17x7 on 2002 Lanos Hatchback?

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

darkspeed415

17x7 on 2002 Lanos Hatchback?

Post by darkspeed415 »

Im thinking of buy these wheels for my Lanos....just want to be sure that they will fit..
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... 4-100&rw=7[/url]
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I'm pretty sure 17's work just fine up to 17" X 7"

If I remember correctly the "australian howler" car ( from hot 4's magazine) originally had 18" rims with 215/35/18 tires but they rubbed on the fenders.

I think they ended up with 17" rims with 205/40/17 or 215/40/17 tires.

I was looking at 215/40/17 tires for my lanos ( before I sold it to a friend and bought an Optra 5)
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

The big thing you have to worry about is your offset since this will determine if your tires are going to be too far out towards the fender.

I sometimes get mixed up on this but I belive that less offset moves the edge of the tire away from the car towards the curb.

So less offset will make your tire want to hit the fender.

I think the stock offset is 49mm but it's rare to find this kind of offset.

I think 45mm is fine but once you get down towards 40mm it might be getting close.

Best thing is if everyone that has 17's post your tire size and rim offset.

Then you will know for sure.... oh ya.... maybe guys should post their car height ( stock vs lowered )
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

I am running 17X7.5 with 35ET on my Lemans (Lanos is based upon that), and the only mod I had to do was to roll the rear fenders (the lip). So u should be ok.

Post by darkspeed415 »

i forgot to mention i have a hatchback, if that makes a difference. The rim size is 17X7 4-100/114. 42CA so +42 is the offset right?
mocpac

Post by mocpac »

They will fit. If you have lowering springs you will have a little problem. Use tire 205/40/17 if you use 45/17 you will have problem when take curves. -the tire will scrach the interior part of the wheel area. (Sorry I can remeber the word in english)
ImageImage
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I have 17"x7 with 205/40/17s. My rims are 40 offset and no rubbin' and no rollin' of the fenders. :)

yet: I am droppin' it about 1.5" soon so we'll see what happens.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

daewooluvr wrote:yet: I am droppin' it about 1.5" soon so we'll see what happens.
I tought it was already low... going lower? :roll:
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
darkspeed415

Post by darkspeed415 »

awesome thanks alot guys. Now is the hard part: convincing parents, and grandparents that the rims are 1. safe 2. good value 3.everything else hehe

my grandpa is totally against me modding my car, but each time he eventually gets over it. so ill have to see what happens. so far ive priced them at about $900 for new rims, all mounting hardware, and nice tires. this is at tires.com. im looking at Konig Driver.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i was watching a thing on speed vision, i dont remember how they figured it out but they had a formula for figuring the right rim and tire size for a car, and for small cars they never went above a 16" rim
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

They probably take into account the advantage of the sidewall strength that comes from a lower profile tire vs rim weight.

Stiffer sidewall = better cornering
Heavier rim = more rotating mass + slower acceleration.

17's are for "show"..... if you were serious about racing superlight 15's would probably be the way to go.

I had an Austin Mini Cooper for about 3 days and it had real Magnesium rims... I think they were 11" or something like that.

Talk about light....they only weight a pound or two each.... I hear that they are scary though.... if you blew a tire and the rim hit the pavement it could start on fire and melt the whole ass end of the mini (very powerfull and hot fire)

I bought the car off a guy that had it in his barn for about 20 years.... it was smacked up and the engine was blown but I managed to make about $3000 on the deal (bought it for $300 ... sold the car for $2300 and the rims for $1000 )

It was a sweet deal.... real mini coopers are like gold.... very rare.... most are normal mini's converted over to cooper specs ( some go so far as to swap the VIN tags to make them seem original )
darkspeed415

Post by darkspeed415 »

yeah i realize that putting 17's on there will result in slower acceleration but i dont really .......hmmm maybe i need to rethink this decision...
darkspeed415

Post by darkspeed415 »

ok heres a better selection: Konig Theory 15X6.5 4-100/114.40SM
with Hankook Ventus. total $700. i actually like the smaller wheels now that i think about it, for reasons including fitment, weight, looks also. Im aiming for the look of the Blue Lanos in the gallery.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Rotating mass sucks.... but you can go to a larger rim as long as your carefull about the weight of the rim.

For example.... if you bought a Velox Progear 17" it would only weigh about 12lbs because it's a forged rim

On the other hand if you picked up a much cheaper cast rim that same design could weigh 22 lbs

Needless to say the forged are nearly half the weight but you can expect to pay twice or three times as much money as the same design in a cast rim.

I still think 17's are nice.... I wouldn't care about the acceleration..... I'd much rather have low profile tires..... you can allways add power to make up for the loss in acceleration but you will have a hard time making the suspension tight with big thick sidewalls.

My opinion is to go with the 17's.... you will loose some accleration but gain cornering ability.... which will make your car feel faster.

So it's a trade off..... faster in the corners vs faster in a straight line

Me personally.... I'd choose corners.... the amount of time you will loose with 17" rims is next to nothing.
darkspeed415

Post by darkspeed415 »

well since my car still has a warranty, engine mods are not really an option to me now. so making my car "fast" is not a huge priority to me. i understand that the dynamics of this car make it a good platform for creating a road hugging machine. dont get me wrong, i love the look of larger wheels, but cost is too high for me, plus i want to acheive low weight as well, making a smaller wheel an ideal choice for me. i realize i wont be able to get the amount of grip that a wider 17 could give me, but i prefer to have a more managable size on my suspension. i drive pretty hard and i can already feel the effects on my suspension. my plan is to continue upgrading this car as much as possible, until most of the major parts are replaced, eventually making a very solid car.