Best "street" tires

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Best "street" tires

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I was wondering what all of you had to say about the best performance tires on the market.

I'm really torn right now because there are so many decent tires to pick from.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a set of 215/35/18 TOYO Proxes T1-S or a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions.
Maximus
Expert

Re: Best "street" tires

Post by Maximus »

Erfinder wrote:TOYO Proxes T1-S or Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions.
Very good tires, if your climet is warm that Toyo will be grat couse they are softer and they stick to the road very well. You could also think bout Yokohama AVS - grat tire.
Erfinder wrote:a set of 215/35/18
For Lanos :?: :shock: not too big :roll:
Image Image
Efratech
Admin

Post by Efratech »

Since i dont drive a high powered car... i always try to see what the Turbo guys that i know have for daily driving...

1- Nitto 555 Extreme (CRX 1.8 turbo, Integra 1.8 turbo, Civic 1.8 turbo, Toyota Celica 3S)
2- Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions (Civic 1.8 turbo)
3- Toyo Proxes (Lancer Evolution)
4- Yokohamas (dont remember the model of the tyre) (Civic turbo 1.6)

** All these cars are 350-420 WHP :roll: .... the toyota i think it has some 220+
** the biggest rim size was 17" (lancer Evolution) 16" (integra, 1 civic, toyota), the others 15"

Personally i do like the 16" with potenzas or nittos thats the ones i have seen better perform (never seen the proxes)... But with all those HPs even with the best tyre you'll always have wheel spin... i have seen and heard those tyres screaming and at the same time GRIP at full boost in 3rd gear... of course all do GRIP very well...

(some roads around here are not good for bigger rims)
'88 Pontiac Lemans GTE - 2.0 16v XE - fully programable ECU, Custom made intake manifold and other bits.
146.6WHP/135lb.ft - 14.81@94mph
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Re: Best "street" tires

Post by PrecisionBoost »

Maximus wrote:215/35/18 For Lanos :?: :shock: not too big :roll:
Yes..........they are too big..........but I don't mind modifying the car a little to make it work.

If I had purchased the orginal rims I was looking at 18 X 8.5" I would have gone with a way larger tire....perhaps even 245/35/18

Given the forged ultra lightweight rims I am ordering only come in 18 X 7.5" I'm unfortunatly limited to a maximum of 215mm or 225mm.

The new rims are almost exactly 1/2 the weight of the Dronell M10 rims I wanted to pick up. (yet the forged rims are slightly cheaper)

I even considered adding small flares to the wheel wells to give it a new look.

My car isn't lowered so that might help a little with clearance but I won't know how much modification will be required until I get the rims and tires put on.

I'd rather make the car fit the parts I want than comprimise the design and go with parts that "fit"
Maximus
Expert

Post by Maximus »

On a 7,5" rim you can easily fit 235 tyre.
Image Image
PrecisionBoost
Super Moderator

Post by PrecisionBoost »

I was told that with a really low profile tire like a 35 series I shouldn't go more than 225's.

I had 235/60/14 tires on a set of 7.5" rims with no problem.... I probably could have even managed 245's but the 60 tire profile made for a fairly tall sidewall.