CF Trunk

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

inmysite

CF Trunk

Post by inmysite »

Just wondering if anyone has though of the idea to put a carbon-fiber trunk on there Nubira/Forenza/Optra/Leganza or if anyone has ever tired to build one for this car.

just curious I am thinking about some ideas for the car to piece it together. CF hood + CF trunk and maybe an evo wing or something like that. Any help.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Ya.... eventually I will get to it.... working on CF door panels at the moment.
inmysite

Post by inmysite »

oh yeah send me some pics when you are finished with them please i am interested to see what they will look like.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

There is allready a post on my carbon fibre doors..... I just haven't updated it for a while because I've been very busy with other things.... if you search around you will see it... I show me making the mold off the original panel and modifying it to look like I want it to.

The passenger side is about 85% finished.... I have to locate the speaker holes, make a reverse of the mold and try it out on the door to make sure everything fits.

Then I have to quickly fabricate an interior portion to the panel since the speakers are going to be 100% enclosed within the door panel. ( guessing 1 Cu ft of space )

This much space should be more than enough for most door speakers and if you need to decrease the volume you can just add polyurethane foam to fill up the unneeded space.

The tricky part is doing the other door and making it identical to the passenger side so that it looks good.

This will probably end up as a winter project because of the engine work I'm about to get into but I hope to complete it before the start of next year.
inmysite

Post by inmysite »

hey just wondering would you sell me a set if you made another one of them both seems like a really cool idea.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Eventually they will be for sale.... I can't say when because it's not a huge priority yet.

I will probably leave the final fabrication to GsiTurbo as he is partnered up with one of Canada's best fibreglass production guys (now retired)

He makes some really cool stuff.... he made a Skidoo hood that weighs about 1lb and is virtually unbreakable ( he jumps on it to prove his point)

I have to make the prototypes because I want the molds to be exactly the way I want them (as opposed to having someone else do it how ever they felt like doing it)

Most companies wouldn't go to the effort of making a multi layer component to seal the speaker completely but I figure it will give a very solid sound with significantly less resonance ( doors are bad for that....window rattles.... metal panels flex.... moisture barrier flaps around )

Needless to say I don't want a cheap piece of junk that's thrown together inside of a week.