Major changes to Astra chassis

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Major changes to Astra chassis

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I have been thinking about some really radical changes to on of my Lemans/Astra/Nexia project cars.

I kind of love these cars.....

Last edited by PrecisionBoost on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

huh?
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I have been thinking about how on earth to get really big wide wheels onto the polar express project car.

I have this crazy idea to convert it to RWD with a sequential gearbox and install the GSI 2.0L 16V turbo engine running 650BHP

I want to go with larger diameter and width tires to move the gear ratio and help put down the power, and I want to lower the car very significantly.

So to me.... molding new fenders id the only real logical choice because no matter what I do with the stock fenders.... they just won't fit a big wide tire.

If I'm going to do that I will probably have a hard time with the fitment of the doors.... so why not modify them or replace them with something lighter and more interesting.

If I'm going to do the front and rear fenders and the doors.... why stop there.... why not finish it out by extending and widening the bumpers to match the wider fenders.

It would look wierd with big wide bulging fenders if the hood didn't match up..... so I might as well blend the hood into the large flared fenders.

By the time that's done the rear hatch won't look right... so why not replace it with a nice light extended hatch with an integrated support for a spoiler.

Why stop there.... why not go the extra two steps and replace the rest of the car (roof, pilars ) with carbon fiber (or in the case of the pilars.... just cover them with a thin sheet )

So.... carbon fiber or carbon fiber/kevlar hybrid over the entire car..... transforming it into ???????

The closer I can get to the Gumpert Apollo ( blue one ) the happier I will be with the looks.

I know that this sounds nuts and I'm not the quickest "project" guy because I'm so busy with my manufacturing business...... but it would have to be the number one most unique "astra/kadett/nexia/lemans/optima" chassis in the world
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

So.............. am I crazy?

Money is no object....... so I think I could make it work
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Sorry but after all that wont be a mk2 anymore, yes you´re crazy. hehehe

i will take pics of mk2 that is around here with custom bumpers and wide arches to see if you like it, the can reproduce them because they are well known fiberglass guys here.
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

PrecisionBoost wrote:So.............. am I crazy?

Money is no object....... so I think I could make it work
ummmm.... yes?

(j/k)

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

crazy? no, not at all.

if u have the time and money, by all means please build a mental looking motor!!

anything can be done - remember that. lol

if i had the time and money and resources i'd definitely have built a wide arch 4wd 2 litre turbo lanos-monster, but the fact is im a student at university and i have no money or much free time.

maybe one day i'd build something radical.

hope all goes well. and be sure to keep us posted on progress.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Efrain A. wrote:Sorry but after all that wont be a mk2 anymore, yes you´re crazy. hehehe

i will take pics of mk2 that is around here with custom bumpers and wide arches to see if you like it, the can reproduce them because they are well known fiberglass guys here.
I already made a fiberglass wide arch fender but it's simply not good enough.

I flared it 2" but the problem is that I want to go with something like 325/30-19 tires (size of Corvette ZO6 )

When the car is lowered with this kind of rubber underneath the flared stock fender style will not work

I need something that pushes out 6" to 8" right up top near the edge of the hood to allows for full rotation and clearance with the suspension bottomed out.

It doesn't matter what the body looks like..... it will still be a MK2

It's just like the Lanos..... I don't look at it as a new Daewoo.... I look at it as an Astra MK2 chassis with a different body
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos
greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

It's just like the Lanos..... I don't look at it as a new Daewoo.... I look at it as an Astra MK2 chassis with a different body
+1 same here
2.0 engine swap in the works
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

just build it.
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

cut the fenders and body panels into segments and start bending them out and welding bits in between. that way you can get bigger diameter wheels under the arches and make them considerably wider.

then extend the bits you've bent out a bit more until u get the desired width... and then add some more. maybe if the arches are big enough inside so the wheels can go right up in there and then get some really short springs to make the whole car sit lower to the ground.

i'll try n draw something resembling what i hav in mind.
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

duno if this fully conveys what i was trying to explain, but this is kinda what i was imagining...Image

i DTM racer type super wide arch sunk-to-the-ground car

a few more ideas (these steer away from the mk2, but their concept can be used if money is no object):
BTCC Astra mk4
DTM Astra mk4
DTM Vectra
Photoshop Astra mk5
Astra OPC Extreme
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

i think he is talking about more than just a wide body kit.

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

well, yeah obviously if ur gona cut up the wings and rear quarters ur gona end up with more than a bodykit, cos its not a bodykit, its just the original panels being modified...

what about this:

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I hate that Rieger widebody kit.... and I'd probably have to go just slightly wider than that kit allows..... especially in the front.

The big problem is with the doors.... they had to leave a gap in the rear of the front fender to allow the door to move out.

I would rather go with a gull wing style door and continue the width from the front fender to the back..... like most of the supercars.

Given the stock door weighs a billion lbs it only makes sense to remove it and replace it with something 1/4 the weight that is purposely built with gull wing supports in mind.

When it comes down to it..... the GSi will have similar straight line performance to that of the very best supercars

Hopefully I will be able to make it handle really well.... but I doubt that I will be able to match most of the supercars.

Remember.... were talking 650 horsepower at the wheels.... in terms of horsepower quoted at the crank were talking 750hp to 800hp.... and the car should weigh in around 2000lbs which is lighter than 98% of the supercars on the market.
2010 BMW 335D
2002 Daewoo lanos