Got new tires

Body Kits, Rims, Suspension, Wings, Lighting etc and exterior detailing.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

Got new tires

Post by MMamdouh »

i bought a set of NANKANGs NS 1 yesterday to replace my old GT champiros'... i was aming for the GT once agian or Kumho Ecsta but the GT set was way too old (manufacure date goes back to 2004) and the guy had only one Ecsta MX tire that was the correct size for my car.

the guy said them NANKANGS are good so i didn't take his word for it that easly... i logged on to the internet and checked the reviews and it was almost same thing... cheap and surprizingly good so i went for it.

after installation the ride was way more smooth as my old GTs were out of round and the drive feels bumpy even on the most smooth roads... the more importan thing was the road noise... the GTs were noisy but those are quite indeed

the only thing that i don't like so far is the "floating" feel i have... car seems to be not that grippy when you are steering dispite feeling more grip at braking... car's rear end seems to be steering in the opposit direction of the steering wheel every time to turn left or right... might sound like fun as the car helps me to drift but i'd rather drift when i am pushing the car hard rather than beeing the tandard charactristic of the car.

i am no going to rush into judgment now as i have only done some 70 or 80 kms with them tires so they are not break in yet and the car is not alighned yet (it pulls a bit to the left)

i will give you more feedback as i continue my testing but i'd also like to hear form yo guys if anyone have experianced them tires.

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Are they the same profile as your last tyre? As in the size of the sidewall?
SAZ
---------------------
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

My mate had the Wang.....kings :lol: :lol: on his 75 shot NOS injected Corsa 1600 for 2 days, went back to the tyre shop and got them to take them off and replace with A539 Yokis, said the same thing about the steering on the car just being without any sort of feel that gave him enough confidence to throw the car around the bends.

Myself i have the other thread pattern Nankangs on the Golf 1 and must admit, now that they are getting close to the wear indicator that they are just plain scary in the wet.

S
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pirelli 215/35 P Zero Nero tyres
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

Pir0 wrote:Are they the same profile as your last tyre? As in the size of the sidewall?
yep 185/60/14

MMamdouh
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

wolfhound wrote:My mate had the Wang.....kings :lol: :lol: on his 75 shot NOS injected Corsa 1600 for 2 days, went back to the tyre shop and got them to take them off and replace with A539 Yokis, said the same thing about the steering on the car just being without any sort of feel that gave him enough confidence to throw the car around the bends.

Myself i have the other thread pattern Nankangs on the Golf 1 and must admit, now that they are getting close to the wear indicator that they are just plain scary in the wet.

S
thank you for the feedback... you made me feel bad now :( (j/k)

no really you are giving me more reasons to really test the tires under prressure now... i was going easy so far as the tires are still breaking in and the gas prices went up last week so i was going easy all the way so far

MMamdouh
wolfhound
Junior

Post by wolfhound »

MMamdouh wrote:[
S
thank you for the feedback... you made me feel bad now :( (j/k)

MMamdouh[/quote]

Ooops sorry man. didn't mean to, if it's any consolation, my mate that took his Nangkings back has a nickname, Mr Fussy, because he really is a fusspot :)

I must admit to getting pretty good milage out of the 185/60x14 Nangs on the Golof 1. they are about 1mm away from the tread indicator like i said so getting "funky" in the wet.
Séan Brennan
1600 DOHC 16v
Turbo TD04
Wiseco Pistons
ex - 17" TSW Freeze
Yokohama Parado 205/40s
NOW = 18" TSW Terra's
Pirelli 215/35 P Zero Nero tyres
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

did some testing yesterday night... actually a friend did it for me

my friend is a previous lanos hatch owner so he knows the characteristics of the car and currently he owns a BMW E36 hatch with koni suspension and 225/40/17 Kumho Ecsta MX tires so for me - stock lanos owner - he is the benchmark of handling and for him it will be easy to detect what the woo fails short at

I also didn't tell him what exactly to check so that he doesn't have any expectations during the test... I just told him I need comments on the handling of my Woo so knock yourself out!

he took the car for a spin and tried low mid and high speed turns and flicked the car quite few times and his only comment was "too much body roll specially during right turns"... he also was impressed that the woo was that sticky to the road, he was expecting inferior handling

Body roll can very well be my OEM shocks that have 74k kms on them... I already plan to replace those with Monroe’s once I have the money to do it

I then told my friend about the issue I am having and he told me that "this is not tires breaking lose rather than the body roll effect... the rear of the car moves too much and tries to turn the car but the tires are stuck well to the road but that grip got a limit and body movement is pushing the grip to its limit"

A big thans to my good friend Zorex!

That seemed like realistic explanation to me as I don't think them tires got bad grip... I have went up to 150km/h and then braked hard and the car was glued to the road and stopped fast... it is actually braking much better than it used to with my old GT tires so tire grip can't be my problem... also if it is grip then I would have suffered under steer as well... that I didn't experience so far and also my friend didn’t even when he pushed the car at.... (ummm what’s the name of a street junction where their is a big circle in the middle?) and he kept going faster and faster with no sign of under steer

I can say that was a bit of a relief to me and I will do more testing when I put them Monroe’s... still have to test wet handling but the chance of that is very slim now as it is summer time... will keep you updated.

MMamdouh
Zorex

You are most welcomed, Thanx for your trust !

Post by Zorex »

As for the street juncture, its called a "Round About" in countries like the UK, Australia and Ireland (British accent), and it's called a "Square" (go figure) in the US.

Going around the round about fast is to test the grip as body roll is not a factor except at the very begining. For the body to roll, you need to switch directions.

Just a couple of clarifications to your post, for future readers.

ZoReX
I feel the neeeeed
The neeeeed for speeeeeeed :)
daewoomofo

Post by daewoomofo »

we call it a round about here in the states. or at least here in detroit

Help keep Daewootech spam free, reply "Killspam" (no spaces) to spam posts

yeah i cant type, so what big freaking deal!
Pir0
Expert

Post by Pir0 »

Same, roundabout her ein Northern ireland.

Love it when people say go straight at the roundabout [meaning take the exit directly on the otherside], makes me chuckle sometimes hearing it, as i always picture, going literally.. straight over the roundabout.
SAZ
---------------------
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

more and more testing...

tiers are grippe, shocks are bad

only thing i hate about them nankangs is the screaming sound they produce... the GTs were strangely quite... even when you lock the GTs they would scrape on the asphalt but the didn't produce the phenomenal tire scream sound... nankangs produce it very easily under braking.

wet test didn't occur yet but on some wet spots i have thrown the car and noticed slides and shit... seems that it will be as slippy as the GT on the wet

MMamdouh
Big Jeff
Expert

Post by Big Jeff »

Pir0 wrote:Same, roundabout her ein Northern ireland.

Love it when people say go straight at the roundabout [meaning take the exit directly on the otherside], makes me chuckle sometimes hearing it, as i always picture, going literally.. straight over the roundabout.
my nan told my dad once to go straight at the roundabout so he when straight over the roundabout :lol:
Daewoo Lanos SX,
1.6 16v DOHC,

sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

those are the times i got with the 18's i just picked up yesterday
sheepdizildawg
Expert

Post by sheepdizildawg »

tires*
Pir0
Expert