Eliminating wind noise in a Lanos.

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

buzzedtop

Eliminating wind noise in a Lanos.

Post by buzzedtop »

I have finally elimated wind noise from my Lanos. Basically, the Lanos has crappy rubber window seals that don't work very well at high speeds. Sometimes I find myself rolling up my windows multiple times to get the window to shut without wind noise (sometimes I have to roll them up very tight.)

You need two things:
Weathertech Weatherflectors (http://www,weathertech.com): $55 for 3 door lanos.
Vecro (get 3/4" to 1" stickyback velcro) the length of 1 weatherflector and a little more: $8

If you don't like the look of the Weatherflectors, then you'll have to find some other way to fix the wind noise. Weatherflectors slip between the window glass and the window seal and are held on by tension, not adhesive.

I installed the Weatherflectors about 2 months ago hoping that they would eliminate wind noise. They did!, but they also made a "chattering" glass-against-plastic noise at certain speeds and over bumps. This generally occured whenever the window wasn't rolled all the way down.

I fixed the chattering noise by buying stickyback vecro to apply to the entire length of the weatherflector where it meets the window glass. I cut the stickyback vecro in half lengthwise and used a very thin piece all the way down the edge. I used the fuzzy side and just discarded the looped size. Next, I did the very front edge with a full width of the vecro (its wider at the front edge.) You can't actually see the velcro from the outside or inside of the car.

The result? perfectly quiet windows that don't let in wind or whistle when they're rolled up, and don't chatter when they're not rolled completely down. The window still rolls up perfectly, and I actually like the look of them a lot. I also don't get blasted by wind anymore when I roll the windows down at highway speeds.

I hope this helps someone else with the same annoying problem in their Lanos.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Wow ... I have never had ANY wind noise in my Lanos, at all.

In fact, my Lanos does 100mph or more almost every day on my way to work (shhhh don't let the police know!) and I don't think I have ever had a problem with that.

Odd .. maybe I got a Lanos that is quiet, or you got one that is extra noisy,
buzzedtop

Post by buzzedtop »

Well, you also have a 2002. I have a 2000. Maybe they worked out some problems. It is a fairly common problem with the Lanos (and most other economy cars too.)

Another thing: Do you have power windows? I don't. That could be another difference.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Nope, no power anything.
And I *WISH* it was a 5 speed and not an automatic. But for $5900 new, I can not complain about what they didn't have in stock on the lot.
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

i have a 2000 lanos SE 3 door Power everything and i dont hear noise either, well unless i roll hte window down when traveling over 100mph and putting it back up,, it wont shut all the way because of all the wind pressure

thats the only noise i have heard
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I have a 2000 Lanos SX with power everything and yes I have a very bad wind problem. It's been there ever since I bought the car. It's a problem with any economy car.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

I know ... every third Lanos that came off the assembly line was made so it had no wind noise.

LOL
DomWoo
Expert

Post by DomWoo »

hey you never know.. anything to save a buck