Fuel gauge not working on Daewoo Cielo 1996

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Cleasanta

Fuel gauge not working on Daewoo Cielo 1996

Post by Cleasanta »

Hi guys...greetings from Australia 8)

My son just bought himself his first car...a used Daewoo Cielo 1996.

When we picked it up...the fuel gauge showed it had 1/2 a tank, but after driving it around a bit...it went down to almost empty. We went and filled it up completely, but the fuel gauge only came up to a little over 1/2 a tank. He filled it up again and it only took in about $9 worth of petrol...he drove it a bit and now it is showing almost empty again.

Since we know NOTHING about cars or Daewoo's...I was hoping some of you could tell us whether this is a normal issue with older Daewoo's....what it could possibly be, so he can get it fixed without paying an enormous amount in repairs.

Thanks in advance :D
benzino
Expert

Re: Fuel gauge not working on Daewoo Cielo 1996

Post by benzino »

it's more than likely a fuel sender issue

i can't speak for location on the cielo
it may be in the pump or it may be somewhere else

for now, just watch how many k's you do and try and keep it topped up (or keep a jerry can just in case)
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

As benzino: fuel sender defect. I think it's located under fuel tank (very bad place IMHO).

Watch your fuel mileage. Fuel tank capacity is 50L. Depending how the car is driven expect something between 7L/100km and 9L/100km.

Hope it helps,
Cleasanta

Post by Cleasanta »

thanx guys!

He was quoted to get it fixed for AU$320...I said I just don't think it is worth it...just keep an eye on the km's he is doing and when he has done 350km...fill it up again
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Check also for poor contact(s) on connexion(s) of the fuel level sender unit under tank as they are exposed to corrosion.
Also even if fuel gauge don't gives the correct reading there is a "low fuel level" switch that light the warning lamp when ~5L remains in tank.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

we have similar issues on the lanos... the contact board of the float gets dirty and makes bad connection causing the fuel gauge to give wrong readings.

if the cielo is similar to the lanos in terms of fuel pump/fuel level sending unit design then you need to take the fuel pump off and clean the contact patch with electronic board cleaner or similar product and put every thing back on

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267