New Here with a ?? about bearings

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

fman

New Here with a ?? about bearings

Post by fman »

http://www.daewootech.com/forum/viewtop ... g&start=30

I searched around and read this post.

I have a 2001 Leganza. I bought it brand new leftover in 2002 and the car has been serviced and maintained. After 3 or so years with the bearings started to go. I would drive and get "The HUM". It would get louder as the car went faster. I had the car fixed or so I thought. About 1 year later I had the same problem. I am in the military and had to go away for over 1 1/2 years. The car sat in my garage the whole time. I have not driven the car since I came home. I gave the car to my wife, she did not have a license so the car sat in the garage again. The car only has 60K miles. I on it. Long story short I took it to a shop yesterday and was told this morning "It's not your bearings, the rotors have so much rust on them they need to be replaced. Cost $950.00"

I know it's the bearings. The rust is surface rust from the car sitting in the garage. Besides I have never in my life heard of rust causing noise like the bearings make.
1) Is this a common problem with Daewoos?
2) Should I take it to a dealer (GM)?

I would hate to take it to a dealer but at this point it seems like every shop I go to has no idea how to work on these cars. The 1st guy told me it was not hard to do the job and he hammered in the bearings. After the problem happened a 2nd time I was in FLA and ran into a A class mechanic who used to work on the cars before they left the USA. He told me it's surly the bearings and they need to be pressed in the car. If the shop does not have a press the problem will come back. I could not get the car fixxed while in FLA and drove it home (NJ). Had no issues. Car still runs like a champ. I want this issue to go away and I don't want to get rid of the car as it's a great car. Never had a serious issue other then the bearings. Any advice I could get on how I should go about fixing this? I am not leaving the car at the shop it's currently at. Once again that whole "Rust" comment has made me feel unsure of the shop. Once again I have never heard of rust causing that type of an issue. I think the shop is being lazy and not looking, to really check.
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

$950 for rotors????????? wholy battered deep fried shit sticks batman!

even if it was the rotors (whitch it is not) the should cost you prolly $100-$150 at VERY most.

but to change the bearings, order them and the retaining rings from where ever you can get them. mine were only like $15 each fro mthe stealership for my lanos (it was years ago that i bought them so dont quote me on a price). if you know how to take the hubs off of the car teke them off then go to a machine shop that has a press. they should be able to press them in. good luck!

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
fman

Post by fman »

Thanks for the reply. I went an picked up the car. I did not let them fix it. The manager asked me why I did not want to have the car fixed and tried to sell me on the safety and "break down" nightmare but I was not buying it. I told him for $900 I could find a junker and do all the work myself and have parts for the next few years. His comment "good luck with finding one of those cars". Well what he does not know is my wife is from Romania and her brother can pick me up all the parts I need and ship them here, or at the very least find me a junker, pull a part when needed and ship it over. I just took the keys and said "Nice Shop you have here surpised the state has not shut you down yet. Have a good one JO". Funny you mention going to a machine shop. I was telling my military buddy tonight about this and he said the same thing. Only he told me the the base has a machine shop on it, with a lift and all the big toys I could ever want like the press. I have to bring my own tools, but heck it's completly free. I have off for the next few weeks, time to get greasy. Thanks man.
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

yea 900$ for rotors? u should told him to go fuck himself :lol:

good luck man, its very easy to do the rotors, i did it on my lanos and it took me like 20 min on both sides (i dint know what i was doing lol) ;)
GsiTurbo
Super Moderator

Post by GsiTurbo »

One easy way to determine if the road noise is caused by faulty bearing is at the corners. Keep the constant speed and take the corner (within a reason, if its the cause of constant speed)... if you can hear change in the sound of the "hum", it is indeed the front bearings. I have never heard of the rotors to cause noise while driving, unless the brake pads/calipers/etc are not properly installed. Another option here are your tyres. They do create road noise, especially the "lower shelf" ones.

If the rotors are rusted, they can indeed rub...this is something normal driving for a few hours will take care of. Also, does your brake feel spongy, week, etc??? With the engine off, press the brake pedal - how many presses does it take for the pedal to become firm?

Post by Daniel »

fman wrote:...a machine shop on it, with a lift and all the big toys I could ever want like the press.
My dream!
Lucky man 8) .

BTW even if a general purpose press is helpfull changing front bearings can be done with smaller hand tools (puller/extractor/..) like described in the service manual. But not with a hammer :smt082 .

Keep Woo running!

Daniel