Door Panel Removal / Locking Mechanism

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

gawa

Door Panel Removal / Locking Mechanism

Post by gawa »

Ok so I have a few questions. I have a 2000 Daewoo Lanos, Runs great and fine. I have two separate issues.
1) the door won't lock when the door is open. It locks with the latch and key, when the door is closed. But when it is swung open the latch won't lock it, Which is a problem Because I like to open the door, lock it, and close. So I have to lock it with the key Every single time, Which is annoying. Any word on how to fix that?

2) I tried to take the door panel off to see what the problem was. I took off all the screws along the door panel, but it doesn't seem to come off the inside door handle. Usually there is a screw to it and you unscrew it and it pops off, but there isn't a screw on the inside door handle. So how does it come off?

I want to figure out how to take the panel off so I can try and fix the locking mechanism and Change my speakers.

Advise would be great. Thanks so much
Daniel
Expert

Re: Door Panel Removal / Locking Mechanism

Post by Daniel »

Hi,
1) This is made to avoid locking all doors with the keys inside.
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

this is not a problem... this is normal

you can't lock the door while it is open for the reason Daniel mentioned.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
bluesx

Post by bluesx »

This feature may seem like an inconvienence, but you can easily get use to it. I have
a 1999 SX. I've had it for eleven years. The only way you can lock your keys in the car is
to lay them down in the trunk, and close the lid. I also got used to the window controls
on the console. Both front passengers have control of all four windows. They are great
cars, for the money. Enjoy !
gawa

Post by gawa »

Ok Wonderful, Thanks for that. I thought for some reason It was broken, but is there anyway I can Break the mechanism? I need the door to lock while the door is open... Thats something I'm use to and when I have a bag of groceries I can't just turn around and use my key, Its a feature I can't get use to.

How do you break that mechanism?

I put a key under the car so even if I do get locked out I know where the key is at all times.

Thank You for your reply!!
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

the only way to do it would be to source a passenger side mechanism and replace it with that... but it may not even be possible due to orientation

why don't you just put the groceries in the boot?
~2.0L Lanos~EHPAS~H&R Springs~KYB/GTS Shocks~
gawa

Post by gawa »

Whats the Boot?

So what about the door Panel? The Inside Handle door won't come undone from the door panel Itself? How am I suppose to change the speakers and windows if it doesn't come off? I've taken off of the screws and Shimmied it loose from the Pop-outs.

How does the plastic door handle and lock come off? Usually there is a screw to take them off But this car doesn't have that.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

American translation: trunk...

Did you remove the screw in the armrest? Did you pop off the window winder? Did you pop out the door opener surround?
gawa

Post by gawa »

Yes I popped Out everything Window Seal and Take out every screw, Usually there is a screw for the door handle, But the Daewoo Doesn't have one so I'm a bit confused.
benzino
Expert

Post by benzino »

You need to pop out the door handle surround...