Optra 5 Fog lights

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Neon Driver

Optra 5 Fog lights

Post by Neon Driver »

Ok the g/fs '04 Optra 5 burnt both fog light bulbs within a week of each other. Now other than being a small Asian child how the hell do you change the bulbs. I assume from the bottom of the car, but do you have to remove the plastic underneath? Also w/ type of bulb are they?

Thanks
AC
FearTheWoo

Post by FearTheWoo »

Now I'm no expert on the Optra, but chances are you cant get to the foglights from under the hood. Jack it up if need be, should be accessable from under the front bumper, may need to pull the foglight housing, no big deal there either though.

As for the type of light, it *should* read out a 4-digit number somewhere on the back of the plastic part of the bulb (dont touch the glass part, the oils on your finger will cause it to explode at high temps!) :shock:

Its not uncommon for them to go in succession like that, and may even be convenient, as you'll want to replace them in pairs anywho.

Good luck.

-Geoffrey
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

You can get to them from under the car, behind the front bumper. It's tight, but not impossible. What bulb is it? I can't remember, but my stock fog bulbs have been going for a year now, no problem. Might want to try and sqeeze a set out of the dealership under the "good will" waranty GM offers without telling anyone. :lol:
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

Ok, I think I remember. The Optra 5 fogs are either an 880 or an 881 bulb. One has an angled connector, the other is straight. Can't remember which is which or what one you need, but it should be on the bulb when you pull it out anyway.
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
Neon Driver

Post by Neon Driver »

Well I tried reaching up from under the car but my hand gets stuck about an inch from the bulb. I get caught on the black flashing under the car.

AC
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

Neon Driver wrote:Well I tried reaching up from under the car but my hand gets stuck about an inch from the bulb. I get caught on the black flashing under the car.

AC
Try jacking it up?

When you find out exactly what size bulbs they are be sure to let us know
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama
kroz123
Expert

Post by kroz123 »

kinkyllama wrote:
Neon Driver wrote:Well I tried reaching up from under the car but my hand gets stuck about an inch from the bulb. I get caught on the black flashing under the car.

AC
Try jacking it up?

When you find out exactly what size bulbs they are be sure to let us know
Wel man you'll need to remove the headlights to acces down to the fog lights trust me I changed mine too but not cuz they were burnt out just cuz i wanted brighter bulbs.

Headlight bulbs:

High beam:H1
Low beam: H7
fog lights: 880

There's your answer.
T18SED Engine.

ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

Actually, the bulbs in the Optra 5 are both H7, and the fog is 880. I never took out my head lights to get at mine. If it's warm enough tomorrow, I'll see if I can figure out how I got mine out, maybe take a couple of pictures, but it's -4 right now, so I'm not too keen at the moment. :)
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
Neon Driver

Post by Neon Driver »

I hear ya man I'm in Mississauga, so I more or less am getting the same weather that you are.

If you do figure out how to get the bulbs out let me know. Judging by the one finger salute in your avatar your hands are slightly larger than mine, so if you can do it I'll have n/ps :lol:

AC
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

ChiPPy wrote:Actually, the bulbs in the Optra 5 are both H7, and the fog is 880. I never took out my head lights to get at mine. If it's warm enough tomorrow, I'll see if I can figure out how I got mine out, maybe take a couple of pictures, but it's -4 right now, so I'm not too keen at the moment. :)
Shit.. you sure? I just ordered h1 for my highs... i also got from somewhere that the highs are h1
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
Neon Driver

Post by Neon Driver »

I'm pretty sure that the projectors are H7, but I have yet to touch the highs so I have no clue.

AC
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

Yeah, my Optra 5 uses H7 for both the high and low beams. I have Eurolite XBs for the highs, and Eurolite Super Plasma for my projectors / lows. I think maybe the regular Optra uses the H1 / H7 set up.
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

ChiPPy wrote:Yeah, my Optra 5 uses H7 for both the high and low beams. I have Eurolite XBs for the highs, and Eurolite Super Plasma for my projectors / lows. I think maybe the regular Optra uses the H1 / H7 set up.
Oh yes i forgot the reno/optra 5 has projectors.

Can anyone confirm that the forenzas highs are h1?
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

Yeah, just checked the Sylvania web site, and it lists the Forenza / Optra as having H7 Lows and H1 Highs. I think the European and Asian Reno / Optra 5 / Lacetti do not have the projector head lights, and probably use the H1/H7 set up as well, but I can not confirm that.
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

Ok, I had a look under the car, and I remember how I got the fogs out. There is a plastic panel bolted to the front bumper with two bolts, and it goes all the way around to the wheel well. If you unbolt the few bolts under the bumper, you should have enough room to remove and install the fog lights, if not, you might have to take out a couple of the wheel well bolts as well. Hope this helps.
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5