installing horns how to?

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kroz123
Expert

installing horns how to?

Post by kroz123 »

Hey guys this ? is about installing horns in my other car a Nissan 300zx sry to bring another another brand to the forum.
But I need help.

I recently bought a Nissan 300zx but the first owner change the steering wheel to a racing type and cutted all the wires for the horn dumb ass.

Now I bought a set of horns it came with two one for high and one for low and a relay.

I wanted to rewire the horn again and I don't want to splice thru the stock wires so how do I install the horns.

All info would be highly appreciated thanx. :D
T18SED Engine.

DaewoLeganza
banned

Re: installing horns how to?

Post by DaewoLeganza »

kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

thanx man al other info are still welcome.
T18SED Engine.

chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

parts:
1 relay
16-14 gauge Wire (lower is thicker)
4 female spade Wire Connectors
3 ring wife connectors
3-5 um forgot what they are called but they splice 2 wires together
1 set of harnests
1 inline fuse

tools:
wire snips
connector crimps
wrench

optional parts:
shrink wrap to make things look nice

ok set one is getting everything

you want to install a switch(button) inside your car one side to positive power and the other to pin 86 on your relay

Then connect pin 85 to ground (also negative)

ok now you want to take the postive lead from the harnest hook it in to the 30 pin on your relay.

ok almost done. now you want to put a conector on the end of your inline fuse and connect it to pin 87. (i'll explane about the fuse at the end) then connect a longer wire and run that directly to your battery postive terminal.

last part is selecting your fuse use what they reconmend.

here the only picture i have from mine

top wire being pin 30 (to the horn)
bottom being pin 87 my fuse conneced in from the battery
right being pin 86 the wire from the switch connected to positive.
left being 85 the line going to ground.

also there are 2 diffrent types of relays you might find single pole and doube pole. it come with an extra pin 87a. for this do not use this type because pin 87a always has power going to it when the lights are off, and you would be leaving a large open power sourse sitting there.

ummmm this is a copy and paste from my harnest upgrade post, it's the same process, just now your installing your own switch and wires for it, to activate a relay you need to put the switch on the positve side (pin 86), you can use ground (pin 85) but our cars are negative ground and chances are your relay is made the same way too if something was to go wrong internaly it would shoot the current to ground. connect both horns to the same relay and switch, and just connect to negitve wire to ground (rember ground is negative in most cars). also if your worried about the switch having too much current dont, the switch only activates the relay that can normaly handel around 30 amps (or 360 watts)
http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2080
-all you ever need to know about lighting
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

You could always just hold this out of your window when you drive and use it when you need it:

LOL

Cliff
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:You could always just hold this out of your window when you drive and use it when you need it:

LOL

Cliff
:lmao:

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

TheGreatAndPowerfulOz wrote:You could always just hold this out of your window when you drive and use it when you need it:

LOL

Cliff
yeah funny lol
T18SED Engine.

kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

chronoti wrote:parts:
1 relay
16-14 gauge Wire (lower is thicker)
4 female spade Wire Connectors
3 ring wife connectors
3-5 um forgot what they are called but they splice 2 wires together
1 set of harnests
1 inline fuse

tools:
wire snips
connector crimps
wrench

optional parts:
shrink wrap to make things look nice

ok set one is getting everything

you want to install a switch(button) inside your car one side to positive power and the other to pin 86 on your relay

Then connect pin 85 to ground (also negative)

ok now you want to take the postive lead from the harnest hook it in to the 30 pin on your relay.

ok almost done. now you want to put a conector on the end of your inline fuse and connect it to pin 87. (i'll explane about the fuse at the end) then connect a longer wire and run that directly to your battery postive terminal.

last part is selecting your fuse use what they reconmend.

here the only picture i have from mine

top wire being pin 30 (to the horn)
bottom being pin 87 my fuse conneced in from the battery
right being pin 86 the wire from the switch connected to positive.
left being 85 the line going to ground.

also there are 2 diffrent types of relays you might find single pole and doube pole. it come with an extra pin 87a. for this do not use this type because pin 87a always has power going to it when the lights are off, and you would be leaving a large open power sourse sitting there.

ummmm this is a copy and paste from my harnest upgrade post, it's the same process, just now your installing your own switch and wires for it, to activate a relay you need to put the switch on the positve side (pin 86), you can use ground (pin 85) but our cars are negative ground and chances are your relay is made the same way too if something was to go wrong internaly it would shoot the current to ground. connect both horns to the same relay and switch, and just connect to negitve wire to ground (rember ground is negative in most cars). also if your worried about the switch having too much current dont, the switch only activates the relay that can normaly handel around 30 amps (or 360 watts)
than for the info man 8)
T18SED Engine.