Hella 500's

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

nderryking

Hella 500's

Post by nderryking »

I have a pair of Hella 500's that I'm going to mount on my Lanos. I'm trying to figure out the best location to mount them (and a method for mounting them.) Has anyone done anything similar?

The two options I can really see are to either mount them using custom brackets above the bumper (above the license plate) or mounting them lower near the OEM driving light location.

Any thoughts?
nderryking

Post by nderryking »

Kinda like this....

nderryking

Post by nderryking »

All done!

They actually turned out pretty sweet. I used the picture as a guide and mounted them the same way. I haven't hooked up the electronics yet... maybe tomorrow. My roommate says they look pretty silly with the covers on them, and I tend to agree. They look better without the covers.

The only troublesome part is that I had to use a hacksaw to remove parts of the plastic lip from the top of the bumper. Fortunately, the lip is behind the hood when the hood is closed so you can't see it (even if I ever decide to remove the lights.)

I'll post a pic tomorrow. I'll write up a supply list and procedure too if anyone is interested.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Hmm I want to see this :twisted:
ImageImage
nderryking

Post by nderryking »

mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Take another from above and other one from the side.... :arrow: Oh and one mothe w\ the lights on. :twisted:
ImageImage
nderryking

Post by nderryking »

mocpac_ser wrote:Take another from above and other one from the side.... :arrow: Oh and one mothe w\ the lights on. :twisted:
Will do. Unfortunately I have not hooked up the wiring yet. That needs to wait until I have a day off when its NOT raining :roll:. I'll also try to take some pictures that aren't quite so dark.

The lights are actually bolted to 1 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick pieces of aluminum that exit/enter the vehicle right between the bumper and the hood.

I also did a little more work since that picture was taken. The aluminum pieces were shortened by about 1" (the lights are now even closer to the grill) because I had more clearance when the hood was opened than I needed. I now have about 1/4" inch clearance when the hood is opened. I also shortened the attachment bolts. If you look closely in the picture, you can see the bolt ends below the lights in the picture. Those are now gone. :idea:
nderryking

Post by nderryking »

Image[/img]
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

looks good, you conect them to the fogligth sistem or to the front lights?
ImageImage
anesTHEtic34

Post by anesTHEtic34 »

looks like a clean install, but i'm not too crazy about where you put them. i really don't see a good place for them on that particular bumper. those would look pimpshit in the stock foglight position on a 2001 Lanos Sport.

okay, so i'm no text artist, but here's an idea. x marks the spot.

note: after drawing this i realized everybody probably knows where the stock position of foglights are on a 01 lanos sport and i wasted my time. oh friggin well.
...________
../.................\
/__________\
|O__###__O|
|x_________x|
U...................U
if i could change the way you look at me
i'd carve your eyes out with a knife.
nderryking

Post by nderryking »

yep. I agree with you they'd probably look better there. In fact, that is where I was originally going to put them. Unfortunately, they simply won't fit there without some major work. The openings are simply too small and oddly shaped to accomidate them without some cutting and perhaps fiberglass work.

Ever notice how big and bulky the driving light openings are on a Subaru? They're nearly twice as big as the Lanos openings.
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

And what you think, in the middle of the bumper between the stock foglighs. :?:
ImageImage
nderryking

Post by nderryking »

mocpac_ser wrote:And what you think, in the middle of the bumper between the stock foglighs. :?:
I tried there too. The problem with that location is that the bottom of the Hella's drop slightly below the the bottom edge of the bumper. That, of course, means that I would be minus 2 Hella lights on the first speedbump.