The shudder is from the rear!

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

MMamdouh

The shudder is from the rear!

Post by MMamdouh »

yesterday i did something not so wise but it gave me some feedback.

i was going home and doing some 140 km/h and i applied the brake... not so hard to lock the rear but hard enough to put some braking effect on the car, 3 seconds of that and a shudder sound started to come from the rear that is very very similar to the sound i used to complain about when i was having front rotor issues (the sound didn't go when front rotors were replaced) so now i recon this is the real source of the shudder.

now is it normal for rear drum brakes to be that noisy?? i suppose not as this is annoying to anybody

and what to do to cure this? resurface rear drums? i inspected the pads last month and they were OK... car only have 67k kms on it

so what do you thing guys?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

Thats tough it can be many things from drums to shoes to bearings and even sway bars or tension rods may even be lugnuts and last it could be a broken radial in your tire
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

ummm... then why is it only showing with the e brake applied?? i mean if it is something not brakes related then it should have shown anyways when i hit 140 km/h regardless of the state of the e brake... right?

MMamdouh
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

Well if it only happenes when you apply the ebrake its because the ebrake is not for stopping its for parking

so you have no shudder untill you yank the ebrake and 20 or 30 mph and its not designed for that thats your problem LOL s
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

the e brake actuates the rear braking system so it is the same situation when you are normally braking... what you are discribing will happen on a rear disc brakes car were the e brake system is actually a small drum system.

in a lanos the ebrake works the same way as the normal braking... it is just the difference between actuating it by oil pressure (brake master) or mechanically (e brake handle)... what i did is simply separate the 4 wheel brake into 2 rear wheels brake and that showed that the shudder i usually get grom extensive braking is comming from the rear not the front.

MMamdouh
Slammed
Expert

Post by Slammed »

I thought the ebrake only uses one shoe where as normal breaking uses both shoes right?? that would still explain the problem
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

first time to hear this theory... not sure about it

MMamdouh
Man with no name
Junior

Post by Man with no name »

Have you tried yanking the ebrake while going slower? Like if you were doing a 180 turn or sliding around a corner.

I swear, my other car shudders like hell when I do this, and it only started shuddering this bad after I crashed onto a curb
240sx
Spider
Expert

Got brake cleaner ?

Post by Spider »

Doubtful but it could be a bad wheel bearing.
(Mine have over 120 K miles on them and going strong.)
Jack it up, spin the wheels and listen.

Some possibilities:

You may have some small piece of stone or something like that stuck between the shoe and the drum of one of the wheels.
I would pull the wheels and clean the shoes and drums real good with (spray) brake cleaner. Inspect everything.
Drum/s out of round? Heat warped ?
Grooved ?
Maybe even have your helper slowly pull the e-brake while you watch the action . You can put some little smears of white grease in places that move, of course don't over do it and don't get any on the shoes or the drum surfaces.
And check for too much play in the wheel bearings too.
You know how. :)
~Spider~
2000 1.6 DOHC Lanos 'S'
Silver HB.

"The three great essentials to achieving anything worthwhile are; first, hard work, second, stick-to-it-iveness, and third, common sense."
- -- Thomas Edison
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

thanks for the advice man... will do that once i have some time to spare.

MMamdouh