Fiberglass hood

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Fiberglass hood

Post by PrecisionBoost »

It seems that it would be cheaper to go with a fiberglass hood than a carbon fiber hood.

I personally want the weight savings vs the factory steel hood and would paint it the same color as my car so I don't really care if it's carbon fiber.

We can get a super light fiberglass hood made and it will be very durable.

We've had the Carbon Fiber hood "who is interested" up here for quite some time and the number of people who have responded doesn't come close to the amount required to make the hoods (need minimum of 20 orders to start production)

Any questions or comments will be answered......... so who is interested??

I don't know the price but a quick guess is $300 to $350 USD (depends on how many people order)
KeNiCHi

Post by KeNiCHi »

Is not a bad idea, but what about the air takes?
Goldenboy
Super

Post by Goldenboy »

YEah I would be interested but...the thing is if I'm changing my hodd I want it to have a god look with fenders and nice curve....:) If there is a good design made i'm in.

Mat 8)
mattman702
Junior

Post by mattman702 »

hell yeah count me in !!! but i have a leganza!! does this matter?
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I would require seeing some pics before I drop any money.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Pics would be nice but unless there is enough interest there is no point in starting the molds.

They cost about $5000 each so they are far from cheap.

As per the manufacturer, he is a retired fellow who owned a very large fiberglass manufacturing company that made all kinds of cool parts for trucks and cars.

He sold his business a few months back but still has all the equipment for making molds.

He showed me a skidoo hood that weighed all of about 1 pound....then he jumped on it and walked all over it to show how durable it is.

When he got off it the hood popped back into shape with no indications of damage.

If I could get him to make me a hood that weighed 5 lbs that would be a huge weight savings.
DarkLiquidDragon

Post by DarkLiquidDragon »

5000 each hood? OUCH! I think I'd rather spend that 5000 on my engine, lol.

Robert
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

Erfinder wrote:Pics would be nice but unless there is enough interest there is no point in starting the molds.

They cost about $5000 each so they are far from cheap.

As per the manufacturer, he is a retired fellow who owned a very large fiberglass manufacturing company that made all kinds of cool parts for trucks and cars.

He sold his business a few months back but still has all the equipment for making molds.

He showed me a skidoo hood that weighed all of about 1 pound....then he jumped on it and walked all over it to show how durable it is.

When he got off it the hood popped back into shape with no indications of damage.

If I could get him to make me a hood that weighed 5 lbs that would be a huge weight savings.
$5000 for a hood, screw that. I already had a completely custom CF hood quoted at $1000. That guys on crack.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Ehhhhhhh!!!!! :shock:

5k for a hood Ja!!! With that amount of $$$ I can buy 4 wheel w\ tires. ! body kit Spoiler. $ Racing sits All the gauges and a good sound sistem...... :evil:
ImageImage
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

its expensive, but a least he's trying to find decent manufacturer ..

Erfinder keep up the good work friend 8)
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
KeNiCHi

Post by KeNiCHi »

He was talking about the MOLDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

Ok that's better... But in any case the manufacturer keep the mold on his possetion so he can make more. How much is the price for hood I can talk about it w\ the club here to chk for people interested. :twisted:
ImageImage
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The urethane vacume mold of the hood is $5000 and if I pay for it then it is mine to do with as I please. ( Ideally it would be nice to do a "join venture" with the manufacturer)

I am guessing the price of a super light fiberglass hood to be $300 to $350 USD (as I said in the very first quote)

The price totally depends on the quantity of hoods.

Think about it this way..... if only 10 hoods were made $500 would have to be tacked onto the cost of each hood to break even on the mold cost.

On the other hand if there are 100 hoods it drops to a $50 mold charge.

So again...... pricing depends upon quantity.

I realize it's hard to get people interested in a hood that doesn't exist yet but the manufacturer is really really good....and he's not going to be interested in anything that's not going to sell.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I used to work in a fiberglass plant and can go use their vaccuum mold equipment. I think I can get the plastic and most everything for either free or next to nothing ... less than the cost of the parts.

I can stop by my old job with the hood from my Leganza and my Lanos (two different times) and get the vaccuum molds of each made.

With that, I can make laminate molds because thats the job I used to do before I joined the Air Force.

The plant makes fiberglass molds for sinks, tubs, shower basins, and jaccuzzis.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'd really like to see a totally stock hood made and then sell templates for modifications.

For example if you wanted a particular hood scoop you would purchase it separately from the hood and add it on later.

You would get a template with two different marking lines.

The first line would be the cutout line and the second the glue line

Next you would take a jigsaw and cut out along the lines.

Then you would mix a 2 part epoxy and apply it between the glue line and the hole you cut out.

Next you apply a light coating of epoxy to the hood scoop and place it on the hood according to the instructinos an glue line you marked from the template.

Then you would leave a heavy bood on the scoop and let it setup over night.

The next day you have a fully funtional hood scoop.

Fiberglassing is that easy...... it's not much different than glueing wood together.

I've been around fiberglass all my life..... I started fiberglassing my hockey sticks when I was 12 year old (only got 1 or 2 games per stick so it was cheaper to fix them)

I've made sub boxes, repaired body panels (wheel flares on my 83 Celica GTS) and I've done all kinds of projects with fiberglass.

Obviously I don't know enough to make my own hoods, nor do I have the technology required to produce high quality vacume formed parts.