? Any benefits to "stretched tires"

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

daftmajin
Expert

? Any benefits to "stretched tires"

Post by daftmajin »

Besides the "look" of it, are there any benefits of using stretched tires (using too narrow of a tire on a wider wheel)? Its pretty popular on some Euros and I was just curious about it. I have no intentions of doing it and if I did it would not be as extreme as this example (lip sticks out wayyy too much):
99 A16DMS m/t Lanos 3dr
Eng:APC/DaewooTech.Net/Magnecor/NGK/Optima/Ractive/Unique Motorsports/powdercoated valve cover/removed intake resonator
Susp:Intrax/KYB
Rollers:Falken/Rage
Ext:Dan's Decals/mesh grille/OEM wing&foglights
ICE:Audiobahn/Pioneer
woo
Expert

Re: ? Any benefits to "stretched tires"

Post by woo »

my guess would be it would be used to stop side wall flex, but whats the point in skinier tyres on fatter wheels. A wider tyre would give better grip. Ive only really seen stretched tyres on the back of drift cars, and thats because they dont want side wall flex and they dont want grip
330w carbon kevlar
you'd better believe thats a paddlin

"a woman is like a refridgerator, bout 6ft tall, 300 pounds........."
AcingTeam
Expert

Post by AcingTeam »

Hm... at first I thought those were hubcaps... but I don't like the looks of it at all.
chronoti
Junior

Post by chronoti »

i just thought they were too poor/cheap to buy the right tires, also it's popular with low riders as well.
jayw

Post by jayw »

I think they are just for people that do not understand the meaning of the word OFFSET! Those that buy wide wheels then realise they don't fit within the wheel-arches when they go over bumps and the only way to compensate is to back-off on the tyres.

Over here it's illegal to have your wheels sticking out past the wheel-arch & a car wouldn't pass our M.O.T. Test like it, I don't know what the rules are like for the rest of the world?

Besides, the example in the pic above is dangerous, one heavy corner and that tyre will jump the bead of the rim and deflate. Thats why we use tyres that fit! As most people know, it's the bead that holds the tyre on & the correct width of tyre is part of that safety system. Too wide a tyre and the tread will arc and the rim will rapidly wear the sidewall, too narrow and the inertia will force the tyre off the bead (and it doesn't take much).
2000 Nubira CDX estate (mk1)
1990 Citroen BX 16valve
1985 Talbot Samba Cabriolet
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

chronoti wrote:i just thought they were too poor/cheap to buy the right tires, also it's popular with low riders as well.
i thought that as well.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
kinkyllama
Expert

Post by kinkyllama »

There are advantages to using a skinnyier tire.. just not this skinny compared to the rim. That just looks dangerous and theres no way that that could be safe.

But for example.. my rims hold a 205, 215, and 225... w/ a 205 i will get better handling cuz like said above there is less sidewall flex.. but 225 will give me better braking and acceleration b/c its a wider tire. I went w/ 215 for my track tires.. although i wouldnt mind 225 since my car will have alot of power and is fairly light
www.KinkyMotorsports.com
04' Dropped Foreno
-Coil-overs, sway bars, 13" brakes, LSD, 235mm tires, the works
-Turbo in the works
01' Lanos Sport
-Undergoing 2.0 swap w/ lots of performance bits
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kinkyllama