DAEWOO LANOS STOCK SPOILER ? ? ? HOW TO FIT MINE?

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

DAEWOO LANOS STOCK SPOILER ? ? ? HOW TO FIT MINE?

Post by UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM »

ok guys, a simple one, iv found a stock daewoo lanos spoiler for sale, i havent bought it yet, i wanted to know...

if its easy to fit on my lanos, as it doesnt have the standard spoiler, or holes for it. so does it mean i have to drill into the boot? or is it fixed to the glass, im rather confused, cheers for help guys, thanks, rez
for uk street racing, check www.essexracers.com
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I assume this is for the Hatchback. Yes the stock ones go through the glass which what I'm told cannot be drilled.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

yup i was told by some auto glass people that since the back glass is tempered glass there is no way it can be drilled.

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
bluesheepbrian
Expert

Post by bluesheepbrian »

lanos2001 wrote:yup i was told by some auto glass people that since the back glass is tempered glass there is no way it can be drilled.

nick

So how the hell does it install?
2002 Daewoo Lanos HB
www.evo-imports.com
www.myspace.com/bluesheepbrian
"Beating a Honda is like banging a fat chick. Everyone can do it but who wants to brag about it?"
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

the ones that came with the spoiler had them drilled at the factory or something. why it can't be drilled i don't know the specifics on that. i was just advised not to do it. the only other way would be to maybe to use double sided tape since its a small spoiler or use automotive glue like i did with my DVE wing.

nick

AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

I thought that only the sport wing was drilled in and the SE wing was a stick on... no?
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

I thought that only the sport wing was drilled in and the SE wing was a stick on... no
that might be true i'm not sure on that. can someone with a non-sport lanos confirm this?

nick

greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

i have the lanos se and it bolts in not stick on i thought it was stick last year but i tried to take it off and i realized it was bolted in
2.0 engine swap in the works
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

lanos2001 wrote:the ones that came with the spoiler had them drilled at the factory or something. why it can't be drilled i don't know the specifics on that. i was just advised not to do it. the only other way would be to maybe to use double sided tape since its a small spoiler or use automotive glue like i did with my DVE wing.

nick
that type of glass is made in a way that it will shatter into peices on impact so trying to drill it will simply break it.

the glass with the holes is not actually drilled, those drills were accounted for during the glass sheet formation... i guess its in the mold or something anyways the drilling is not part of the process.

to install that... some people at daewootech yahoo group suggested replacing the whole rear glass with the one from the sport version (or the version that got the holes in it whatever that might be). i don't know if that feasable for you but it is the only way to BOLT the spoiler on the glass as drilling will just damage the glass.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Having worked with glass before, I know that glass, even the shatter-type safety glass, CAN be drilled if the correct type of drill bit and the correct drill rotation speed is used.

The reasons the glass shops say they can not drill is because there is a chance the glass will shatter, and they do not want to be held responsible for replacing the glass that they broke.

A molycarb (molibdenium carbide) diamond coated drill bit is what is needed. While drilling, cold water must be run acorss the drill point so that it does not get hot. The glass must be supported properly because any flex will cause it to shatter.

It is not easy, but it can be done.

Cliff
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:Having worked with glass before, I know that glass, even the shatter-type safety glass, CAN be drilled if the correct type of drill bit and the correct drill rotation speed is used.

The reasons the glass shops say they can not drill is because there is a chance the glass will shatter, and they do not want to be held responsible for replacing the glass that they broke.

A molycarb (molibdenium carbide) diamond coated drill bit is what is needed. While drilling, cold water must be run acorss the drill point so that it does not get hot. The glass must be supported properly because any flex will cause it to shatter.

It is not easy, but it can be done.

Cliff

You have to be carfull with the water to... if the glass gets hot then cold fast enough if will crack. At least when you blow glass that happens
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

probably the cooling water cycle is started even before the actual drilling to avoid that.

OZ how much will it cost to get that job done? might be more than a new -already ported - glass would cost??

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

kinkyllama wrote:You have to be carfull with the water to... if the glass gets hot then cold fast enough if will crack. At least when you blow glass that happens
It won't get hot because you keep the water flowing the whole time the glass is being drilled. You start the water before the drill is ever turned on; that way, the glass remains cool and never has a chance to get hot.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

mmamdouh wrote:probably the cooling water cycle is started even before the actual drilling to avoid that.

OZ how much will it cost to get that job done? might be more than a new -already ported - glass would cost??

MMamdouh
I have not priced it, but it shouldn't be very expensive and shouldn't take very long to complete.
Any decent glass replacement and repair shop should have the tools to drill glass.
UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM
Junior

Post by UK_REZ_ESSEXRACERS.COM »

thats rather anoying, theres one going for 99p on ebay.

mmm, i might just get it, and see if a rear window pops up from sport, but then its more than likely to have the spoiler on anyway.

thanks for help guys.

you sure theres no way it can be glued???
for uk street racing, check www.essexracers.com