Rims, CHECK your sizes dont believe what you read

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

DavesDaewoo
Super

Rims, CHECK your sizes dont believe what you read

Post by DavesDaewoo »

I just bought rims for my Lanos HB AN NO 18's will NOT fit, and 17's WILL NOT FIT, Without the use of blocks or body work,

My rims are 16" with Low pro 50's on em, so yea you could go with 35 40 or 45, but lowest i sudjest is 45's to save your rims, the front is not the issue, the back rubs inside the quarter panel, causing some damage, I just bought these rims and will have things worked out in the long run but i thought id post up that the common misconception that 17's will fit with no alteration is false with a 02 lanos HB,

just so ya know, and ill post up pics soon THEY ROCK

Dave
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

yeah everyone pretty much knew that. its really the width thats the problem too. i had 17x7.5 and they rubbed bad. then i got 17x7 and the threat is still there but not as bad. all that needs to be done is one either roll up the lip in the rear wheel well or just don't have anyone in the back or fat ppl too. lol you can also just go slow down when you see a dip or bump big enough coming up.

when i had the 17x7.5 it used to actually cut into the rubber but with the 17x7's it jsut grazed the edge with minimal damage.
nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I have 17x7s and have had no problems with rubbing.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

You are most likely running wrong offset. Your stock wheels have euro-spec GM offset of -49mm. Unfortunately, this is quite impossible to get in North America. If your wheels' offset is other than 45, you will have troubles with the clearance, at least on 17" rims. This may not be an issue with smaller rims.
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I figure it's been a long time since the Howler link was posted so here it is.... superstreet did an article on a supercharged australian Lanos

http://www.superstreetonline.com/featur ... index.html

They first tried 18" rims with 215/35/18 but had to swap them with 17's and 215/40/17 tires.

Note the power of 177hp.... but man did they spend a pile of money on it.

Anyways..... I've seen a pile of Lanos running around with 17's...... like GsiTurbo said.... your offset must have been too low (40??)
lanos2001
Expert

Post by lanos2001 »

but shaun has a lanos sedan. we're talkin about hatchbacks. the offset is probably the problem but like gsi turbo said its hard to get the right offset here in the US. i've learned to deal with my woo's characteristics.
i just have to over come one now before friday. ever since i got these new rims the fronts have been a bitch. not only did i have to buy wheel spacers :x (found out the hard way when i grinded on my brake calipers), :oops:

but i keep losing studs up front and i tighten them to the point i've even broken some studs. :shock: now they still shake over 50mph. i know its the rims b/c i've had the problem before. just gotta figure out what exactly now is making it loose. i think i tightened one too much and the others not as much so its off. but then again i remember hand tightening the studs and one went way past the stripped portion of the stud. like it never really stopped. that might be it as well. just needed them on for show and never got around to it. especially since i live like 5 minutes away from my job and the speed limit is 45mph the whole way. well 40mph is what the sign says. :twisted:

nick

save a tree, eat a beaver.
DavesDaewoo
Super

Post by DavesDaewoo »

Its not a big deal to me really, but just wanted others to know, Like i said, 17s should fit with lower profile tires, I have these 16's runnin on my preference of 50 profile tires, Nice ride, so i mean it doenst rub much just a slight bit, ill have it fixed tomorrow :) just thought id have some thoughts for otehrs thinking

Dave
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

lanos2001 wrote:but shaun has a lanos sedan. we're talkin about hatchbacks. the offset is probably the problem but like gsi turbo said its hard to get the right offset here in the US. i've learned to deal with my woo's characteristics.
Yes I have a sedan, but nothing is different from the sedan to hatchback. You can see in my trunk where Daewoo welded on the trunk piece and see where the original frame was a hatchback. Trust me, the only difference is mine has a trunk.
lanos2001 wrote: i just have to over come one now before friday. ever since i got these new rims the fronts have been a bitch. not only did i have to buy wheel spacers :x (found out the hard way when i grinded on my brake calipers), :oops:
The problem here is you got the wrong back spacing for your rims.
lanos2001 wrote: but i keep losing studs up front and i tighten them to the point i've even broken some studs. :shock: now they still shake over 50mph. i know its the rims b/c i've had the problem before. just gotta figure out what exactly now is making it loose. i think i tightened one too much and the others not as much so its off. but then again i remember hand tightening the studs and one went way past the stripped portion of the stud. like it never really stopped. that might be it as well. just needed them on for show and never got around to it.
A couple of things wrong here. First you should absolutely not tighten the lugs as hard as you can. You probably warped your rotor by doing this.
The lug holes in the rotors are probably stressed now from over tightening and will not hold the lug tight. I suggest you get new rotors and only tighten the lugs to spec.

You might want to look for the correct spec rims.

daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

DavesDaewoo wrote:Its not a big deal to me really, but just wanted others to know, Like i said, 17s should fit with lower profile tires, I have these 16's runnin on my preference of 50 profile tires, Nice ride, so i mean it doenst rub much just a slight bit, ill have it fixed tomorrow :) just thought id have some thoughts for otehrs thinking

Dave
my tires are 205/40/17s and I don't rub. I always have people in the bad as well.
That may chance when I lower.

DavesDaewoo
Super

Post by DavesDaewoo »

Yea thats weird, Its just the hang over from the back fender. I got a little lift today of 1 " or so, just some spacers until my body kit this spring I will have my body guy fold that up or grind it off, My rims are 16 " 50 r16's x 7.5 wide, so i think it just may be the height of the tire combined with the width that makes it rub the fender "flare" as I will call it

Dave
Stefan
Super

Post by Stefan »

daewooluvr wrote:A couple of things wrong here. First you should absolutely not tighten the lugs as hard as you can. You probably warped your rotor by doing this.
The lug holes in the rotors are probably stressed now from over tightening and will not hold the lug tight. I suggest you get new rotors and only tighten the lugs to spec.
Do the newer Lanos have a combined hub/disc setup rather than a separate hub with the disc slipped over it?

The wheel shake may be because the wheel is not concentric with the hub. Did you fit spigot rings? Do the spacers sit snug over the centre spigot on the hub? Do the spacers have a concentric ring to locate the wheel?

If the wheel is not concentric it will wobble and vibration will, in time, loosen any fastener that is not positively locked. The centre spigot on the hub is to locate the wheel, the studs/bolts job is to clamp the wheel to the hub only.

Stef
Vauxhall Astra.
T3 60trim, Intercooler, Mopar Super 60 Injectors, SDS Stand Alone EFI, Cast T3 Manifold With External Wastegate + More...
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

hmm i run 205/45R16 no problem hear dont even when silicon blocks at back or on eachother (hehe tend to overload my car alot :roll: )
woo
Expert

Post by woo »

lanos2001 wrote:
but i keep losing studs up front and i tighten them to the point i've even broken some studs.
nick
PUT YOUR STOCK RIMS BACK ON!!!. You keep breaking studs because your rims arent the same stud pattern. Even if the stud pattern is 1 milimetre off and you can cram the rims on, it stresses the studs and they break. My brother bought a car that had rims on it that were 2 milimetres off in the stud pattern and one day one of the rear wheels decided to depart. Get rims that fit properly or you may have an accident. Who cares if you have a hard time getting rims, if you cant find any ones that fit, change your brakes and stud pattern before just making do with whats available
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."