rear wheel bearing

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

colavit0

rear wheel bearing

Post by colavit0 »

I think I've narrowed my issue to bearings. The rear tires sound like I have mud tires on them, of course I do not, I have stock wheels. I was wondering if anyone new how-to, if possible replace them. I know you have to press the fronts but are the rears easier to do. I am pretty dumb when it comes to repairs, trying to learn as I go. I have a 2002 Lanos 1.6 hatchback 5spd. Hope I included enough info. Thanks in advance, this site is great, hard to find info on daewoos!
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

I'd like to know about this too since one of my rear wheels just started making the same kind of sound above 35mph.
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

You didn't say if you had ABS brakes ?

If you don't you just:

loosen the handbrake cable (release the hand break and pump the breaks 10 times)

raise and support your car.

pull the rear wheels. (chalk mark a drum/hub hole in relation to a wheel hole)

pop off the dust cap.

pull the split pin, the nut, washer than the hub with the outer bearing.

turn the hub over and pry off the seal (use a screwdriver to remove the seal)

remove the inner bearing.

than drift out the inner and outer races (steel rings)

clean everything. inspect everything look for cracks etc...

Than install all new bearings, races, & seals. (you have to pack the bearings)
Keep everything very clean !!!!!

Check your brake shoes for wear too. Actually? depending on miles/age, this is a good time to do new ones.

clean the inside of the drums w/break cleaner (check for ridges and scoring)

torque all nuts to factory specs.

That should cover it.
Not a very hard job but your hands do get greasy.

:)

P.S. If you do have ABS breaks ? not all of the above applies.
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
colavit0

Post by colavit0 »

Thanks so much Spider, I do have abs brakes. I have never done it before so i wanted to be totally sure what I was doing.
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

So what are the actual part names/numbers that need to be ordered and replaced? Are the Aveo parts the same as the lanos? I think I'll order them myself and have my mechanic replace them when my car is due for inspection next month. I don't want to order parts that don't need to be replaced though and I see a lot of associated pieces on daewoous.com
Spider
Expert

Post by Spider »

colavit0 wrote:Thanks so much Spider, I do have abs brakes. I have never done it before so i wanted to be totally sure what I was doing.
OK than,

What I told you was for a NON ABS system. !!!!!

For an ABS system:
You MUST REPLACE THE COMPLETE WHEEL/HUB ASSEMBLY.
(You won't be able to just replace the bearings, etc.)

Less work, more cost.

Spider
----------------------------------------------------------------
Wessock? I don't know if Aveo brake parts will fit the Lanos.
----------------------------------------------------------------
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

So do you need the special installer tools to do the bearings on a non-abs car? Or will something else work?
wessock
Junior

Post by wessock »

Ok so somebody please help. I never got an answer on what parts will I most likely need to order for my rear wheel bearing replacement. Daewoous.com lists a few different bearings in the assmebly and I'm not sure which I'd most likely need. I have to order these tonight or tomorrow at the latest since the bearings are completely gone on that wheel now. My mechanic wanted to charge $145 for just one bearing when I can order every part of the assembly for $70 on Daewoous.com so I have to order the parts myself or get ripped off. Can somebody please go to daewoous.com and tell me the part numbers I'll need for the job? Thanks.

2000 1.6l lanos 4dr non/abs