Tires

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

OneRareWoo

Tires

Post by OneRareWoo »

I have a set of 16"x7" Enkie RS6 Rims, I am looking a a set of 205/40/16 tires. I do not like the (40) profile, it seems to small. My question is, Will (50) profile tires fit? If so do you think that it will good or bad with (50) profile tires. I have a 2002 Daewoo Lanos HB. Thank you for your time, and please have a wonderful day!
Got Woo?
buzzedtop

Post by buzzedtop »

Technically, you should be looking for 195/45-16 to match the height of your original tires/wheels (so that your speedo remains correct.) However, 195/45-16's are kinda hard to find (not very many companies make them.)

195/45-16 will give you an overall section height (height of the tire component of the height) equal to 175.5 mm

You could go with 205/45-16's, which are a little bigger than the original tire, but shouldn't rub or mess up your speedo too much.

205/45-16 will give you an overall section height equal to 184.5 mm

I wouldn't go with 50's at all. They might fit on the rim, but they would probably mess up your speedo reading pretty good. (they also might rub if you lower your car)

205/50-16 will give you an overall sectional height equal to 205 mm !!! (which would make your car a little over 1" taller)
195/50-16 will give you an overall sectional height equal to 195 mm !!!
(which would make your car a little under 1" taller)

Anyway... the lesson is to make sure the tires won't rub, and to preserve your speedo reading, stick as close to ~175mm for overall sectional height if possible.

overall sectional height=width (195) * aspect ratio (.45) * 2 (because two sections make up the overal height.)
tango

Post by tango »

Well said Buzz. I have a Cielo so my numbers are pretty similar. However I couldn't use a 16" convincingly. My rear wheel arch is horizontal at the top so a tyre's width is a bigger factor...I'm going with 195/50-15s.
Cogito ergo sum...
nexiaaarghhh

Post by nexiaaarghhh »

All that has been said is true, but there is another side to this, if your modding a car to make a statement or just because you like it, there are always compromises to be made so you want to put a certain size tyre on because you like it then do it, but you have to compromise with your speedo being out, that`s modding :)

I have 17"x7.5" with 205/40x17 on my Nexia and it`s lowered 60mm, with the amount of moddifications to the back beam, disc`s and arches they don`t rub, actually no they do rub, but only occasionally, and with the plan to go for 18"`s and another 30 mm lower things aren`t going to get any better!!
2.0 16V Nexia 151BHP :-)
tango

Post by tango »

Thanks for the input Nex. Bearing in mind that your offset is probably spot on to allow for that. My 195/50-15s rub very slightly (at the raised letterings only) with an offset of 40mm.
Cogito ergo sum...
nexiaaarghhh

Post by nexiaaarghhh »

Erm, my offset is either 36 or 38mm :roll:
2.0 16V Nexia 151BHP :-)
tango

Post by tango »

LOL Don't worry Nex...I have one of the boxes that my rims came in to check for reference :D Here in Jamaica I doubt anybody really gives a hoot about offset. Apart from the rims diameter, the only thing people wanna know is 4-100, 4-115 or 5 lug...A pitty really because I think a lot more interesting things could be done. I figure stores here just stock a certain spec for cost saving purposes.
Cogito ergo sum...