm not too worried about everything other than the subframe. What does this mean? Is it fixable or worth fixing? what effects will it have?

I planned on going to boshart motorsports in about 4 weeks to have KW suspension put in so I think I'm just going to garage the car until then and tow it there so I can save the money on labor and dont have to replace the strut thats gonna be replaced anyways.

Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
Dillon
Expert

Post by Dillon »

your gonna have to get a new subframe once its bent it cant be fixed... im not sure if the ones in daewoos are welded or bolted... and wether or not its worth it im not sure..

KDM 2.0 Nubira
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

You bent your subframe :shock:

I smashed the hell out of my control arm and there was no damage to the subframe.... the wheel was pushed back 6" and was in full contact with the back of the inner fender/frame.

It wasn't really driveable but I didn't want to stick around and have people asking questions so I drove it anyways.... what a squeeling sound that made... you could smell the burning rubber as it removed all the undercoating and part of the tire on the trip back to my shop.

I had a quote on a subframe from an autowrecker... as I was worried I damaged mine...it was fairly cheap... roughly $150

It's pretty easy to replace.... just four big bolts and a few things up top.

My strut was fine.... I thought it was bent but once I removed the control arm I realized everything was perfectly fine.... the soft rubber strut mounts allow for massive deflection angles without stressing the strut.

Anyways.... I just thought I'd let you know about my experience with it.... hopefully you can get everything fixed up cheap.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

Damn Kinky that sucks.
T18SED Engine.

lanowoo
Expert

Post by lanowoo »

dern, thats awful. hope u can get it all fixed.
WOOOOO HOOOOO for a DAEWOO!!
-SRI -RE:APC STAINLESS STEEL PERFORMANCE FILTER
-VALVE COVER VENT FILTER
-CUSTOM ROD CRYSTAL DRIVING LIGHTS
-1200W AMP WITH 12" SUB -KICKS WOO BUTT!!!!!
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:You bent your subframe :shock:

I smashed the hell out of my control arm and there was no damage to the subframe.... the wheel was pushed back 6" and was in full contact with the back of the inner fender/frame.

It wasn't really driveable but I didn't want to stick around and have people asking questions so I drove it anyways.... what a squeeling sound that made... you could smell the burning rubber as it removed all the undercoating and part of the tire on the trip back to my shop.

I had a quote on a subframe from an autowrecker... as I was worried I damaged mine...it was fairly cheap... roughly $150

It's pretty easy to replace.... just four big bolts and a few things up top.

My strut was fine.... I thought it was bent but once I removed the control arm I realized everything was perfectly fine.... the soft rubber strut mounts allow for massive deflection angles without stressing the strut.

Anyways.... I just thought I'd let you know about my experience with it.... hopefully you can get everything fixed up cheap.
Thanks for the info. The rear actually came in contact with the curb first then snapped the front around. I think the rear went over the curb but I'm suprised it didnt get damaged at all. My front wheel got all messed up as well and lost about 3-4inches of the lip but the tire still held air all the way home.

Just found bolts? Isnt the suspension and one engine mount connected to that subframe?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Yes... the control arms are mounted on the subframe and yes.... a couple things up top... I thought it was a tranny mount... been a while... could have been an engine mount... and there is also part of the steering attached to it.

Up top I don't think there are more than two or three things attached to the subframe... which litterally takes about 10 minutes to remove.

I had to replace the driver side control arm, sway bar link and sway bar.... everything else was fine.

I thought the strut was screwed for sure....it was pointing back at a 20 degree angle.... eveything looked really bad.... my sway bar what contacting my drive axle... so I cut it off to make sure it didn't damage anything.

In the end.... it only cost me a couple hundred dollars.... well worth the fun I had that night.

If you do have subframe damage I'd suggest contacting an autowrecker to see if you can get the subframe, both control arms, sway bar and sway bar links as a package..... it might not be easy to find but it's worth it.

That way you just have to support the engine from above, separate the control arms from the suspension, remove the sway bar links, undo the bolts above (mount + steering connection) and then drop the whole thing down and put the new one on.

I'm guessing roughly four hours worth of work depending on how experienced you are and what tools you have available.

A shop should be able to do it in less time... but odds are they are still going to charge a pretty penny for the repair work.

My fender is also crunched up.... the wheel hit it when it was pushed back... I really really really wanted the widebody kit for the Forenza to adapt to my car so that I could get rid of all the damage to my car ( one of my customers backed into my parked car... so the rear bumper and fender are also damaged )

Once I get some money from my company year end I'm seriously contemplating purchasing the 15+ Kits the manufacuturer required.

Tom was originally trying to work something out so that he could purchase a smaller number of the kits in conjunction with another company that buys off the manufacturer but those guys ended up being idiots (long story) so in the end my deposit on a kit was returned by 360 Dynamics.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

chris@PrecisionBoost wrote:
If you do have subframe damage I'd suggest contacting an autowrecker to see if you can get the subframe, both control arms, sway bar and sway bar links as a package..... it might not be easy to find but it's worth it.

Once I get some money from my company year end I'm seriously contemplating purchasing the 15+ Kits the manufacuturer required.

Tom was originally trying to work something out so that he could purchase a smaller number of the kits in conjunction with another company that buys off the manufacturer but those guys ended up being idiots (long story) so in the end my deposit on a kit was returned by 360 Dynamics.
I have BMS sway bars. An alignment shop told me my subframe was bent.. along with everything else. Should I get it checked my someone else to be sure? Last time they told me my lower control arm and possible other things were bent but it turned out nothing was and the steering rack was just pushed to one side.

That'd be awesome.. thats probably when I'd be wanting one if not a bit sooner. Is a wide bodyied kit really worth it? I think we could get enough rubber under the car that it wouldnt be worth it. I'm putting 17x7.5 on soon and am going to probably be putting 235/40/17 azenis rt-615 which is more rubber than I need. Or if I think I could fit it they have 255 azenis or 245 hankooks which are almost as good. I have 225s on there now with no problems but I know BMS has 215s on a 7.5inch wheel with a slight more drop than my car and it rubs in the back but thats without rolled fenders
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
aveo04slvr

Post by aveo04slvr »

I had shitty tires, and slid into a 6 inch curb at the mall in the snow, i bent the lower conrtoll arm, it was a pain to get off, but i replaced it, I may have damaged the strue, i can't seem to get it tight, if i kick the wheel when it's on jackstands the strut moves, but there are no bolts holding it on anyway, so i rerally don't know. it drives perfectly srtaight though
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

kinkyllama wrote: I have BMS sway bars. An alignment shop told me my subframe was bent.. along with everything else. Should I get it checked my someone else to be sure? Last time they told me my lower control arm and possible other things were bent but it turned out nothing was and the steering rack was just pushed to one side.
bump. Could an alignment shop know the subframes bent? Last time I went there they said my lower control arm was, and other stuff might be and wanted to sent me to another shop to take measurments.. in the end it turned out the steering rack was just pushed to one side.

Looking from the outside.. the fender doesnt align with the door, but does this mean the subframes bent?

How should I go about taking off the suspension parts? What do I need to compress the spring, can I get something for cheap?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

an alighnment shop can tell that for sure.

if the the fender doesnt align with the door then something is bent... subframe or not needs the expertes of an alighnment shop.

does the wheel "look" dislocated under the wheel well? when i had my spin back in November i could see my left rear wheel is not correctly located under the wheel well, i lost all the negative camber due to a bent axel.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

MMamdouh wrote:an alighnment shop can tell that for sure.

if the the fender doesnt align with the door then something is bent... subframe or not needs the expertes of an alighnment shop.

does the wheel "look" dislocated under the wheel well? when i had my spin back in November i could see my left rear wheel is not correctly located under the wheel well, i lost all the negative camber due to a bent axel.

MMamdouh
Yeah, but last time they told me thigns were bent it turned out nothing was. I KNOW this time things are bent.. the wheel is wayyy outta place. I just cant tell for sure if the subframes bent. It appears the sheet metal on the outsides bent and the subframe isnt, though you cant really tell if the subframe is
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

go to another shop or two... can't rely on one opinion when it is something that subistantial.

i went to 3 alighnment shops to make sure my rear suspension member is bent or not, two said it is OK and one said it was bent... the one that said it was bent said so by just looking at the rear left wheel without actually taking any measurments, after he took the measurments he said "yeah it is slightly bent" so it seems that some of those guys just tries to rip you off as soon as yuo say "i hit a curb or so".

the last guy i visited got no info from me whatsoever... i told him "the rear wheel got a hit" and he asked "which one?" i told him "find it yourself"... he spent some 15 min taking measurments both with the PC alighnment tools he got as well as manual measurments, in the end he said the rear is perfictly alighned.

so don't just rely on one shop and don't gice too much info on the issue you are having, let them do the hard work and earn thier money... also playing the ignorant could give you very good feedback if the guy you are dealing with is honest or just trying to rip you off by bluffing and all.

i had one guy tell me that a particular kumho tire is very good as it has center grooves to defuse water and the side grooves to defuse oil... WTF??

i gave him enough confedence that i know nothing about tires at all so that encouraged him to come up with this stupid idea to convince me with those tires... of corse i didn't take them as they were too ugly and old too- he said that manufacturing date means nothing as well - so you can see not all those guys are honest and a muly opinion is highly recommended.

MMamdouh
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

I'll try to get it to another shop. It's pretty hard since I have to stay under 20mph. Also, alignment shops dont replace subframes do they? So they wouldnt say mine was bent just to make money
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

not sure about replacments capability but in here they attempt to fix bent stuff with hydraulic machines that are almost like hydraulic car jacks in order to get every thing back in shape... those things are expensive.

again i am not sure about how things go in the US so they might tell you its bent to start using them expensive tools and all.

MMamdouh