custom carbon fibre hood?

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

kinkyllama
Expert

custom carbon fibre hood?

Post by kinkyllama »

How much do you guys think it'll cost to have one made? With some kind of hood scoop or some venting of some sort...i like the evo style? How much weight should it shed; 35lbs? I'll get rid of all the stock latching and do like 4 hood pins too. I need to get some weight off the front end.

Danny
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
jurupa

Post by jurupa »

I can ask a guy that has one for his car, its a honda hach btw, if you want.
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

jurupa wrote:I can ask a guy that has one for his car, its a honda hach btw, if you want.
Yeah..but did he have the whole thing custom made? I cant see why he would since im sure theres plenty available. Im guessing he bought a normal CF hood and maybe had a scoop molded into it?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

300 bucks plus labor :?
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Audacityracing wrote:300 bucks plus labor :?
How many hours should labor be?

Also i wanna take off all the latchs.. including the hinges in the back. Should i do like 4 hood pins upfront and two in the back? or two and two?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Neon Driver

Post by Neon Driver »

All you need then is a hood skin. For pins use 2 and 2.

AC
jurupa

Post by jurupa »

kinkyllama wrote:
jurupa wrote:I can ask a guy that has one for his car, its a honda hach btw, if you want.
Yeah..but did he have the whole thing custom made? I cant see why he would since im sure theres plenty available. Im guessing he bought a normal CF hood and maybe had a scoop molded into it?
He has no hood scoop. He drives a Honda hach back so I know aftermarket parts are common, but he was missing a fender (it got damage from a tire blow out) and he order a used one from Japan so he may go more the custom/import route. I will ask him anyway and see what he says.
Audacity Racing
moron

kinkyllama wrote:
Audacityracing wrote:300 bucks plus labor :?
How many hours should labor be?

Also i wanna take off all the latchs.. including the hinges in the back. Should i do like 4 hood pins upfront and two in the back? or two and two?

depends on the shop and how you want to deviate from the oem one. things like scoops, louvers, and cowls take more time. also, the skeleton work underneath can take time to get a design that meets your needs as well as the structure of the car. the worst a shop can tell you is that it's too expensive, so go out and get an estimate from somewhere.
boricua76

carbon fiber hood....

Post by boricua76 »

hey if anyone get a carbon fiber hood for daewoo ,,i am in..my name is boricua76,,live in washington state...can find me under this name in cardomain.com...
dog

Re: custom carbon fibre hood?

Post by dog »

kinkyllama wrote:How much do you guys think it'll cost to have one made? With some kind of hood scoop or some venting of some sort...i like the evo style? How much weight should it shed; 35lbs? I'll get rid of all the stock latching and do like 4 hood pins too. I need to get some weight off the front end.

Danny
Building a carbon fiber hood is very time consuming. You must completely strip the hood top and bottom and make a fiberglass mold of each side, then laying carbon fiber is tricky because you can see the weave so neatness realy counts. If you realy want a clean one piece look with the hood and scoop you have to make a model for the scoop and blend it into the hood prior to making the mold. If you have to change the underside bracing for the scoop, the right way would be to make the changes to the original hood (ie more time) which means some metal work. The pieces that you change can be fabbed of foam and coated in bondo but must be perfect. Carbon fiber is very unforgiving of imperfections in the mold.

The one bargining chip you have is once the molds are made the owner of the molds can reuse them and sell the hoods.
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Fibreglass hoods are just as good.... most "carbon fibre" hoods use a thin layer on the top surface and the rest if fibreglass.

A true carbon fibre hood is very expensive.

If you want the carbon fibre for looks.... then I say go for it.

For functionality and cheapness.... fibreglass can't be beat.

Carbon Fibre by itself isn't that great..... it has poor shear strength in certain directions.

A Kevlar/Carbon fibre weave is the best alternative as the kevlar makes up for any problems with the carbon fibre strand orientation and you still get a really nice looking hood.

So my point is...... do you want something cheap and functional or expensive and pretty?

Personally..... I'm a 50/50 kind of guy.... I probably would go with a fibreglass hood that has a carbon fibre top coat.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i dont like the look of carbon fiber so if i had to choose i would have to say fiberglass with a sweet hood scoop
Audacity Racing
moron

i've got a kevlar/carbon top 3 layers with a fiberglass skeleton underneath :D
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Audacityracing wrote:i've got a kevlar/carbon top 3 layers with a fiberglass skeleton underneath :D
Sounds like a perfect hood to me.....kevlar/carbon with a fibreglass substructure is the best cost vs weight hood you can buy.

All fibreglass is heavier than a hybrid but it's really cheap

A hybrid like Audacityracing's hood is lighter and stronger than the all fibreglass hood but it's a little more expensive

An all kevlar/carbon hood is very expensive but it's the lightest and strongest.

So to me..... Audacityracing's hood is the perfect choice for those who want the weight reduction, look of carbon/kevlar and a lower price compared to an all carbon or carbon/kevlar hood.
2010 BMW 335D
1994 Opel Calibra 4X4 turbo ( C20LET 2.0L Turbo )
2002 Daewoo lanos
Audacity Racing
moron

http://www.shopmaninc.com/hybrids.html

that's where i got my hybrid cloth from. i went with the green/black 2x2 weave. my 3 layers are 45 degrees offset so that i have total lamination in all directions.

they have lots of interesting color combos and the price is really good for a hybrid material (about 30 bucks a yard)