Are These Installed Right?

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

BosnianLanos
Expert

Are These Installed Right?

Post by BosnianLanos »

Hey guys! Sorry for the long hiatus. Don't worry, everything's cool, still own both Daewoos, just busy with school (again!)

I got the car lowered over summer (June) and as I didn't have the tools or the space to do the work, I had a guy from the local car forums help me out. Poor guy took the whole day to get it all done. The fronts gave us hell...the angles made the removal of the old springs really hard, and the almost-welded tie rods didn't help either. But we got it done, and the car drives just dandy, nice and tight like it should be.

Today, after rotating my tires, I noticed that the rear springs looked a little odd. Almost like they're upside down. Granted, the writing IS right-side-up, but it would go to logic that the wider part of the springs would face the ground, and not the body of the car.

Are the springs upside down, do I have to flip them, or does it make no difference?

The springs are H&R Sport Springs.

greenbluewoo
Expert

Post by greenbluewoo »

yes thats upside down but I dont no if it will affect anything
2.0 engine swap in the works
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

they are up side down indeed

i say put them in the correct position to remove any possibility of problems in the future

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

MMamdouh wrote:they are up side down indeed

i say put them in the correct position to remove any possibility of problems in the future

MMamdouh
Agreed
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Not a tough job at all, half hour to an hour at the most. Jack both sides of the rear up like you've done with that one side.

Remove both wheels, and undo the handbrake cables. Then just get someone to hold the beam as you undo the 2 shock top bolts. Lots of jacks come in handy as you could probably do with a third jack to hold the beam up as you redo the shock top bolts.

Another way a friend of mine does it, it, get your spare tyre/wheel. Set it on the back, and use it to jack up the rear of the car using the jack+tyre combo, under your spare tyre well. The tyre on the jack helps spread out the load and hes done this loads of times including on my own. It means you can let the jack down slowly and make sure the springs are positioned correctly as it lets itself down.
SAZ
---------------------
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

jack the car up, support it with jack stands on the body (let the rear wheels swing freely) remove the top shock bolts, the rear axle will drop down, flip springs use the jack to raise the rear axle up into place, tighten the nuts adn put the car back on the ground, job done!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

daewoomofo wrote:jack the car up, support it with jack stands on the body (let the rear wheels swing freely) remove the top shock bolts, the rear axle will drop down, flip springs use the jack to raise the rear axle up into place, tighten the nuts adn put the car back on the ground, job done!
This is how I'd do it.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

why do you use the top shock bolts??

i used to take off the lower ones... keeps all the work at the rear wheel area

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

the lower ones would work just fine too. but the reason i do the top is that when you put the car on the ground you dont have to align the bolt holse up so that a bolt can go through, you jsut have to get the shaft in the hole. once its on the ground you can the reach in and put the shock nuts on. either way would work. but honestly, fron the pics of bosnianslanos's car it looks like he has the origional shocks on his car, id just get new ones and put them on when i flip the springs

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Rodd1s
Expert

Post by Rodd1s »

my springs are installed "upside down" aswell like those in the pic, and the only defect that ive noticed is occasional knocking from the exhaust cos where the coils are wider its closer to the pipe... duno if that makes sense, but ye. as far as handling goes, theres no difference i think.
Cargo cultism is a beautiful thing as long as you never fall for it.