Carbon Fibre Door panels for Optra5/Lacetti/Reno

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I'd say put some wall clocks in there. :) that'd be PymP
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

daewooluvr wrote:I'd say put some wall clocks in there. :) that'd be PymP
Yes! Flava Flav style! LMAO!!!

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

:roll:

So.........no comments........ does it look stupid?

I don't like it... I thought I was ok with the design but something is still bugging me.

I was forced to design it around the current dash/seat/door clearances.

I wanted to blend it smoothly but I don't have room thanks to the seat.

I don't mind if you trash talk about it.... as I said I don't really like it.... I just can't figure out why it looks so stupid.

I dunno..... perhaps if it was finished and some speakers were installed it might look more normal.

Seriously... any comments are welcome.... at this point I'm thinking I should have forgotten about the fibreglass and made a simple MDF panel with matching fabric..... I probably could have had that done inside of a weekend.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Id have to see it with the speakers and everything.
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

I'm not talking trash about it; I was just being silly by adding to the comment Shaun made about the clock. :)

You've put a lot of time & effort into making that panel and the final product will be appreciated by those who want it.

Cliff
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

as i sit here and look at it, i have to wonder if the "thing" about it is how the speakers come out then are at a flat serface,

if you took a ring the size of the speaker you are installing it and suspended it at the hight you want it then strech the fiber so that it makes a smooth transition right up to the edge of the speaker it would look sweet, you could play with how you put your rings so that the speakers point in the direction that pleases you the most

when it gets warm out again i plan to redo the back hatch area using the ring setup with some fiberglas making a sub inclosure and a place for my pumps, tanks, houses and valves, and maybe a place to stick the battery
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:I'm not talking trash about it; I was just being silly by adding to the comment Shaun made about the clock. :)
I was saying that you could trash talk it if you wanted too.... I don't like the looks of it so I want honest opinions even if they are negative.

I know you guys were just joking about the clocks. :)

I just can't quite figure out why it looks so wierd. :?

Woohoo.... I'm not 100% sure of what you are talking about.... I'm having a hard time picturing it.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

this is kinda what im talking about. this is some honda civic i found on the web

Hope this helps
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok... that's what I figured you were talking about.

I could do that with a router around the edge to give it that look.

I think I'm going to simply make a panel off the existing mold and see what it looks like after the speakers are put in.... plus I need to make sure everything will fit right.
debo890
Super

Post by debo890 »

that civic looks alot like a banana. green on the outside yellow on the inside. yum. :lol:

honestly Erfinder, that fiberglass door looks very good for an unfinished product. you need to make it smoother and see the finish product, then you would know if it is good or bad. you cant guess what it would look like when it is not done, but when it takes its final shape you then know what you've got. just my 2 cents. :wink:

is it heavy or light?
got drift?
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

This is just the mold so it's really heavy.... I'm going to make the first panel out of light fibreglass... should weight about 2 lbs.

The real one will be thick... with multiple layers as it will be housing some fairly powerfull speakers so I want to make sure it doesn't resonate.

I will start off thin and light and add to the panel where ever I think it needs to be more rigid.

I will proably also use some 1/4" MDF as in intermediate layer around the speaker mount....this will help make things rigid as the MDF will absorb the resin fairly well.

It's also possible that I might reinforce the structure with some aluminum but that can become expensive so I'm only going to use it if I absolutely half to.

I've started to cut out parts of the mold ( around the door handle and window controls ) and it's looking more like a normal panel.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ok... I did some painting and put some speaker grills in the holes just to see what it would look like....

I painted it black, then chrome, then light coat of black and finally a light coat of chrome.

I just figured I'd give it some texture to see how it looks.

I don't mind it now that I've put things together.... Tom (360Dynamics) suggested I try and smooth out that upper curved line above the speakers.
Wolf-Spirit
Expert

Post by Wolf-Spirit »

think tom is right :) looks like a pretty sharp turn compared to the rest off the smooth ones on the panel.
Other then that great work looks really nice :)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I tried to use Paint Shop Pro to smooth the edge a little.... I do like the results even if it looks a little fake.

kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

when you smooth out those edges it will look really really nice. Good work
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama