Bushing replacement help

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

Adam454ss
Junior

Bushing replacement help

Post by Adam454ss »

Hey everyone
I need to replace a bushing on my passenger front control arm, one at rear of arm. As of this moment I can tell I will need bushing (of course) and split sleeve. I was wondering would it be a good idea to get a replacement bolt and nut while doing this? (need part numbers if I do)
Also I need some schematics to help me during replacement. I use to have a daewoo nubira manual cd, but it is M.I.A. so any help with pics would be greatly appreciated. I did try using links here on the site but they no longer work.
When in doubt, FLOOR it!!!
Daniel
Expert

Re: Bushing replacement help

Post by Daniel »

When I did my control arms I have reused screws and nut. Even spilt sleeves that I forgot to order were reused.
The rear nut is a trapped one and non-visible. Rear screw was hard to remove.
The only press I had was a good vice and I had to cut the outer ring of rear bushing to extract it. This bushing has a orientation to be respected. See pic. If I have to do it again I would change complete control arms.
IMG_0240-1 65%.JPG
Adam454ss
Junior

Post by Adam454ss »

Thank-you for quick response. I will learn from your pain and just order the whole control arm. :) Since you said the rear bolt was a pain to remove I guess liberal amounts of penetrating spray is in order. :) If I remember and am not lazy at time of repair I will take photos for posting.
Thanks again!
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Adam454ss wrote:Thank-you for quick response. I will learn from your pain and just order the whole control arm. :) Since you said the rear bolt was a pain to remove I guess liberal amounts of penetrating spray is in order. :) If I remember and am not lazy at time of repair I will take photos for posting.
Thanks again!
Yes, very "liberal" amount :badgrin: .
And a 40" cheater bar too ;)
Adam454ss
Junior

Post by Adam454ss »

To remove the ball joint from the steering knuckle. Do you remove remove the "pinch" bolt from where the balljoint shaft goes through? Then using a balljoint remover, aka fork, and hammer remove the balljoint?
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

As the stem of the suspension balljoint is cylindrical and grooved, once the pinch bolt totaly removed use of a balljoint extractor may help but is not mandatory. You may insert a screwdriver's blade in the slit to slightly open the fixation. You'll notice too that the pinch bolt is of dual diameter. My pinch bolts required penetrating oil to be (re)moved.

suspension balljoint (approx ;) )
balljoint susp2.JPG
Adam454ss
Junior

Post by Adam454ss »

Thanks Daniel
Yep, so far I have sprayed all the connecting bolts with penetrating spray, twice. I am letting them soak until part arrives monday or start removing it sunday. Thank-you again for the help. Also nice thing is old lady next door said I can use her 2 car garage to do the work. :)
Daniel
Expert

Post by Daniel »

Adam454ss wrote:Thanks Daniel
Yep, so far I have sprayed all the connecting bolts with penetrating spray, twice. I am letting them soak until part arrives monday or start removing it sunday. Thank-you again for the help. Also nice thing is old lady next door said I can use her 2 car garage to do the work. :)
Lucky man! I have to work outside in wind and rain :evil:
Adam454ss
Junior

Post by Adam454ss »

Well I have the new control arm put on. Yep the liberal amounts of penetrating spray and a 3 foot cheater bar is what it took to remove both suspension bolts and 2, end to end, wrenches were needed to remove pinch bolt. I used liberal amounts of anti-seaz compound on all bolts and nuts including strut mounting bolts since I had the tire off. I did take photos.
I will post them when I get a new usb to usb cable for my kids camera. My wife wouldn't let me use her digital camera. :) So everything turned out well and it rides alot better and no more clunking noise from hitting bumps or changing gears. lol