Headlights seem very dull

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

norbie
Expert

Headlights seem very dull

Post by norbie »

Ever since I've had my car I've found that the lights aren't very strong - can't see very well in the dark at all.

At work we sell these bulbs which advertise to be 50% brighter than standard ones and come in sizes like H4 and H7

Are these just a simple changing over job?
Which size would I need?
Is there something else I can do to make them brighter? The dimmer switch is set to direct the lights straight forward.
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

The Lanos uses 9007-Type headlight bulbs. The best suggestion I can give you is to buy Sylvania Silverstars. Silverstars are the brightest legal halogen bulbs on the US market (I don't know if they sell in the UK). They are a simple switch and give you much MUCH better illumination of the road. I rate them at a 500% increase over stock and maybe a 300% increase over the Nokya Arctic White bulbs I had.

By the way, the dimmer switch has nothing to do with the headlight aiming, it only adjusts the brightness of the interior lights. Don't aim your headlights any differently or you will either be blind, or will have a nice conversation with an officer of the law.
norbie
Expert

Post by norbie »

I take it they just go straight into the stock lights?

I've heard rumours that halogen bulb spray everywhere if you dont have a proper controller for them.

By dimmer switch I meant the thing near the ignition where you can control whether they go alongside the bank more, or focused on the road more.

Are these ok?
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/produc ... 683&page=1
Can't seem to get the ones you said in the UK, although they ring a bell so I'll have to check what the ones at work are.
1999 3-door HB Lanos 1349cc SOHC - 16" Alloys, Short Ram Intake, Strutbar, Alarm & Remote Locking, Electric Windows, CarPC!
www.norbie.co.uk
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

eurodm silverstars are brighter than usdm or e code what ever you want to call them.

i no longer trust cheap bubls my cusin had them and the bulb it self melted.

also upgrade wiring, search for my old of a quick run down on how to do it.
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting