lanos auto trans

Transmissions, Clutches, torque converters, Gear ratios, Brakes, Pads, etc.

Moderators: daewoomofo, Moderators Group

doughboy1310

lanos auto trans

Post by doughboy1310 »

hello
i have a question i have a 1999 lanos it shifts really hard from first to second it will bark the tires can someone tell me why then it will smooth out it runs and drives fine is there someone who knows why
thank you
doughboy
jim johnson
MMamdouh

Post by MMamdouh »

no big experiance with auto trans for me but did you check the tranny fluid?

MMamdouh
Driving is the utmost fun you can have with your pants on!
Check out my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/567267
BosnianLanos
Expert

Post by BosnianLanos »

It could be bad mounts, check all three to make sure they aren't broken or ripped. It could also be damaged gears in the transmission.

I have a similar problem every once in a while. It started after I changed my fluid. After about 30-45 minutes of driving, the tranny will start to jerk very bad into every gear. I turn the car off and everything runs fine. Very strange problem indeed
Puddle31
Super

Same transmission problem

Post by Puddle31 »

This is the same issue I requested help on.... did anyone ever come up with a cause or solution? I am sure that it has something to do with heating/overheating something through the heater controls. With all the knowledge on this site someone has to know what is causing this? Doughboy dide you ever figure this out or get it fixed?
jidasas
Expert

Post by jidasas »

Try looking at you throttle position sensor. My lanos had a similar problem...the wires that went to the tps had become worn and no longer carried a signal...cost me about two dollars to solder a small piece of wire in where the break was and it's good as new.

Jimmy
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

Jimmy,
Where is the throttle position sensor located? mine does not do this all the time, only after being driven for some time (>45' or so). If it happens, all I have to do is pull over, turn off the car, restart and I will be good to go again for a while! I figured it was some type of sensor or computer due to it resetting after shutting down. I would like to check that sensor though since someone else had this problem. thank you
buddha102
Expert

Post by buddha102 »

well, does the transmision do samething after it gets warm.... i know mine when i start in the morning and drive right away its shifts hard... but after it gets warm all the way, it shifts smooth :)
caprice

Post by caprice »

Once this happened on my old Lanos. I had connected battery while the ignition was on, and it started slamming gears, (computer glitch) so I reset the ECU properly, fixed it for me.

Might or might not work for you, but this can't hurt, its somewhat of a tuneup for it: Reset the ECU, Let car warm up, set throttle min, then perform the idle speed learn procedure. I'd use the "book" way to do each of those.
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

My problem seems to be the exact opposite of yours Buddha102. mine only happens when it gets hot, and not all the time. Like i said, heat off the floor and it doesn't seem to happen. it does seem to be a comptuer/sensor problem since it resets after i shut the car off and restart. It acts like the transmission thinks it is at high speed since it slams int he lower gears but seems normal in the highest gears. we'll see!
wolfsreign
Expert

Re: lanos auto trans

Post by wolfsreign »

ill post here since its the most replied.

but SAMEE problem, '00 lanos HB. when it gets warm or something, like ive been driving for a while, it will jump/do the hardest shift i have ever felt to where it feels like it will snap teeth on the gears. *bites fingernails* and its kind of embarrassing in my car with people in it, when my car is supposed to not be broken. >.<

anyway.. think back on it i remember go up to this park and thinking back on it i had the warm air point to feet at the time, and the other time i drove home. hmmm... i think puddle is onto something, although my other idea was rebuilding the tranny. seeing if maybe metal shavings get into it every so often.. but then it would happen more often then not. not to mention the shaving should hold to the magnet on the pan..

but buddha, where IS the TPS? if i remember correctly, its the 3 wire thing that is on the other side of the intake that move with the wire thing, which im guessing is the throttle. :P jk. and btw anyone needing wiring diagrams, or service manual pages.. i have tons of pdf on it, just no table of contents as i saved it off a site. (my dad bought a membership off ebay. surprisingly it was legit. $10 usd. haha)
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
Puddle31
Super

Post by Puddle31 »

wolfresign, call me crazy but if I keep the airflow off the floor, I don't get the code. since my airflow selector is also broke, I must climb underneat there every few days because it slowly gets jarred into floor mode. right now I am keeping that code off but last week my airbag ligth came on! I can't win with this thing! If i figure anything out I'll let you know.
wolfsreign
Expert

Post by wolfsreign »

thanks. im thinking about resetting the ECU and seeing what happens but i probably wont try that until a few days as im trying to crate/mod my grille... but yea.. my cable snapped too. at both ends! so i just gorilla glued them hahaha. and like someone said, dont let the glue go down to the teeth of the dial.
so far its stayed together. but becareful of the glue you use b.c the gorilla is like a foam, and expands as it drys. but also, if they broke like mine did, make sure you push the cable sleeve into the plastic/metal piece as much as possible, or you may not get the full range of travel.
ie, my foot selection is not foot and defrost on the dial :lol: so everythings off one.
~wolf
Death smiles at man, all man can do is smile back. :)

'00 3dr Lanos HB
-straight piped exhaust
-maroon>black
-short piping intake
dreamliner

Post by dreamliner »

I've been having this same intermittant problem on my 2001 lanos. Has anyone come to a conclusion on this. Has anyone's tranny failed from this problem?