13" to 14" OEM wheels swap

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

Couldn't get the link to work, but I did manage to find the vehicle, and I must say, it's BUTT UGLY! From the reviews I have read, it's horrible to drive as well. Kind of looks like a Aveo/Kalos/Swift, but no where near as good looking. I'll see what kind of specs I can dig up.
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

you got that right bro... it is ugly as hell yet is is getting very popular arround here for some reason.
http://images.google.com/images?q=hyund ... oi=imagest

Tango told me that most hyundais got a 4x114 bolt pattern so i think it won't fit on my Lanos... if you could dig up some solid confirmation on the Matrix measurments i will really appreciate it.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

You're correct about the 114 bolt pattern. I din't find the Matrix specifically, but all the Hyundais I did find find were either 4x114, or 5x114, except the 2000+ Accent.

Hyundai Accent Base/GL/GS 1995-1999 (4x114.3mm / HPO / 12x1.5 Lug-nut / 67.10mm Bore)
Hyundai Accent GL/GS/L 2000-up (4x100mm / HPO / 12x1.5 Lug-nut / 67.10mm Bore)
Hyundai Elantra Sedan/Wagon 1992-up (4x114.3mm / HPO / 12x1.5 Lug-nut / 67.10mm Bore)
Hyundai Excel 1986-up (4x114.3mm / HPO / 12x1.5 Lug-nut / 67.10mm Bore)
Hyundai Scoupe (all) 1991-up (4x114.3mm / HPO / 12x1.5 Lug-nut / 67.10mm Bore)
Hyundai Sonata (all) 1989-up (4x114.3mm / HPO / 12x1.5 Lug-nut / 67.10mm Bore)
Hyundai Tiburon Base/FX 1997-up (4x114.3mm / HPO / 12x1.5 Lug-nut / 67.10mm Bore)
Hyundai XG300 sedan 2001-up (5x114.3mm / HPO)
Hyundai XG350 sedan 2002-up (5x114.3mm / HPO)
Hyundai XG350 sedan 2002-up (5x114.3mm / HPO)
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thanks very much man for the help... i guess it is over for that deal now, i even took a look at the various hyundais arround here and i could notice that the wheel bolts are a bit further from the center than my car... i suppose that reflect the 4x100 vs. the 4x114 patterns... back to square 1 :evil:

MMamdouh
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

The problem with wheels from different manufacturers is usuallu the hub size more than anything. Factory rims are made for that particular brand or vehicle, where as aftermarket rims are usually universal, and you just insert the hub ring that mathces your hub size. At least if you stick with the Daewoo family, you'll have a better chance of it fitting.
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i was worried about that too... i guess i will stick with the Nubira wheels now.

i was quoted some 170LE per rim if i got them brand new (29.30 USD) but i recon i can get a better deal if i got them used.

i got only 2000Kms till my tires are officialy worn out so i will begin to sweap the market for tires... if the 185/60/14 turned to be much expensive than the 175/70/13 i will drop the project, i will keep you all posted with what i do.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i went out to a reputable wheel/tire shop and got some prices to help me decide on what to get.

for the OEM size 175/70/13 it was quoted the following:

GT Radial: 190 LE
Kumho: 200LE
Pirelli P3000: 240LE
Bridgestone: 265LE

i don't know if anyone got solid feedback on them GT Radial tires but they are spreading wide arround here... i am still not certain about how they perform.

the Bridgstone is the most expensive of then all and got 200 treadwear... i almost killed my 400 treadwear Pirellis during 40,000Kms so i suppose with all things beeing even i will bald them Bridgstones in just 20,000Kms so despite how sticky they are i will have to go with something else due to the price and low treadwear.

now i am left with the Pirelli and Kumho... both are treadwear 400 and 20% price difference, the question is: is the Pirelli 20% better than the Kumho?? i know Pirellies are very good on the wet and on the dry almost all tires are the same... i guess the Pirelli is still on top of my list.

for the 185/60/14 tires i was quoted:

Kumho: 250LE
GT Radial: 260LE
Pirelli P6000: 450LE

apparently the Pirelly was ruled out 'cause it is insanly expensive... now back to the GT Radial dilama and Kumho.

Kumho scores more on my prefrence score board than the GT Radial so i suppose i will choose it if i decided to upgrade my wheels.

now for the hard question: is the performance improvment from upgrading to 185/60/14 worth the extra money?

assuming that the 175/70/13 and 185/60/14 tires are the same price then the upgrade is going to cost me an extra 400LE more if i got used rims and 640LE if i got them new... that is what i am trying to figur out now till the end of the month 'cause i am getting new tires on November.

just to give you an idea, 1 USD= 5.78LE... OK this will make the prices i mentioned very low but keep in mind we have very low incomes here so better relate the prices i mentioned to gas prices... here 1 liter of Octan 90 gas costs 1LE so a gallon would cost 3.75LE.

if you were in my shoes...what would you do??

MMamdouh
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

If you do chose to go with the upgrade, I would recommend the Kuhmos. They seem to offer the best bang for the buck. They have the best of both worlds, performance and treadwear. I run the Kuhmo Ecsta myself, and they perform well for the money. Sure, there are better tires, but they either cost more, or wear out way too quick.
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
karim
Junior

Post by karim »

mmamdouh wrote:i went out to a reputable wheel/tire shop and got some prices to help me decide on what to get.

for the OEM size 175/70/13 it was quoted the following:

GT Radial: 190 LE
Kumho: 200LE
Pirelli P3000: 240LE
Bridgestone: 265LE

i don't know if anyone got solid feedback on them GT Radial tires but they are spreading wide arround here... i am still not certain about how they perform.

the Bridgstone is the most expensive of then all and got 200 treadwear... i almost killed my 400 treadwear Pirellis during 40,000Kms so i suppose with all things beeing even i will bald them Bridgstones in just 20,000Kms so despite how sticky they are i will have to go with something else due to the price and low treadwear.

now i am left with the Pirelli and Kumho... both are treadwear 400 and 20% price difference, the question is: is the Pirelli 20% better than the Kumho?? i know Pirellies are very good on the wet and on the dry almost all tires are the same... i guess the Pirelli is still on top of my list.

for the 185/60/14 tires i was quoted:

Kumho: 250LE
GT Radial: 260LE
Pirelli P6000: 450LE

apparently the Pirelly was ruled out 'cause it is insanly expensive... now back to the GT Radial dilama and Kumho.

Kumho scores more on my prefrence score board than the GT Radial so i suppose i will choose it if i decided to upgrade my wheels.

now for the hard question: is the performance improvment from upgrading to 185/60/14 worth the extra money?

assuming that the 175/70/13 and 185/60/14 tires are the same price then the upgrade is going to cost me an extra 400LE more if i got used rims and 640LE if i got them new... that is what i am trying to figur out now till the end of the month 'cause i am getting new tires on November.

just to give you an idea, 1 USD= 5.78LE... OK this will make the prices i mentioned very low but keep in mind we have very low incomes here so better relate the prices i mentioned to gas prices... here 1 liter of Octan 90 gas costs 1LE so a gallon would cost 3.75LE.

if you were in my shoes...what would you do??

MMamdouh

I would go first with Bridge and later Kumho, and forget about GT they are really shitty tires. I have found many people buy tires by the looks. I think you can buy 14" alloy wheels for 1200 pounds. You will not find much diffrence between 13" and 14" in accleration and in 14" will better from still, as it has more grip, surface contact, so less spin.
14" will give you better handling, faster corner, better braking distance, so go for 14". Like they say No Power Without Control. :D
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

"Power is nothing without contro" thats the slogan of Pirelli and thy got it right.

if i get the 14" i will get the OEM steel wheels (the ugly black OEM) as i don't want to spens so much money on the car.

the OEM set will cost 400LE used or some 720LE new... still thinking about it and i will give the bridgstone shop you told me about a visit, if the prices are that good i will go for them... i really need more grippy tires.

MMamdouh
karim
Junior

Post by karim »

mmamdouh wrote:"Power is nothing without contro" thats the slogan of Pirelli and thy got it right.

Ya I knew I just changed the word :D
Wow that will lokk strange

if i get the 14" i will get the OEM steel wheels (the ugly black OEM) as i don't want to spens so much money on the car.

I know a shop that sellls used alloy wheels maybe he has something nice and maybe you can trade your OEM ones with tires. The owner is a good friend of mine.

the OEM set will cost 400LE used or some 720LE new... still thinking about it and i will give the bridgstone shop you told me about a visit, if the prices are that good i will go for them... i really need more grippy tires.

MMamdouh
:D
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

hey guys... does the Oper corsa and Opel astra got the same 4x100 bolt pattern as our cars??

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i have been reading reviews on tire rack and it seems every body likes their Kumhos and hate their Pirellis... no one ever mentioned them GT radial tires and very little feedback on the Hankooks... the Kumho certanily moved into top place on my list.

i will not be getting any low treadwear tires as thoise wear too fast... from the reviews it seems that the treadwear 400 lasts some 40,000 kms and the 200 treadwear lasts 20,000... i won't buy any new tires for the next 40,000 kms so i will not get treadwear less than 360.

i also noticed today that my front right tire squeals while turning hard left and under hard braking... seems that i will be needing some serious allignment work after i get the new tires.

i only noticed that today as i drove my car with the windows open since ages... i guess closing the windows and turning the cassette on prevents you from hearing the car's feedback that might be a problem indecator.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i got myself a set of OEM 14" rims today so it is going to be the 185/60/14 tires for sure.

i got the rims from my good friend Zikas as he upgraded to 16" rims on his ride... the rims i got are a bit dirty so i will spend the morning cleaning them and all and i will go get a set of 14" wheel covers for them as well.

i haven't decided yet on what brand to buy... so far i am set on the Kumho but i want to check the Bridgstone and hankook prices too. i will probably go to buy them in the first week of November.

MMamdouh
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

It's good that you're doing your homework. Like I said earlier, I have the Kuhmo Ecsta Supra. The treadwear on them is 280. Here is the treadwear quote from the tire sticker.
The treadwear guide is a comparitive rating based on the wear of the tire when tested under controlled conditions on a specified government test course. For example, a tire graded 150 would wear one and a half times as well on the government course as a tire graded 100."
If you want to see how well they'll wear compared to your oem tires, just get the tread wear rating from them, and do the math.

As far as traction goes, the Ecsta Supras are rated AA, and temperature is rated A as well.

Like you, I did a LOT of homework before deciding on my tires, and after all the data I could find, as well as reviews, I found the Kumho Ecsta Supra was the best all around tire for the price.

Good luck with your tire selection. :mrgreen:
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5