Alignment problems... HELP!

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

The car pulling to the right under acceleration is actually very normal, it's called tourque streer. Having to pull out the shocks and turning them around for a wheel alignment, I have NEVER heard of. I don't know how things work in Egypt, but in Canada we have what's called a "Better Business Burau," which is basically a watch dog for bad businesses, and they warn people about bad people, and help promote the good people. It works in theory, kind of. Anyway, if in deed this guy did mess with your suspension, then it is his obligation to correct the problem, and if he refuses, I would call the police and have him charged with fraud. It looks to me like the guy "created" a new problem for you, so you can go back to him to get it fixed, so he can make some more money off you. :x
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i will not go to that MO FO again... i wish i was able to do so and kick his ass but what good will it be if he messes the car again??

i will go to my mechanic to get the strut back to its normal position then try to manually fix the alignment to the best i can then go to a gas station i know that got an alignment service using a computer... this time i will be more careful with what people do to my Woo.

elhamy_201: you needed feedback on this guy??? i guess you had enough feedback so far huh?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

BTW... does anyone got the correct settings for camber, caster and toein/out for a Lanos?

MMamdouh
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

caster is set by the factory :wink:

camber takes the special wedges/cams to change.. so i doubt your out there...

as for toe, i don't know off the top of my head. my repair manuals for the lanos should be here in a few days (i bought the big mofo's). i would set it between 2 and 0 in, makes for a more responsive car without loosing strightline stability too bad. 0 toe on our cars might be bad (hard to steer at all) so watch that.

ya know... i've never looked into it, but does the woo have ackermen steering? :?
Audacity Racing
moron

Post by Audacity Racing »

hey mmamdouh... have you noticed any severe bumpsteer (where you hit a bump and the steeringwheel twists out of your hand and pulls your hand with it a little bit)?
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

i have noticed just a little bit of that but it is not a violent as you discribed... if i left the steering on the center position and hit some bumps it makes the steering tilts a little to the left, if i am holding the steering with my hand the bumps can't tilt the steering knowing that i am not holding the steering that hard as if it is going to run away or so.

also on the measurments sheet i got i saw the AFTER ADJUSTMENT measurs say i got zero toe on both wheels... no idea if that is the correct settings or not. :roll: but still the car is pointy as an arrow when going straight... a bit heavy on the steering but that could be due to the new, more stiff tie rod ends.

i think basicly the guy messed up the caster and adjusted the toe afterwards... thats why the car is pointy but missbehave when suspension is compressed or at least that is what i think.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

yesterday was a long day... i was going to the mechanic to fix the top mount of the left strut and i have noticed that when i am going over a speed bump the steering wheel goes to the left as i go up then goes to the right as i go down... clear evedence that the suspension movement disrupts the steering mechanism.

i have also noticed that the car feels a little fluid as i reported before... i didn't know if that is due to a rear suspension problem or due to the different, low profile tires that i have now or just my imagination.

when i flick the car in a series of miedum left/right/left sworvs at some 90 to 100 km/h i feel that the rear wants to drift and wonder on its own... OK no one drives like that but that is not the normal responce i used to get from the car, i have did that before in a more violent way and at higher speeds and the car was more furm and controllable.

anyways i got the strut back to its normal position and as i expected the car pulled to the right, the steering disrupt and pulling during braking was gone... one down two to go.

i went to an alignment shop recommended by my mechanic and the did the front alignment... he told me the car pulls to the right and started working on the left wheel right away... seems that guy knows what is he doing.

he also told me that the rear left wheel is a little bent... it has a kinda little toe in so it is pointing a little bit to the right and he showed me that on the computer screen :evil: now the fluid feel makes sence.

he told me it can be fixed :roll: when i asked how is he going to do that and he said that he will but this kinda washer between the rear suspension member and the axel base so that this washer offset the bend effect and put back the wheel into its correct position.

when he told me that i suddnly flashed back to this article:
http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3608

he is going to do something like this camber adjustment trick but this time he is going to use the upper and lower front screws to make adjustments to the toe rather than the camber... seems like a pretty logical solution.

my mechanic said i should replace the rear suspension member but that is going to cost loads of money and time... i am more inclined to try this toe adjustment trick and see if it works, the alignment guy told me its going to work and now i have an article proving that this is doable... it only depends on where to put the washers and you can do whatever you want with the rear wheel alignment.

now guys what do you think? i know that this solution is not 100% air tight but what do i have to lose?? the job won't take 30 min. to do and will cost some 30LE (less than 5USD) so if it doesn't work i will get a new rear suspension member but if it works it will save me loads and loads of money and time.

anybody got comments on that? anythings to look for during the job? probably will do that next week as i am dead tired this weekend and will use it for a good, well deserved sleep.

MMamdouh
daftmajin
Expert

Post by daftmajin »

How new are the tires? I remember when my new tires were mounted that the car felt very loose. Are the tires nice and broken in yet? That could explain the rear drifting out and the fluid feeling you have. As for the rest of your problem the only thing that comes to mind is the incorrect installation or the strut mount.
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

my tires are brand new... done 230 kms with them so far over the past 10 days, what do you mean by "broken in"??

MMamdouh
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

New tires usually require a few kilometers/miles of use before they are broken in, and scrubbed the "newness" off of them. Mine took about a week to wear in nice, but I don't drive much, so most people put more k's on their car in a day than I do in a week. Once they are worn in, they won't look new ant more, they will be that gray color that tires normally go on the treat surface, instead of the shiny look they have when first installed as new.
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

IC... thanks for clearing that out but i have 2 questions:

1- how much does it take in terms of miles or Kms to break in a tire?

2- what are the symptoms that are associated with a non breaked in tire?

MMamdouh
ChiPPy
Junior

Post by ChiPPy »

Well, a few hundred Ks or so should be good. Once a tire is broken in, you get all the grip that it can offer. When it's new, it doesn't always offer the maximum grip, because there are still production oils and residue in the rubber, which is why they seem a little shiny. Also, once you put the tires through a few heat cylces, (heat up to optimum temperature then cooling off,) they cap will cure properly. Don't worry, a week of driving should take care of that.
My Chevy Woo
2004 Chevy Optra 5
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thanks for the help... you are the man! :wink:

also thanks for all the Woo friends that helped me out, will keep you all posted with what i do next with the alignment and all.

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

went to my third alignment shop today with zikas to sort my problems...

this shop is in my favorit gas station i always go to to wash the woo, i was more attentive to what the guy was doing and the kind of equipment he got... apparently the tools he got are more advanced than the other two shops and also it was in a very good shape compared to the jung the other guys had.

i got a 4 wheel alignment and the guy reported that the rear axel is OK... he also made some manual measurments to make sure of it, my rear suspension member is intact :twisted:

for the front is showed some real messing... he sorted it out in about 10 min. (the first shop took some 30 min.) and i am testing it at the time... the initial feedback is very nice.

if anyone need a decent alignment shop then this is the one to use (so far till more feedback comes in).

MMamdouh
karim
Junior

Post by karim »

That's good. I am sure you feel happy with the car now.