any pointers on spraying painting

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

damian007vk
Super

any pointers on spraying painting

Post by damian007vk »

anyone out there good with a spray can??

Can you post some tips and techniques on how to get an even smooth coat......thanx
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz
All Powerful

Post by TheGreatAndPowerfulOz »

Ok ... here are some tips.

Make sure the surface that needs paint is clean and free from dirt, dust, oil and even fingerprints.
Wipe the surface with denatured alcohol to remove any impurities before you spray.

The best results will come from lots and lots of light coats of paint.

Let each coat dry before applying the next.

If you hold the can too far away from the surface, the paint particles will start to dry in the air before they stick. This causes what is called orange peel.

If you hold the can too close to the surface, the paint will make runs and drips.

After you have completely covered the surface with several lite coats of paint, you can use a very high grit sand paper, like 1500 grit, and sand it all smooth.

Respray the whole thing again the same you did before, and sand it again.

Two or three times of painting and sanding will make the item come up very nicely.

If you want, you can even clear coat the surface after the paint has completely cured.

Several light coats of clear coat, sanding then respraying will come up very smooth.

Remember to clean the surface very well after every time you sand. Any dust or paint particles left behind will get into the next coat of paint and it won't be as smooth as it would be if you had cleaned it.

After the clear coat has cured, buff it with a polishing compound and it should come up looking like glass.

A good wax will then make it really shiney. :)

Cliff
daewooluvr
Expert

Re: any pointers on spraying painting

Post by daewooluvr »

damian007vk wrote:anyone out there good with a spray can??

Can you post some tips and techniques on how to get an even smooth coat......thanx
make sure the nozzle is pointing away from your eyes... LOL :lol:
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com
damian007vk
Super

so you guys know what my goal is

Post by damian007vk »

so u guys know what I am trying to do....I wanna dye a couple of interior plastic trim pieces with some interior paint I got from g2. before though I am gonna test it out and see if it works on extra trim pieces I got since I was told that paint/dye I got from g2 wont be any good since I have armor alled the dash and some of the trim pieces, and that the silicon doesnt let the dye penetrate, but I just wanted tips....so thanks guys..(thanks cliff for the detail, and thanks shaun for your concern for my safety..LOL), so will use this tips and try it out, only time I ever used a spray can to paint, and it came out horrible as crap, so hopefully it will come out better this time...thanx again...G N
daewooluvr
Expert

Post by daewooluvr »

I believe you can use Rubbing Alcohol to remove any oils or build ups on the plastic pieces.
2000 Daewoo Lanos HB - Its green

Check me out at http://sdconsulting.weebly.com